• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

abc

FACT CHECK (from the future): False
You didn't read the rest of the message as to why I was "done".

And the subsequent message why I stayed on for longer.

But I know you read it. You just selectively choose to quote my posting out of context.

Yes, with people like you {yeah, right, finance expert turned medical professional overnight during the pandemic, now turned business expert), I'm very much done with this board, if not for still some other people who aren't like you . You're very much part of the reason they don't stick around.

Last edited:

Kingslug20

I still dont believe that the paid parking will chase away the crowds from vail...piss off the locals...oh yeah.

gittist

We’re less than 2 months into a 9 month selling season and still months away from the first price increase.
What price increase? I know in years past they increase the price as the season approaches but all I see this year is the buddy tickets by May 30.

snoseek

Unless you own property, if you already gave vail money already for next year you fucked up.

KustyTheKlown

I wondered if the timing was suspect. Stowe and PCMR are big draws for Epic. Paid parking puts a crimp in this.

My beef with Solitude, other than the timing, was that it was rolled out pretty badly in that it was painfully obvious that Alterra called Solitude and told them to cut costs and find a way to pay for all of those bus passes for folks to ski and ride non-company resorts. Not a single dime has gone to charity as they planned.

I skied Solitude yesterday. Free parking after 1pm. I went in with an open mind as best as I could. I still left thinking it is a "meh" resort. Either too steep to hold snow or too flat.

kind of hard to lap the best terrain too. honeycomb is like a 3 lift circuit.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You think its bad now I remember when you had to take that catrack all the way out...then again it probably stayed even fresher back there for that reason. It was a super long journey
That is the beauty of it and its biggest drawback. I did not do Honeycomb because we had a pretty bad thaw/freeze cycle and anything ungroomed was iffy at best.

Solitude was a resort that the founder "forced" to come into existence. He would be a modern day MAGA hat wearing guy. He had many a fight with the USFS and ignored regulations--including safety regulations on his homemade chairlift. He eventually was all but shut down. In fact, he closed the ski area like 2-weeks into the season.

He sold eventually and it became a legitimate ski area eventually.

The terrain, elevation, and layout are just not ideal. I would not have put a ski area there.

snoseek

That is the beauty of it and its biggest drawback. I did not do Honeycomb because we had a pretty bad thaw/freeze cycle and anything ungroomed was iffy at best.

Solitude was a resort that the founder "forced" to come into existence. He would be a modern day MAGA hat wearing guy. He had many a fight with the USFS and ignored regulations--including safety regulations on his homemade chairlift. He eventually was all but shut down. In fact, he closed the ski area like 2-weeks into the season.

He sold eventually and it became a legitimate ski area eventually.

The terrain, elevation, and layout are just not ideal. I would not have put a ski area there.
I used to like it there but yeah the terrain layout is horrible and skiing the full vert isnt really a thing

thetrailboss

Staff member
I used to like it there but yeah the terrain layout is horrible and skiing the full vert isnt really a thing

Kingslug20

Skied a few times there..damn near bought it when we got cliffed out in the forrest...some scary stuff back there.

snoseek

slatham

Bad all around. Stopping the bus and still charging is poor form. The twitter exchange in amateur hour. I am sure the brass at Alterra are thrilled.

(The new COO, ex of Sugarbush, must be having a great time this week)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bad all around. Stopping the bus and still charging is poor form. The twitter exchange in amateur hour. I am sure the brass at Alterra are thrilled.

(The new COO, ex of Sugarbush, must be having a great time this week)
I imagine that the PR guy/gal was fired.