• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

It has been regional, but an individual state may look if say an operator owned 4 of the top 6 resorts. Maybe Jay would make 4 of the top 7 in Vails case, not t sure how Smugg's fits in there
Even if a state were to get into the antitrust enforcement game - it is mostly done by federal agencies - they would still have to prove that the state lines constituted the relevant market. And it is difficult to see any compelling argument that Jay and Snow compete in a single market that doesn't include places much closer to Jay outside VT (e.g., Whiteface, Balsams, Cannon).

chuckstah

Cobbold

ScottySkis

2Planker

Wow, Seems that Food & Bev. experience is now more important than "on snow" (Lift Ops, Patrol, Snow making, Grooming) experience as people used to come up thru the ranks.....

drjeff

Wow, Seems that Food & Bev. experience is now more important than "on snow" (Lift Ops, Patrol, Snow making, Grooming) experience as people used to come up thru the ranks.....

I personally know the guy from Mount Snow who was promoted to the GM job at Mount Brighton, MI.

If one thinks that the head of a F&B operation at a ski resort is just about food and drink, then they're just not accurate in that perception.

More of the job is about managing and overseeing the staff and making sure that the ordering is up to date as well as any planning for events....

Many a GOOD ski area GM came from prior roles that weren't related to the direct snow surface and lift operations side of the industry

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

F/B is sometimes the most complex department to run, depending on the resort. And unlike the other departments you mention...the F/B manager is supposed to make sure the department turns a profit unlike on-mountain stuff that just burn through cash.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
'I personally know the guy from Mount Snow who was promoted to the GM job at Mount Brighton, MI.

If one thinks that the head of a F&B operation at a ski resort is just about food and drink, then they're just not accurate in that perception.

More of the job is about managing and overseeing the staff and making sure that the ordering is up to date as well as any planning for events....

Many a GOOD ski area GM came from prior roles that weren't related to the direct snow surface and lift operations side of the industry

It's crazy how 50 years ago so many GM's were head patroller's or ski school director's....oh how times have changed!

FBGM

Imagine going into the GM roll of the dumpster fire red headed step child of Vail eastern resorts - Wildcat. Good luck dude.

2Planker

I've been involved since the 80's, primarily at 4 resorts...
Trained and worked w/ many as they climbed the ladder. (Chip Seamens, JD Devivo, Brian Jones, Jim Bilotta, , and Brian Heon) Those guys all earned their stripes....

Call me old school, but I am not sure I really want a F&B manager making decisions about Snowmaking, Grooming, Lift Maintenance, Mountain Ops.
And definitely not when it comes to Patrol oversight and making medical calls on trauma pts. Calling for LifeFlight or DART has to come from the resort's GM in ME & NH

YES, Good Luck to both of them. They've got a huge pile to clean up.

Last edited:

Smellytele

I've been involved since the 80's, primarily at 4 resorts...
Trained and worked w/ many as they climbed the ladder. (Chip Seamens, JD Devivo, Brian Jones, Jim Bilotta, , and Brian Heon) Those guys all earned their stripes....

Call me old school, but I am not sure I really want a F&B manager making decisions about Snowmaking, Grooming, and Lift Maintenance. And definitely not when it comes the Patrol oversight and making medical calls on trauma.
Do you want someone who was responsible for snowmaking, grooming and lift maintenance making medical calls on trauma?

snoseek

It's all about putting the right dept heads in place and listening to them. Maybe f&b is popular because the threshold of shitshow is high up? You do get real good at the procurement and office side of things that's foe sure and you get real fucking good at multitasking.

deadheadskier

Staff member
As someone who served as assistant director of F&B at two resorts and had a stint as acting director at one of them, I don't think that division is the best track for ski resort GMs. Unless those mountains have stellar mountain ops department heads, which is certainly no longer the case at Wildcat unless they have hired someone great since last season.

Hopefully they work out

2Planker

Do you want someone who was responsible for snowmaking, grooming and lift maintenance making medical calls on trauma?
OK maybe not the best example...
In terms of Mt Ops, We'll make the Med decisions.

I'm sorry, maybe it's me. But putting the F&B manager in charge of the whole resort is stupid.
Then again, both WC and ATrash had every other supervisor/manager leave this summer. So they were probably the only ones left.
They certainly didn't advertise and many w/ any type of ski resort experience have already eliminated working for Vail, at least in NH

We'll see... At least the food at Atrash has to improve. It was god awful the last 2-3 years.
WC food is simpler and OK. Not great, but good Burger w/ fries or Bfast bacon,egg&cheese.

Last edited: