• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Timberline Lodge Summer Skiing

Newpylong

Every summer in my teens while training. Cold and boilerplate in AM and mashed potatos and T-shirt in PM.

If you go early enough in the summer there is usually enough snow to ski all the way back down to the parking lot on a WROD. It gradually recedes as time goes on and you hoof it.

Quite the experience.

Last edited:

xwhaler

Haven't skied it but have been to Mt Hood twice. Once in the winter and we skied Mt Hood Meadows, another time in October.
Had lunch at the famous Timberline lodge (where The Shining was filmed) both trips. Nice spot.

drjeff

If you're not wearing a race suit and gate armor you'll be in the vast minority riding the Magic Mile and Palmer chairs out at Hood ;-)

Really cool experience skiing it. And one of the most intense ski vibes you'll find anywhere both on the mountain and then in down at Government Camp (the town by the base of the access road to Timberline Lodge where most of the racers and park kids out there stay) Even in August, which is much less of a camp population than late June through July, it's still a tangible feeling!

ski&soccermom

It was quite warm out there this week. My daughter has also skied it during the summer for a race camp but I felt like most of the trail was taken by various ski camps so we just did the scenic chair lift ride and did some hiking and skipped the skiing... If you have time, the hike to Tamawanas Falls wasn't bad with my 9 y.o. and was really pretty scenery!

The Sneak

Skies it the last Saturday of June 2012. Plenty of coverage down to the lodge, it had been ~80 in Portland the day before but was 35 and snowing when I arrived at Timberline.

The lifts open early, 7:30? They stop around 2 pm. As the others said, it gets sloppy down low, mashed potatoes at minimum, stop you in your tracks at times later in the day.

The upper chair skied amazingly. Not much training was going on while I was there. It was in the 20s at the summit. More LSGR than boilerplate.

In skiing Timberline, I fulfilled a wish I'd had since I was about 14 and first heard of the place. It was totally cool. Timberline lodge itself is amazing, had a great lunch there afterwards.

That trip for me was also amazing due to the Evergreen Flight Museum and the private Porsche enthusiast event there we stumbled upon (I am way into old school Porsches) - 'twas an unforgettable vacation really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4aprice

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I thought they actually do close at some point,(after the camps are over) don't they? My son went to camp there 3 years in a row and loved it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

chuckstah

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I thought they actually do close at some point,(after the camps are over) don't they? My son went to camp there 3 years in a row and loved it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yes, they close on Labor Day and reopen Fri-Sun only in October snow permitting, which hasn't happened much in recent years. It is definitely worth the trip if in the area.

chuckstah

This is from Labor Day weekend in 2014. Plenty of snow on Palmer with several public routes open to the mid station, and two ribbons open to the bottom of the Palmer chair. The ribbon back to the lodge faded out about 200 yards shy of the bottom and required walking, or downloading. Fun place to ski, and plenty of vertical for September.

Attachments

• 1471284392213.jpg
    1471284392213.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 77