• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This Season Above, Below or Meeting Expectations

dlague

I was curious to see where everyone is at in terms of ski area visits so far above or below expections

For us this season has been falling short for some good reasons and some not so good! According to my original plan we should have had 12 days/nights in and we are actually at 9. What are some of the reasons?

Some of the reasons:

• During November our son made the playoffs which was good but they lost
  • In December there were too many holiday parties some of which I should have skipped
  • Weather on two occasions so far have altered plans (specifically #ain)
  • Black-out dates (ended up avoiding skiing during the holiday week)
  • Sometimes family just was not ready for it

I am hoping that the next few months are fruitful to at least meet expectations!

ScottySkis

It started off great early November day at K. Skiied some new place the Catamont and went back to Bell which I haven't been to in years. Did mountain snow after good snow fall. Did Platty after a couple great SLC snow events that was amazing. Been great so far but I don't waste money for skiing after bad weather events, hopefully winter comes back soon. I think last year I been to hill twice around this time last year, and I am about 10 days so far. Sugarloaf trip will be epic hopefully snow comes their soon.

Glenn

The early start was outstanding. So where the good storms. But what's holding back: Constant rain/thaw followed by deep freezes. The surface is getting skied of rather quickly every weekend.

hammer

This will likely be the lowest season for me since taking up skiing. Leg only felt good enough to head out this past weekend and after completing a kitchen remodel there will be time/$$ conflicts for a while. Will head out as much as I can. This on and off WX isn't helping things.

drjeff

I'm actually right at where I was this time last year in terms of total number of days skied (19) so I can't complain there

Season wise, mother nature has sure seemed a bit more "tempermental" this year than I recall last year. She's been very good at times with good snowmaking temps for a decent amount of time and some decent storms too. But then again the seemingly quick after a snowstorm rain/melt out has been discouraging at times to say the least.

All in all I'm pretty happy with this year so far, racking up 19 days, just over 325k vertical feet and a little over 360 miles of terrain covered.

As I was looking ahead at the big calender boards we keep in our kitchen that have the next 3 months planned out, if health and weather cooperate, I'm just about a 1/3rd of the way through my season. So based on that I hope that mother nature will be a bit more consistant the next few months and not bring such wild at times temperature swings!!

JDMRoma

Other than my Steamboat trip its been below expectations....probably 12 days so far.
Steamboat was my Highlight for sure........Hope things turn around soon here, Ive got plenty of vacation time
to burn once Winter makes a comeback !

SnowBro

As opposed to last season, this season is meeting expectations. I'm currently at 12 days out so far. 2 in November, 9 in December, and New Years Day at Wachusett. I've been to Shawnee Peak and Sunday River a few times already and plan on taking at least 3 more trips up North (one a month for Jan, Feb, and March). My goal is 30 days which I believe I can accomplish. I would have liked to have had more days by now but like I said I have more than I did at this time last year so I can't complain. It's weird because January is looking a bit warmer than December so far, at least overall in my neck of the woods, but I'm hoping for a cold snowy February. It's funny, all this talk of the polar vortex and extreme cold got a friend of mine asking, what makes a "real winter?"

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Meeting expectations.

I'm not at the number of days I'd like, but then again I never am, so that's par for the course.

I have been really lucky with my timing, and the quality of days has been outstanding. 2.5 powder days out of 5 (half day was at Ragged last Sat, which technically didn't have fresh snow, but I skied untracked in the Ravine).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Posting from the bar at Attitash on I think my 11th day out. On pace to ski more days than I have in several years.

1st year as a Granite Pass holder. Crotched has significantly exceeded my expectations. Even with the niar events they've delivered a great product. Attitash and Wildcat not so much. I love the terrain at both hills but the conditions at the feeder hill Crotched have been vastly superior so far.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm slightly behind expectations, but that was in large part because a job change and because of the dearth of snow out here. My skiing calendar is filling up though for the next 6-8 weeks.

Edd

Posting from Loon on day 8. Below expectations. I'm often at double this amount of days by this point but life and weather have intervened.

bdfreetuna

My reality isn't even on the same map as my expectations.

2 flus this winter plus bronchitis and another weird cold. 8 days in Mexico at the end of December. 6 days in Puerto Rico late November. Had to go to PA for work over another weekend. Overdrafted bank account.

1 day skiing so far. Completely missed the good stuff a couple weeks ago and now it's iced over.

Worst start to a season I've had in a long time. I'm still hoping for a strong middle/end to the season but I need the weather to help me out on that one.

midd

Posting from the bar at Attitash on I think my 11th day out. On pace to ski more days than I have in several years.

1st year as a Granite Pass holder. Crotched has significantly exceeded my expectations. Even with the niar events they've delivered a great product. Attitash and Wildcat not so much. I love the terrain at both hills but the conditions at the feeder hill Crotched have been vastly superior so far.

Rain give Attitash a beating? Was there Saturday and thought it was great.

KD7000

This season started out sooooo nice but the weather (ever since the Dec. thaw) has been uncooperative. So average/ meeting expectations now.

yeggous

As a whole the season has met expectations. My number of days at 32 is about where I though I would be, but a bit below my best-case. Conditions have also met expectations as I have had several powder days and multiple washouts.

My experience has varied from mountain to mountain:

Attitash - met expectations. Always slow to start but expands steadily expands snow making across the whole mountain.

Bretton Woods - exceeded expectations very early, but now have just met expectations. They are actually starting to fall behind where I thought they would be with their snow making, and crowds have been much worse this year now that they are giving away all the kids season passes. They continue to offer the most consistent and dependable snow surface in NH.

Cranmore - greatly exceeding expectations. They are rapidly becoming the shining star of the White Mountains. Their snow making has been impressive and is competing with the typical big boys! They've gone toe-to-toe with Bretton Woods and have now pulled ahead and tied Loon with their trail count. They are still blowing while BW sits quiet.

Crotched - met expections which were much higher this year than in the past. They are doing a remarkable job. They have become the place to go in southern NH. I'm shocked that more people haven't latched onto this place.

Jay Peak - met expectations. after coming off two terrible early season years this December was back up there.

Wildcat - far behind expectations, which are already low in the early season. With the abysmal failures in their snow making, things just keep going down hill. Their one top-to-bottom route was often barely skiable. The shining exception has been Lynx which opened early and lately has been in great shape.

Puck it

My reality isn't even on the same map as my expectations.

2 flus this winter plus bronchitis and another weird cold. 8 days in Mexico at the end of December. 6 days in Puerto Rico late November. Had to go to PA for work over another weekend. Overdrafted bank account.

1 day skiing so far. Completely missed the good stuff a couple weeks ago and now it's iced over.

Worst start to a season I've had in a long time. I'm still hoping for a strong middle/end to the season but I need the weather to help me out on that one.

But you hit 75MPH!!!!!!

4aprice

Way too early to tell. The cold has been good for the snowmaking and the home bump is 100% open (with bumps :thumbup:). The skiing I've done so far has been pretty good, but I did try (pretty successfully) to avoid most of the holidays. Its PA/racing season from now till March 1, then on to New England and eventually Colorado. Do most of my skiing on the backend of the season anyways.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Savemeasammy

I didn't go into the season with any particular expectations: just that I wanted to ski as often as my schedule, budget, and reasonable conditions allowed. I've missed one day - Sunday - that I would have liked to have skied because I am on the IR. I'll be on the IR for a few weeks, so that will definitely put me at "below expectations"! I hope to make up for lost ground thereafter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk