• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Top 5 East Coast Spring Skiing Destinations

Farleyman

Personal opinion:
1) sugarloaf
2) jay peak
3) Cannon
4) Killington
5) sugarbush

Hit cannon last year near the end of April, it was 70 degrees and sunny... Soft moguls, slush and slop everywhere, It was fantastic, the trees were still skiing awesome too. Best spring skiing I've ever done!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Bumpsis

Spring conditions are just so much subject the the weather and the time. BeefyBoy50 first said that his plans encompass next two weekends and he extended his quest into April.
For the next two weekends, I think we'll have pretty much winter conditions on the slopes, unless we're talking areas south of MA.
A couple of weeks into April, if I were in PA, I'd probably head up to VT. I've had some stellar spring skiing at Sugarbush and Mad River.

To me, the king of spring always was Sugarloaf, but that's a looong haul from where BeefyBoy50 is.

I'm at this very time thinking about hitting Sugarloaf for extended Easter weekend.

Bumpsis

Spring conditions are just so much subject the the weather and the time. BeefyBoy50 first said that his plans encompass next two weekends and he extended his quest into April.
For the next two weekends, I think we'll have pretty much winter conditions on the slopes, unless we're talking areas south of MA.
A couple of weeks into April, if I were in PA, I'd probably head up to VT. I've had some stellar spring skiing at Sugarbush and Mad River.

To me, the king of spring always was Sugarloaf, but that's a looong haul from where BeefyBoy50 is.

I'm at this very time thinking about hitting Sugarloaf for extended Easter weekend.

Wildcat
Sugarloaf
Cranmore when it is only 30F up at Wildcat, it will be 40F in North Conway and is great in the sun
KMart
Sunday River

Cannonball

Personal opinion:
1) sugarloaf
2) jay peak
3) Cannon
4) Killington
5) sugarbush

Hit cannon last year near the end of April, it was 70 degrees and sunny... Soft moguls, slush and slop everywhere, It was fantastic, the trees were still skiing awesome too. Best spring skiing I've ever done!

Cannon can get a nice spring day like anyone. But they are by no means a spring skiing destination...they close too early. Last year they closed 4/20 with a ton of snow left and that was with an "extended" season of 1 extra week. Because of their State ownership they are majorly limited in their ability to adapt to conditions, so you'll never get the April/May super-spring days. And because they are Cannon they tend to get the cold, windy, cloudy weather they are know for, so early April can downright wintery. So many of their spring events end up cold, blustery, and nasty.

benski

Personal opinion:
1) sugarloaf
2) jay peak
3) Cannon
4) Killington
5) sugarbush

Sugarbush will close mt Ellen and the valley house area on the 6th this year. Mt Ellen closing is normal but the valley house is normally there main spring skiing venue but they are replacing the lift this year.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
There are rarely 5 areas that operate into May!
Top of the list
- Killington
- Mt. Washington (Tuckerman, Snowfields, etc.)

The only other places that sometimes make it lift serviced into May:
- Wildcat
- Sugarloaf
and sometimes
- Sugarbush
- Jay Peak
other who used to compete
- Sunday River has offered free May 1, but can't remember them going beyond that in recent years
- Bretton Woods (under previous ownership)

Farleyman

Cannon can get a nice spring day like anyone. But they are by no means a spring skiing destination...they close too early. Last year they closed 4/20 with a ton of snow left and that was with an "extended" season of 1 extra week. Because of their State ownership they are majorly limited in their ability to adapt to conditions, so you'll never get the April/May super-spring days. And because they are Cannon they tend to get the cold, windy, cloudy weather they are know for, so early April can downright wintery. So many of their spring events end up cold, blustery, and nasty.

I like cold blistery and nasty. Keeps the crowds away. Like I said before my list "personal opinion"

Farleyman

Sugarbush will close mt Ellen and the valley house area on the 6th this year. Mt Ellen closing is normal but the valley house is normally there main spring skiing venue but they are replacing the lift this year.

Dam, thanks for the heads up!!

C-Rex

The loaf is just insane in April. My April ski days there have ranged from 25 and dumping to 65 F and brilliant sunshine. Everything from 100% open to absolutely zero snow in King Pine area. It rules.

Totally agree. I've had some of my best spring days in late April at the Loaf. I went up on the 21st a couple years ago, rode spring conditions on Friday then it snowed 14" overnight and we rode powder the rest of the weekend with NO ONE there. Not a typical experience, granted, but it definitely gave me a lasting memory.

Cannonball

Can you confirm this CB? I would love to get up on that mountain for a warm spring day and pay homage to the "Big Boy" across the street.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

http://www.skiwildcat.com/snow-report.html

"In an effort to extend our season in to May, and working with our snowmaking manufacturer partners on the most progressive, high-efficiency, low-energy technology, we’re excited to tell you that we are preparing to make snow this week for an extended period beginning Tuesday afternoon on the Lynx trail and our base area as weather and temperatures permit."

C-Rex

http://www.skiwildcat.com/snow-report.html

"In an effort to extend our season in to May, and working with our snowmaking manufacturer partners on the most progressive, high-efficiency, low-energy technology, we’re excited to tell you that we are preparing to make snow this week for an extended period beginning Tuesday afternoon on the Lynx trail and our base area as weather and temperatures permit."

Damn! Good for them!

VTKilarney

I get the feeling that they are testing equipment. But so what! That's awesome!