• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Los

It will be fine. A majority of the groups ate the Gatehouse anyway, the food was better than the VH cafeteria. Plus the groups are normally in early and out before the lunch crush. I'm intrigued to see what coaches are back this year. Glad my kids went through the program, it is great.
There will be additional seating now in the bag room next to the cafeteria (currently being used for storage) - is what I’ve been told anyway. Unfortunately though, that means as far as bag areas go, only the two on the first floor of gate house and the one in the farmhouse remain. OTOH, people seem to have gotten used to booting at the car (good - more room for me to boot up comfortably inside).

And I believe the other room right off the cafeteria (opposite the old bag room), can’t remember what it’s called, will now be open for general seating - but I might have misunderstood.

HowieT2

There will be additional seating now in the bag room next to the cafeteria (currently being used for storage) - is what I’ve been told anyway. Unfortunately though, that means as far as bag areas go, only the two on the first floor of gate house and the one in the farmhouse remain. OTOH, people seem to have gotten used to booting at the car (good - more room for me to boot up comfortably inside).

And I believe the other room right off the cafeteria (opposite the old bag room), can’t remember what it’s called, will now be open for general seating - but I might have misunderstood.
That's not cool. need the bag room upstairs. without that bag room, people will leave their crap all over the place, ironically wasting more seating space in the cafeteria than will be gained in the bag room.

WWF-VT

That's not cool. need the bag room upstairs. without that bag room, people will leave their crap all over the place, ironically wasting more seating space in the cafeteria than will be gained in the bag room.
FWIW - the signs all over the place and reminders that there is no bag storage has kept the Gate House cafeteria clutter free over the past two weekends

flakeydog

And I believe the other room right off the cafeteria (opposite the old bag room), can’t remember what it’s called, will now be open for general seating
You mean the room that was called the "Blazer Room"?

Also interested in what the new Valley House will look like. Seems the order at the counter, run it to the table is becoming the new normal in the age of help wanted/ none found. Lawson's in town is that way, and many more will prob follow suit.

And speaking of staffing, in the event that there is not someone to manage the lines at the Heaven's Gate lift, it should be converted to a series of simple 2 into 1 merges like we see on SuperBravo, Valley House, etc. Right now it is 4-5 across into the final queue and without someone to direct it, people just pour through.

ducky

And speaking of staffing, in the event that there is not someone to manage the lines at the Heaven's Gate lift, it should be converted to a series of simple 2 into 1 merges like we see on SuperBravo, Valley House, etc. Right now it is 4-5 across into the final queue and without someone to direct it, people just pour through.
No problem waiting in line if it's fair and well-managed.

Los

FWIW - the signs all over the place and reminders that there is no bag storage has kept the Gate House cafeteria clutter free over the past two weekends
Exactly. Storage is no longer allowed in the cafeteria.

Smellytele

You mean the room that was called the "Blazer Room"?

Also interested in what the new Valley House will look like. Seems the order at the counter, run it to the table is becoming the new normal in the age of help wanted/ none found. Lawson's in town is that way, and many more will prob follow suit.

Lawson’s is order at counter, we give you a pager, you come get your food when it goes off.

flakeydog

Lawson’s is order at counter, we give you a pager, you come get your food when it goes off.
Oh yes, that's right, I remember now. I often end up on the wrong side and it is a long-ass walk with heavy plates. Anyway staffing shortages and rising costs are giving rise to new versions of self and semi-self service to stay operational. Some you get your own, some bring it to you, I have even had it brought over when i was supposed to get it myself. Order at the counter or order from the table online and they find you. I have seen lots of different iterations of food service as of late and I am sure we will see more evolve as time goes on.

WinS

I asked about Blazer dining today. Blazers will be using the same downstairs room in the Valley House as they have the past few winters. Finalizing logistics of feeding them given the new set up.

FYI. When I first came to SB this was where the Wunderbar was located.

WinS

I spent the last two days skiing at Stowe. Proof of full vaccination is required to enter all lodges. Then mask required unless eating or drinking. I booted up in the Mansfield Lodge and it was empty. Most seem to still be booting up in their cars. It will be interesting to see if this is the norm again and people feel safer outside. If so, the bag storage discussion will be irrelevant.

jaybird

If you notice there's a lot of portable K guns and Ratniks that run under the Superstar Nologics for the same reason. This is even more true as you get further up the mountain and lose pressure and throw. Honestly at some point Killington is gonna have to bite the several million dollar bullet and run some serious fan power up Superstar.
The mighty K3000 is still a significant weapon at K .. and likely will be well into the future. Hard to beat for rock hard base 👍

Last edited:

IceEidolon

They're actually very easy to beat for production per kW (so is any air water gun). More and more trails are going to see low E guns or fans added. Exactly when and which guns are up in the air, but if you need over a hundred thousand horsepower of compressed air to max out a 10,000 gpm pumping system in moderate temperatures... Better to relegate the old school to Plan B wherever possible. And that applies to the K3000 and any air hog at any resort.

snoloco

Most resorts are trying to phase out the Ratniks and other air hogs where possible, but they can make better snow in marginal temps, so resorts still keep some for situations where they are needed. Killington is different because they are trying to open first and hold a World Cup, and they need the air hogs to make that happen. Most resorts don't need to be as aggressive that early, so they will mostly use low-E guns, as does Sugarbush. It's really a no brainer when it comes down to the energy costs.

Hawk

I asked about Blazer dining today. Blazers will be using the same downstairs room in the Valley House as they have the past few winters. Finalizing logistics of feeding them given the new set up.

FYI. When I first came to SB this was where the Wunderbar was located.
I remember having lunch in that old Wunderbar location. We sat at the window looking out at the gondola cars. The Mushroom bar was also there at that time. Probably circa 1983. Pretty cool memories. I have always wished you guys renovated and reserected the mushroom bar and added a center fireplace. That would have been easily the best apre bar in VT. IMO

jaybird

I remember having lunch in that old Wunderbar location. We sat at the window looking out at the gondola cars. The Mushroom bar was also there at that time. Probably circa 1983. Pretty cool memories. I have always wished you guys renovated and reserected the mushroom bar and added a center fireplace. That would have been easily the best apre bar in VT. IMO
The obsession with mushrooms is somewhat troubling .. 🍻
Sad but true .. best apres bars in VT are not, and have never been in Warren.

WinS

It was and could be a great location. Without getting into all the minutia, permitting for the base area lodges required eliminating the Mushroom and Wunderbar. Subsequent new wells and efficiency allowed more F&B back in the VH. When the new VH lift was out in mountain ops offices were removed and they moved into the old Mushroom space. The Wunderbar was restored in the top floor and the cafeteria reopened. The old Mushroom space works well for Mtn ops, but perhaps in the long range plans this could be brought back as you recommended. I really enjoyed having lunch there.

mrvpilgrim

Looking at HGTV's web site The 2022 HGTV dream home give away house has been built in Warren
Watching the video tour I think i can see some trails it the distance
Does anyone have any intel on where the house was actually built