• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thunderbolt Ski Trail, Mt. Greylock, MA - 8/13/2013

snowmonster

This is not really a skiing TR but I found myself driving around Lenox and Adams in western Massachusetts yesterday so I decided to drive up the auto road on Mt. Greylock to finally see the war memorial and take a final look at the Thunderbolt -- even if it is in the summer! Having skied this trail before, it really looks different with all the trees and foliage. It looks a lot steeper without the snow and I didn't realize that there was a set of stairs from the top of the trail where it meets the auto road.

Since I was pressed for time and was wearing boat shoes, I just walked from the Thunderbolt Shelter, down the trail to the auto road, across the road and down a little bit past that. I never got to the Big Bend or any of the named parts of the trail. May some of you get the chance to ski the 'Bolt this winter!

The Thunderbolt Shelter:
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1376340592.584651.jpg

The 'Bolt from the shelter to the road:
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1376340644.990658.jpg

The 'Bolt from the road heading towards the Big Bend (with stairs):
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1376340721.637785.jpg

The War Memorial atop Greylock:
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1376340779.906387.jpg

Adams from the summit:
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1376340810.988779.jpg

Editorial comment: I've skied the tops of Massachsetts (Greylock), Vermont (Mansfield) and New Hampshire (Washington). Doesn't any body else find it strange that you can actually drive a car to these summits?

Last edited:

amf

Editorial comment: I've skied the tops of Massachsetts (Greylock), Vermont (Mansfield) and New Hampshire (Washington). Doesn't any body else find it strange that you can actually drive a car to these summits?

Nah... given a chance I think we'd have roads up all the state high points. Add WV, NC, GA, SC, NJ, HI and I'm sure more to the list. Nice pic of the memorial, btw. And that's the first I've seen the trail down from the shelter without snow - no wonder it was hard to ski!

snowmonster

Nah... given a chance I think we'd have roads up all the state high points. Add WV, NC, GA, SC, NJ, HI and I'm sure more to the list.

I always found that odd. Like the feeling of hiking all the way up to the top of Mt. Washington enjoying the wilderness experience then you crest a ridge -- and your face hits the grille of a jeep in the summit parking lot. Makes it easier to access the Great Gulf though!

Nice pic of the memorial, btw.

Thanks, man. When I skied the Thunderbolt, there was fog on the mountain. I never saw that memorial or the Bascom Lodge.

And that's the first I've seen the trail down from the shelter without snow - no wonder it was hard to ski!

The stairs threw me for a loop. Man, now I know why it's easier to jump off on skiers' left of the trail.

Alright. You sold me.

Do it! You'll enjoy it.

Huck_It_Baby

I find it extremely disappointing when skiing or summiting especially. Hiking to the top only to see crowds of tourists detracts from the experience for me. I try to be OK with it though because it allows for less fortunate people, who might be physically handicapped for example, to experience the peaks.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I find it extremely disappointing when skiing or summiting especially. Hiking to the top only to see crowds of tourists detracts from the experience for me. I try to be OK with it though because it allows for less fortunate people, who might be physically handicapped for example, to experience the peaks.

Could be worse.

416316_10150770991093899_2046269771_o.jpg

C-Rex

I really want to ride Greylock this year. My girlfriend's parents live about 15 min down the road so it shouldn't be hard to get there for some fresh tracks after a good storm. Hopefully this year they will get enough snow. Last season they never really got a good base and if I recall correctly, they ended up cancelling the race due to lack of snow.

Great pictures! We plan to hike up in the fall for some good foliage views.