• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trip spending limit

kingslug

Is there a limit to what you will spend per day on a ski trip??? The reason I ask this is...I really need to ski..something...so I looked into my usual stomping ground, Alta/ Snowbird..where by the way its really..really dumping..airfare for this week is almost 1K...holy shyt..I can get itdown to 700 if I come back next Monday but I cant..coming back Saturday morning drives it up to this point...do I have the money..yes..but this is nuts..WTF...I usually hit Hunter in December and then start planning trips for the rest of the winter..but so far..its been a bust..got 1 day in so far...opinions???

ScottySkis

Is there a limit to what you will spend per day on a ski trip??? The reason I ask this is...I really need to ski..something...so I looked into my usual stomping ground, Alta/ Snowbird..where by the way its really..really dumping..airfare for this week is almost 1K...holy shyt..I can get itdown to 700 if I come back next Monday but I cant..coming back Saturday morning drives it up to this point...do I have the money..yes..but this is nuts..WTF...I usually hit Hunter in December and then start planning trips for the rest of the winter..but so far..its been a bust..got 1 day in so far...opinions???

Go for it I haven't skiied yet if you really want to go cheap in SLC you can stay in a hostel their your own room for like $30 a night if prices have not gone up I stayed their 4 years ago, I personally think skiing out there even once in a season is worth not spending $ on east coast.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Euler

I refuse to pay above $50/day for a lift ticket...
I'm paying $900 for three nights lodging and 2 days skiing at Mt. Sutton for our family of four.

$1000 for just airfare for one person to ski a couple of days is not in my realm of imagination.

Have fun if you decide to go!

skisheep

matrix.itasoftware.com is your friend. Plugging in NYC for airport(Which I assume is the case given you are from LI), you can leave tomorrow morning and take the friday night redeye from SLC, one stop on the way there and nonstop home for $607. The problem is though that the flight leaves from EWR and comes into JFK but if you're desparate for snow it might be an option.

Here are the flight details.
Newark (EWR) to Salt Lake City (SLC) -
Mon, Dec 17
US.png
Newark (EWR) to Phoenix (PHX) - Mon, Dec 17
US Airways 75Dep: 10:00AMArr: 1:25PM5h 25mAirbus A320Economy (L)

Layover in PHX 1h 15m
US.png
Phoenix (PHX) to Salt Lake City (SLC) - Mon, Dec
US Airways 450Dep: 2:40PMArr: 4:17PM1h 37mAirbus A319Economy (L)

Salt Lake City (SLC) to New York (JFK) -
Fri, Dec 21

DL.png
Delta 1002Dep: 11:50PMArr: 6:13AM4h 23mBoeing 757Economy (Q)

Sat, Dec 22

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $607.40
Total cost for 1 passenger $607.40

You can't book on matrix website so plug this into the airlines websites-probably best to do as 2 one way tickets or as roundtrip through expedia. For a cheap SLC hotel try priceline.

-skisheep

RISkier

When I've been looking it seems airfares are generally up quite a bit. Occasionally you find deals but you're getting into the Christmas travel week and you're looking late. Airfares definitely factor into travel decisions.

Edd

I'm at a cabin in Bartlett, NH right now. Looking at the deck outside it looks like we got an easy 5 inches. The mountains should do well today.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Only you can answer a question regarding what you can afford or what is worth the money. Personally, I think it would be asinine to drop $1000 on airfare when you can wait for mid-week non-holiday and fly round trip from NYC to SLC for only $300 after the peak travel period. But if you got the jones and you got the money...

I actually have both but I've yet to do it because I just don't see the value. However, I have been looking at airfare lately thinking about doing something next year (with an "it's only money and you only live once and who cares about value" mind set). I have a hard time wrapping my mind around spending more for one week of skiing than I already spend all winter, including fuel.

ScottySkis

Only you can answer a question regarding what you can afford or what is worth the money. Personally, I think it would be asinine to drop $1000 on airfare when you can wait for mid-week non-holiday and fly round trip from NYC to SLC for only $300 after the peak travel period. But if you got the jones and you got the money...

I actually have both but I've yet to do it because I just don't see the value. However, I have been looking at airfare lately thinking about doing something next year (with an "it's only money and you only live once and who cares about value" mind set). I have a hard time wrapping my mind around spending more for one week of skiing than I already spend all winter, including fuel.
In Slc is very very cheap hotels. You can stay in the valley in Suite 6 with your own kitchen for 400$ for 10 days. Bus picks you up across the street. Superpass including bus and lift tickets for 4 big mountains out their. You can take bus to and from airport all part of their great mass system, yes you spend more then weekend in New England, but its totally worth it once you enjoy the snow and big mountains out west your whole east coast experience will chances.

KD7000

Wow, the scope of this goes way beyond my typical day trip cost analysis! The past few winters, I've actually been quite annoyed that the tank of gas was more expensive than the lift ticket.

Cheese

I'll take this in a different direction and suggest your body and legs probably aren't ready for the trip. You live at low elevation and have only 1 day on snow this year. Save your cash and get in some strengthening days locally before you put your body through steep and deep at high altitude.

bdfreetuna

The more snow / better the skiing / more towards the spring it is, the more I am willing to pay possibly full price for a lift ticket and spend more on gas as well.

