• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This Weekend - Best Bang For Your Time

drjeff

Mount Snow came out of left field with some decent acreage/mileage for day 1.

And the fan guns are humming away right now too :fangun: Currently about 12 degrees on my back deck up here and when I went in to pick up my kids gear from the shop I get all my stuff up here at, the owner, a good friend of mine, literally told me to put my powder skis in my car for tomorrow in addition to my midfats because it was that soft and good on the hill today! They've made a BIG amount of snow this last week! :)

Kleetus

With window rates..Prob Okemo or Stowe...with deals..probably Kmart...the 2 fers are easy to get for early season...I'm getting my first turns in there tomorrow on one

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Never was never more than the 3rd group in a queue lane for the Bluebird today. The biggest line was over at Carinthia for the Heavy Metal double that was serving the park in The Gulch. Based on customer feedback over concern for safety of lower lever skiers and riders taking Long John from the summit with limited terrain open, Mount Snow chose for now at least to not spin the Nitro quad to service the park on Gulch (even though Nitro is open as a trail, not a park yet, and you can access the park on Gulch can be accessed from the Nitro quad) It's a good move IMHO to make it a better overall experience for all guests. My guess is that if the crowds warrant, they'll have Nitro and Canyon quads spinning next weekend (the ramp area snow has already been pushed into place). Great snow though! Mid winter packed powder and ungroomed, soft snowmaking whales to start the day, that did in a few places that were very exposed to the brisk wind today get a little scratchy in the afternoon. A very high quality product on the hill today at Mount Snow!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I should hope so they've had long enough.

This is a relatively new concept no? Blowing snow weeks before opening? I mean, I'm sure the Stratton skiers will be psyched with a whole bunch of terrain to ski on the first day of lift served operations there, but wouldn't those skiers be even more psyched if they opened this weekend?

Burke Mountain is another place that made snow this week. However, they don't plan on opening until December and not full time until almost Christmas. Seems like a waste to me to make snow unless it's within a week of opening. I would not like that strategy as a season pass holder anywhere. If you've got the coverage, open on the weekends at the very least.

steamboat1

This is a relatively new concept no? Blowing snow weeks before opening? I mean, I'm sure the Stratton skiers will be psyched with a whole bunch of terrain to ski on the first day of lift served operations there, but wouldn't those skiers be even more psyched if they opened this weekend?

Burke Mountain is another place that made snow this week. However, they don't plan on opening until December and not full time until almost Christmas. Seems like a waste to me to make snow unless it's within a week of opening. I would not like that strategy as a season pass holder anywhere. If you've got the coverage, open on the weekends at the very least.
Stowe started making snow Nov.1. They received over 20" of natural this week. Opened to public Nov. 22 with 20 trails (closed trails poachable). Yes they opened one day last weekend for passholders.

SnowRock

Great Friday/Saturday at Snow then Stowe. Despite a long drive today I think it was worth the trek. Both mountains were in really good shape for November.

Hayride, Centerline, and Liftline ungroomed and fun early, though a bit scraped late. Imagine today softened up in spots with warmer temps.

C-Rex

Parents retired to FL and the GF let me out of going to Turkeyday at her parent's. This is the first year I get to ride on Thanksgiving! Pretty sure I'm going to head to Mount Snow early, hopefully for some powder turns.

How are the crowds on Thanksgiving usually? I realize it may be a bit worse due to the fresh natural.

drjeff

Parents retired to FL and the GF let me out of going to Turkeyday at her parent's. This is the first year I get to ride on Thanksgiving! Pretty sure I'm going to head to Mount Snow early, hopefully for some powder turns.

How are the crowds on Thanksgiving usually? I realize it may be a bit worse due to the fresh natural.

FYI, based on the temps Sunday/yesterday/today, unless they made snow on it, whatever is on the ground is whatever base you'll be dealing with, so while some stuff may look enticing if they get the foot or so they're predicting for Mount Snow there will be plenty of water bars. rocks and in some places tree debris lurking just under the surface

Thanksgiving is usually dead - most of the volume arrives on Thanksgiving night after eating turkey elsewhere

C-Rex

FYI, based on the temps Sunday/yesterday/today, unless they made snow on it, whatever is on the ground is whatever base you'll be dealing with, so while some stuff may look enticing if they get the foot or so they're predicting for Mount Snow there will be plenty of water bars. rocks and in some places tree debris lurking just under the surface

Thanksgiving is usually dead - most of the volume arrives on Thanksgiving night after eating turkey elsewhere

Thanks for the warning but I learned that lesson a few years ago. I dipped into the woods at Killington when they got a foot in December but had no base. I slid out on my toe edge and smashed my shin into a stump under the snow. I thought I shattered my leg. This was take 2 days later.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20101212_190646.jpg
    IMG_20101212_190646.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 209

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's insane. I'd rather pay the $110+ ticket for Stowe on a good day than pay $77 for a dozen trails of ice.

Except for Friday and Saturday 90% of people there are either pass holders or paying $38 a ticket. I'll likely be there Sunday

Savemeasammy

^ I don't think I could stomach paying $77 for what Killington is offering. I'm happy the 2fers are still good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smellytele

Went to K on Wednesday (2fers and and a prebought kid ticket for 32). Northridge was great under the guns. Upper part of Snowdon was good (Poma was running and lapped that). Below the Poma was shitty. Superstar side's 1 trail was okay.

123kathleen

Canon is free today. Only zoomed lift is open , eagle lift was suppose to be going today but won't start so they are giving the tickets away. Not much terrain but it's free so I'd call that best bang for buck. Just posted to canons website.