• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WinS

Is Inverness (the trail) still mostly closed for race training? I liked skiing that run every now and then. The Inverness area was not at all skied and pretty fun IMHO.
On a powder weekday when they can not train it will open and we used to open when they were finished training. The big issues are the weekend programs which have more kids than the Academy students. On a powder day both Inverness and Brambles are great runs.

1dog

Will Castlerock chair ever open again?

Slide Brook?
My kid hiked it yesterday and said it was quite good - can say the same for Inverness. . . . ever? Blue Tarp Syndrome. T'aint good. Snowmaking tho- impressive all over. Chair companion asked me yesterday if SB ever. opened last year. I didn't think so. They need enough snow under it to access all chairs and its gotta be above 5 degrees to operate. Saw a few people coming out of Slidebrook waiting for bus. Not sure if they were skinning or access from NL. Either way- its more of a risk than it usually is.

KustyTheKlown

castlerock is better as hike to.

i was extremely tempted to ski home via slide brook this weekend. i skied eden to test low woods and decided slide brook wouldn't be fun.

KustyTheKlown

the snow came in earlier than i thought it would on Thursday, and i also got a later start. i blame my girlfriend but didn't want to fight so i said to her 'hey we can leave whenever you want just realize the later we go the more weather we will be dealing with.' we left jersey city at about 2:15 pm Thursday. it started snowing once we got to route 4 fair haven. it started dumping once we got to route 30. we ended up in a caravan of slow moving cars up 30 all the way to Middlebury basically. then we went to 17. woooooo baby. snow tires! i broke trail over the app gap with 6"+ of untracked fresh snow. the car was completely fine. not a single slip, skid, or moment of uncertainty climbing or descending. it gave gf major confidence in the general safety of my car.

crank

While I have skied Castlerock many times over a period of 5 decades I have never hiked there. I guess maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and trek the trek. We're heading up next Thursday.

cdskier

Will Castlerock chair ever open again?

Slide Brook?
Natural snow cover is still very thin. Just look at any of the open natural terrain on the main mountain that is lift accessible. CR will open once there's enough snow to support the traffic.

Slide Brook...again...need more snow. Just ski some of the natural lower elevation trails and you'll see how many open waterbars there still are. Slide Brook needs the lower elevation water bars filled in so they can get snowmobiles in and out of there to access all the towers.

cdskier

That additional 6" last night may have helped give CR enough to handle more traffic...looks like they're preparing the chair for usage...

1674492975772.png

KustyTheKlown

I'm good if the CR chair never runs & it is hike only all season. It is a small price to pay for how good it skis & how long it skis good for when it is hike only.

totally. i had an amazing run down lift line, and i really enjoy the hike for the steps/cardio and for slowing the day down a little.

cdskier

I'm good if the CR chair never runs & it is hike only all season. It is a small price to pay for how good it skis & how long it skis good for when it is hike only.

At times I agree with this view. Then at other times my lazy side kicks in and doesn't want to hike there all season lol.

Blurski

I look at it this way, it is open for hiking from 10-3, 5 hours, it takes me roughly 1 hour for a complete lap from the entrance off of Paridise to the entrance again, I have gotten 5 laps in on most days when it is skiing good & if I time the rope drop correctly. When the chair runs and the line is long & it gets hammered, I do not think I ever did more than 5 lift served laps.

crank

It's been years since I skied Rumble. I'm not getting any younger so I think I will take my time and make the hike when we're up next weekend. Unless the chair is running then.

Hawk

There is no surprise the chair has not run. Just look at this year. Every time we get snow it has rained and warmed up. Looking at the storm today and what might be comming Thursday, I bet they open it. Looks like they are getting ready. Either way, not being open is not anything that is unexpected with the snow so far this year.