Early season, or partially open terrain, or mediocre conditions I will tend to ski wherever there is a cheap ticket and hopefully costs less than $40 for gas.

But I can see myself sucking it up for $88 Sugarbush tickets at least a couple times this year once the skiing gets legendary up there.

I agree with Cheese it's a waste to go big on your first day out. I'm 30 and fairly fit and it takes me a few days out to reach anything close to "full strength". Idk about you but that's just my example. In your shoes I'd try to get some early skiing in around New England which will make you stronger, work on your carving, and appreciate the Big Snow all that much more when you're ready for it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wow, the scope of this goes way beyond my typical day trip cost analysis! The past few winters, I've actually been quite annoyed that the tank of gas was more expensive than the lift ticket.

Same. I've blown off a few day trips the past couple years when the price of the tank of gas costing more than the lift ticket made lackluster conditions not worth it.

kingslug

I'll take this in a different direction and suggest your body and legs probably aren't ready for the trip. You live at low elevation and have only 1 day on snow this year. Save your cash and get in some strengthening days locally before you put your body through steep and deep at high altitude.

I got that covered, work out and Bikram yoga every week..squats and deadlifts are your friend when it comes to skiing. I've been going to Utah for 12 years so I have it down pretty well..the prob is airfare has gone up a lot. Utah gets more skier visits every year,so airlines are taking advantage of that. Yes this week is rough, but overall airfares have climbed quite a bit. I used to get there for around 300.00 but now pay at least 600.00. I also try to time the storms so I can't book in advance..nothing like hitting it after a 3 to 5 foot dump..thats the trick...December used to be a good practice month here...not lately though...

farlep99

Airfares are definitely way up right now. I'm not taking my usual European trip this year because of this. Way too much $$, can't justify it when I can use airmiles & go west for half the $. If I can't get a decent airfare, i'll scrap a trip for sure.

Cheese

I got that covered, work out and Bikram yoga every week..squats and deadlifts are your friend when it comes to skiing.

I do squats and deadlifts weekly year round too. Even swallowed my pride and did lunges one preseason since they're toted as a skiers exercise. All I learned is that the best exercise for skiing, is skiing. Even after skiing a half dozen days the first powder day or first mogul day still kicks my a$$. I also like to launch a few park hits with groomed landings around here to get my balance back before hucking the bigger drops into variable landing conditions out west.

So, if you're comparing yourself to someone that doesn't do leg exercises preseason, I agree that you'll be stronger. If you're comparing yourself to yourself, which is what bdfreetuna and I were suggesting, I believe you'll be stronger in February.

Good luck!

abc

Air fare during Christmas week has always been quite high. And the closer it gets to the time, the higher it goes.

So, either you book the air leg well in advance, or you pay through the nose. Keep in mind, you're not really competing with skiers for seats on the plane. You're dueling it out with vacationer and families at large. You're just another vacationer who happen to want to ski.

As for spending limit? I have one which I often break when conditions are right! ;)

BTW, I usually goes by $$$ per day of skiing, rather than "per trip". (the "per trip" cost only goes against the "season" cap)

4aprice

Watching the weather reports both here and out west it sure would be tempting but I think patience still may be the word. They are still talking about at least cold arriving here in the northeast and things could get better quite quickly and I think there is still the possibility of a decent holiday period. Getting back to the original question of a trip spending limit I sure do and it involves many factors. Obviously the better the conditions the more I would be willing to spend but thats not the only thing that I factor in. Last season even though I had a hold on the condo we did not go to Utah because it was not up to its usual awesomeness and we just didn't feel it was worth the expense. I feel very fortunate to have a home hill that tends to (often times against the odds) do things well. Its almost incredible to think that I skied both days this past weekend from the summit (even if it was only 2 routes down) in balmy PA. As much as I love the mountains of NNE and NNY I'm now at the point where I won't go up there during any holiday period. Cost is a factor but also the crowds. I'll gladly fight them here at home (the key word) and save my trip planning for those wonderful off peak times.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
In Slc is very very cheap hotels. You can stay in the valley in Suite 6 with your own kitchen for 400$ for 10 days. Bus picks you up across the street. Superpass including bus and lift tickets for 4 big mountains out their. You can take bus to and from airport all part of their great mass system, yes you spend more then weekend in New England, but its totally worth it once you enjoy the snow and big mountains out west your whole east coast experience will chances.

Spend more than a weekend in New England? More like more than a season.

I saw the Motel 6 Suite thingy while looking around. So 10 days of lodging for $400, 9 days of skiing is $621, and the cheapest airfare possible (JetBlue out of NYC, not possible for many of us) is $300 r/t (short of a major deal) before fees, assuming you plan a Mon-Weds trip when the fares are the lowest, and book during an appropriate window. Add in meals. You're still talking about $1500 absolute minimum for 10 days worth of skiing. I ski 40+ days in New England for a a third less than that, including my gas (all in). It is an expensive trip no matter how you slice it even with $40/day suite and free shuttle.