• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

US Airways Flight down in Hudson

mondeo

Engines are designed and must pass testing for bird ingestion, it's just there's a limit to what you can reasonably design for. A flock of small birds or a single goose is one thing, a flock of geese is another.

Large bird ingestion tests:

Flocking bird test:

But my favorite is the blade out test:

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Here is a link to Fox News, there is video from surveilance cameras showing the landing and then the passengers on the wings. Didn't think about this, they must've evacuated the passengers in equal numbers at the same time on each wing to keep the planbe from listing

Plane Landing

Hawkshot99

Here is a link to Fox News, there is video from surveilance cameras showing the landing and then the passengers on the wings. Didn't think about this, they must've evacuated the passengers in equal numbers at the same time on each wing to keep the planbe from listing

Plane Landing

Cant find it on the site. Can you post direct link?

drjeff

Sullenburger is one impressive guy! With nerves like that, he's one person who you WOULDN'T want staring at you from across a poker table!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Sullenburger is one impressive guy! With nerves like that, he's one person who you WOULDN'T want staring at you from across a poker table!
No kidding! Very well spoken, calm cool and collected. He says things that put the one liners action heroes use in movies seem lame :beer:

Geoff

Not to detract from the guy but I suspect he's pretty typical of most experienced airline pilots. They have a staggering amount of training and a huge amount of hours.

dmc

Not to detract from the guy but I suspect he's pretty typical of most experienced airline pilots. They have a staggering amount of training and a huge amount of hours.

I've felt the this way through this whole thing..

Yeah - he did a good job... And amazing job!
But it was his job to do... He did it well - but I expect that of pilots.. I pay money to put my life in these guys hands... I expect them to do the right thing...

I'm sure he's uncomfortable with the "hero" moniker..

SkiDork

just to add to what dmc and Geoff said...

Guys who fly part FAR part 121 like this (left seaters are all ATP rated) spend a decent amount of time in simulators, where emergency after emergency are thrown at them so it becomes sort of 2nd nature when it actually happens. Still admirable traits in a person, though. He did a great job

dmc

I fly so much... that I hope it's not heroics and that any pilot could pull it off...

wa-loaf

I fly so much... that I hope it's not heroics and that any pilot could pull it off...

A friend is a flight attendant and there are definitely pilots she does not feel comfortable flying with.