• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Uphill Resort Skinning… a warning

Hawk

Why are "back country" skiers skinning up on resort slopes?

I thought the whole idea of "back country" is nature and solitude...
The phrase "Back Country" is no longer solely attached to the word skinner. As said above, more and more skinners are new to the sport and only have inerest in skinning for exercise instead of going to the gym and getting on the stair master. A very large portion of these new skinners have no ability or interenst in sking in the woods. So the trails are the most suitable option. Also I might add that this year the problem is exaserbated by a lack of snow in the woods. Add doing this at night time with head lights and the trail is basically your only option.

raisingarizona

Skinning up resort slopes is incredibly common. Some folks are driven by the exercise and cost-savings parts as much as any back country motivation.
And it’s extremely safe compared to actual back country skiing in avalanche terrain.

ThatGuy

As said above, more and more skinners are new to the sport and only have inerest in skinning for exercise instead of going to the gym and getting on the stair master.
I can’t imagine having so much money where instead of going to the gym I drop ~$1500 on a skinning setup when I’ve never even skied before.

kbroderick

I can’t imagine having so much money where instead of going to the gym I drop ~$1500 on a skinning setup when I’ve never even skied before.
There are a lot of people with AT stuff who know how to ski but are far from experts. I've seen a lot of people in steep but open areas who clearly could've benefited from more coaching.

abc

yeah its mostly for fitness. Kind of like hitting wrod early season to get the legs ready for january powder.

It's also good practice for getting your shit sorted out, transitions dialed, etc.
My comment was triggered by the "beef" between Black and Backcountry Alliance.

If the new skinners are really just gym rats on snow, why did GBA get involved? I assume the Alliance represent real "back country" skiers who spent their time away from resorts...:dontknow:

Riverveteran

Would like to see skinning banned or very limited on downhill resort trails. Folks going against traffice are a huge liability and in many cases its Theft of Service.

Hawk

People spend $2500 on a Peleton and also have to pay $35/mo for the subscription. Also if you have Covid fear, the $1,500 outdoor alternative is looking pretty good instead of your populated gym. Especially if you skipped town and are now working remotely from your house of condo at the mountain. In my assoication alone there are probably Half doing this.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't know the full details here and I'm only speculating, but there's a fair amount of crossover between BCA and Black's uphill program. So maybe the BCA folks think Black is being too strict.

The most locally famous BC skier in perhaps all of New England is Andrew Drummond. He basically started Blacks uphill culture as it exists today as I understand it. He has his own company in Jackson called Ski the Whites, which I seem to recall originally had it's office at Black Mountain.

He also happens to be on the Board of Director's for Back Country Alliance.

Personally I think uphill routes at ski areas should be designated uphill routes only and not be part of downhill skiing trails. Saddleback does this. I definitely have come close to nailing skinners in the past at Wildcat skiing the edge of Polecat as the center is boilerplate. Come around a corner and boom there are skinners or people snowshoeing in your line. I'm surprised collisions aren't more common.

ThatGuy

If you want to use a resorts amenities (groomed trails, snowmaking, maintained uphill routes) you should pay for that access, running a ski area is already low enough margin. Its just insulting that people will spend big money on a touring setup but its too much for them to pay for access to the mountain. There’s plenty of actual backcountry routes available when the snow is good. If there isn’t snow and you’re relegated to skinning resorts then you should be respecting the work of the resort by paying for access.

Hawk

You don't need to blow snow or groom. All you need is about 4 to 6 inches of snow and the people skiinning do the rest. The track gets set by the first few skinners. Sugatbush did a nice job at Mt. Ellen. There are only a couple of places on lower FIS and South Bound that you come in contact with an actual trail. Really wild and beautiful in there.

Smellytele

I don't know the full details here and I'm only speculating, but there's a fair amount of crossover between BCA and Black's uphill program. So maybe the BCA folks think Black is being too strict.

The most locally famous BC skier in perhaps all of New England is Andrew Drummond. He basically started Blacks uphill culture as it exists today as I understand it. He has his own company in Jackson called Ski the Whites, which I seem to recall originally had it's office at Black Mountain.

He also happens to be on the Board of Director's for Back Country Alliance.

Personally I think uphill routes at ski areas should be designated uphill routes only and not be part of downhill skiing trails. Saddleback does this. I definitely have come close to nailing skinners in the past at Wildcat skiing the edge of Polecat as the center is boilerplate. Come around a corner and boom there are skinners or people snowshoeing in your line. I'm surprised collisions aren't more common.
I believe ski the whites used to actually be in the lodge at black. Used to rent at gear there.

abc

So the "trail" is more like a path through the woods, only that it's within the resort property. But the resort really doesn't do anything for its upkeep (maybe just clear it of down trees)?

ThatGuy

You don't need to blow snow or groom. All you need is about 4 to 6 inches of snow and the people skiinning do the rest. The track gets set by the first few skinners. Sugatbush did a nice job at Mt. Ellen. There are only a couple of places on lower FIS and South Bound that you come in contact with an actual trail. Really wild and beautiful in there.
Sugarbush has a really nice uphill route but the people taking that route and following the rules aren’t the ones I’m referring to. Nonetheless you are utilizing groomed trails and snowmaking on your descent, plus it does take work to mark and maintain an uphill route.

ThatGuy

So the "trail" is more like a path through the woods, only that it's within the resort property. But the resort really doesn't do anything for its upkeep (maybe just clear it of down trees)?
Yes, but it depends on the mountain. Sugarbush which is the topic of this conversation has a really nice dedicated uphill route through the woods, Magic has a nice one as well that stays in the woods for the most part. Mount Snow on the other hand goes right up a main trail and people don’t even follow it correctly.