• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuesday March 10th - Sunday March 15th

Jcb890

I'm basically starting this thread to get the discussion going. Where are the best maps/models/forecasts?

A few days ago I was seeing ice/rain/snow for Saturday 3/10, but now I'm seeing snow predicted. 5-8" overnight possibly? Weather Underground is saying snow most of the day Saturday and then some on Sunday too. Snow-Forecast only shows up to Saturday night so far, with a prediction of 2.4".

I'll be up at Killington, so selfishly, that's the forecasts I have been checking.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Saturday and Sunday look the most interesting, followed by a steep warm up. Analysis is way more interesting than maps right now. Take a look at this:

Remember, when he mentions "project weather' he's talking about the electric company outdoor projects, who he writes these reports for.

j law

This new father hasn't hit the slopes at all this year and I guess my dreams of a single epic powder day are fleeting.

Sounds like I need to adjust my dreaming towards a spring bump day?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

hammer

FWIW the past few days have been a torch in the flatlands. Don't mind it at all, nice to see the dirty snow piles go...but I hope it isn't killing the cover up north.

Hard to tell what the forecast will be for the weekend. Looks like the NCP will make it to southern NH and VT but not sure.

bdfreetuna

Looks like drizzle Saturday anywhere south of Killington. This is turning out to be a bit of a torcher in the flat lands. Snow that's been packed down in the mountains should hold up ok as long as we really are looking towards a cold shift for the 2nd half of March.

catsup948

It's going to snow Saturday for elevated areas in northern new england. GFS has been very consistent on amounts, Canadian is shifting around and the Euro has been north, which isn't good. I like my chances with the high base elevation at Bolton Valley Saturday night. Ride the GFS for the ski resorts!

Grizzly Adams

heading to Stowe for the day on Saturday, been poking around the interwebs for some intel on the forecast but its pretty inconsistent between various sites, I've seen some reports saying snow in the morning, some say rain throughout the day, some show clear skies until night time.. it seems to me most weather sites provide information for the surrounding area or nearby town rather than the specific mountain.. does anyone have a reliable website for ski forecasts they could recommend?? I'm making the trek up regardless of the weather, just trying to plan accordingly

4aprice

Jcb890

On Weather Underground for Killington I'm now seeing freezing rain possible in the AM, but other than that, mostly snow on Saturday and Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

xwhaler

I could have 3 wet powder days this wknd! Middlebury Sat as the snow starts....BV Elevation is my friend Sat night into Sunday and possible small refresh terrain enhanced for MRG Monday AM

Jcb890

I could have 3 wet powder days this wknd! Middlebury Sat as the snow starts....BV Elevation is my friend Sat night into Sunday and possible small refresh terrain enhanced for MRG Monday AM

Let's hope for some good conditions this weekend! Have fun!

Jcb890

I just checked weather.gov... they are not nearly as bullish on snow...

Saturday
A chance of rain and snow showers before noon, then rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 39. Southeast wind 3 to 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday Night
Rain likely before 9pm, then rain and snow likely between 9pm and 11pm, then snow likely after 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 28. Southeast wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

BenedictGomez

He said "He wants to know if it is going to rain or snow in the Daks?"

Yeah, in terms of Scotty posts, that one was crystal clear.

EDIT:

Scotty, the 12z GFS operational caved to the Canuck and is warmer. Would be mix at Gore Saturday morning, then rain during the day. Whiteface would be clear in the morning, but could be rain, snow or mix by noon. In Vermont, pretty much the only places this might stay all snow as depicted would be Jay Peak, Smuggs, Stowe, and maybe Bolton Valley, but they're all dancing on a fault-line (below).

Two things to consider:
1) This is the op run
2) Since the Canadian seems to maybe handling this better, it might be wise to see what that 12z suggests when it comes out

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_9.png

Last edited:

Puck it

He is a newbie. He does not speak Scotty. And doesn't like ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''