• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

machski

Pretty sure that's still their goal...it just takes time to properly plan that and decide where the CapEx spending goes each year...
And in the mean time, might as well work on valving and distribution which is easier to get permitted. May seem like small change, but will be needed when they can push more water onto the hill anyway.

Newpylong

Yep. You can have all the water in the world but if your distribution system sucks it doesn't matter. I'm looking at you K even though I love ya lol.

Tin Woodsman

And in the mean time, might as well work on valving and distribution which is easier to get permitted. May seem like small change, but will be needed when they can push more water onto the hill anyway.
Don't disagree at all. These are all needed investments that are "no regrets" moves in any scenario. Same with the new RT line and snowmaking. I'm just eager to see ore revolutionary changes in the snowmaking plant vs. evolutionary. Will be a minute I'm sure given capital required for the two lifts coming in the next 18-24 months.

dustyroads

Now that winter is over, perhaps there can be some discussion on Mountain Biking in the Valley. It's great to see the growth in popularity in the Valley. I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on with all the tree clearing at the outer end of the Upper Woods Trail? Hopefully, they're not building houses and just doing some foresting.

Hawk

I depends where this is occuring. it was my understanding that the last lot is on the skiers right of village run right above the last two houses on the road. All the property on the skier left or accross the trail is bear habitat is is not able to be developed. I think that goes back to the days of the slidebrooke deal with Less Otten.

HowieT2

Now that winter is over, perhaps there can be some discussion on Mountain Biking in the Valley. It's great to see the growth in popularity in the Valley. I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on with all the tree clearing at the outer end of the Upper Woods Trail? Hopefully, they're not building houses and just doing some foresting.
Not in the valley but I rode a new trail in rochester called Tunnel Ridge last weekend which was great. berms berms and more berms

thetrailboss

Staff member
IMG_1765.jpegIMG_1766.jpegIMG_1764.jpegIMG_1762.jpegBack to skiing. This is how I first learned of Sugarbush in 1993. Got a map from the old Black Diamond in the University Mall in South Burlington. Interesting fact: Castlerock Peak was “Nancy Hanks Peak.” As in Abraham Lincoln’s mother (since it is Lincoln Peak/Mount Abraham). I always wondered why Castlerock had that name.

djd66

View attachment 58615View attachment 58614View attachment 58613View attachment 58612Back to skiing. This is how I first learned of Sugarbush in 1993. Got a map from the old Black Diamond in the University Mall in South Burlington. Interesting fact: Castlerock Peak was “Nancy Hanks Peak.” As in Abraham Lincoln’s mother (since it is Lincoln Peak/Mount Abraham). I always wondered why Castlerock had that name.
lincoln peak is actually not named after Pres Lincoln,… it was named after a revolutionary war General.

I love on the map above how it looks like you could just cut through the woods on village run and easily end up on lower FIS :).

tumbler

Wow N Ridge was still a double (and I'm guessing one of the old originals) in the early 90s?!? 😲 I've never been able to find pictures but always wondered what was there before NRX
All the major lift changes/upgrades happened in 1995. Bravo, Gatehouse, Slidebrook, North Lynx (old Bravo chair relocated), Northridge (moved the GMX to here). Lincoln Peak also got major snowmaking addition in '95.

cdskier

Back to skiing. This is how I first learned of Sugarbush in 1993. Got a map from the old Black Diamond in the University Mall in South Burlington. Interesting fact: Castlerock Peak was “Nancy Hanks Peak.” As in Abraham Lincoln’s mother (since it is Lincoln Peak/Mount Abraham). I always wondered why Castlerock had that name.

Castlerock still is "Nancy Hanks Peak" (the summit is a bit north of the top of the CR chair though...but you can pass the sign hiking on the long trail from LP to CR). The current trail map simply doesn't list the actual peak name (note it says "Castlerock" on the new maps and not "Castlerock Peak").

And as djd already point out...Lincoln Peak has nothing to do with Abe Lincoln.

Fun looking at the old trail maps though and seeing the changes in trails, trail names, lifts, etc.

KustyTheKlown

lincoln peak is actually not named after Pres Lincoln,… it was named after a revolutionary war General.

I love on the map above how it looks like you could just cut through the woods on village run and easily end up on lower FIS :).

i think from lower fis you could probably end up on village run fairly easily tho, right? there's that cut-off on the schlep run out with the big sign that it leads to homes not the ski area. or is that to get to mount ellen side homes that are much lower?

Hawk

From Lower FIS it is about a 1/4 mile down to the utility road and then about a 1/2 mile of up to where you can get over the shoulder to village run. I have hiked it in the summer. It's a ways.

cdskier

i think from lower fis you could probably end up on village run fairly easily tho, right? there's that cut-off on the schlep run out with the big sign that it leads to homes not the ski area. or is that to get to mount ellen side homes that are much lower?

No...that cut-off that you're thinking of goes to condos/homes down by Ellen's base. This will help show the terrain between the two including elevation differences. The Lower FIS runout (on the right) is a bit lower in elevation than Village run (on the left) plus you have the Slide Brook basin between the two.

1686353646106.png