• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Kingslug20

Back to Vail sux...
Winter has shifted a bit...early season sucked for here and the west. Utah just got 20 inches..it snowed in VT and the AD's...
Gore,WF,and Bellfriiginayre open,SB open,Jay open.....
All Vail resorts in East except Mt Snow closed...why...because they are done..so..you are done.....
Heres SB yesterday. 20220422_113017.jpg20220422_110131.jpg20220422_110110.jpg20220422_105914.jpg

ThatGuy

Its impressive and if they plan on making that the new MO I’ll probably jump ship to Ski3 next season. Just wish they were more aggressive with opening terrain (Burnt Ridge, Lookout Mountain).

drjeff

Flying out of Logan tomorrow.
In other news skied Tuck’s today. Great day. Did see a hit tomahawk down the lip and break both his legs though
Good luck with your travels. And if you're renting a car, hope it won't start off like the debacle Avis was for me and my family in FL last week!! :mad::mad:

eatskisleep

Flying out of Logan tomorrow.
In other news skied Tuck’s today. Great day. Did see a guy tomahawk down the lip and break both his legs though
Wow that sucks big time. How is the bowl holding up? Might head that way this coming weekend if not too cold…

ThatGuy

Good luck with your travels. And if you're renting a car, hope it won't start off like the debacle Avis was for me and my family in FL last week!! :mad::mad:
Had a major debacle with Hertz while in Yellowstone during a road trip over the summer. For reference this was the condition of the tires on the car, thats not even going into the other issues it had.
View attachment FullSizeRender.mov

abc

So Vail sucks because it requires mask in the middle of the pandemic, right?

Because my skiing at Vail didn’t suck...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Weird. I had bald tires on my rental in Jersey this week. Didn't bother to look when I picked it up and only noticed it the next morning. Pointed it out at return so they didn't rent it to someone else. Got a voucher for two free days.

ThatGuy

Had one blowout and the other three all were just as worn down. I ended up having to buy 4 new tires and have more work done. Hertz cancelled the rental when I brought it back so I couldn’t use my insurance.

Teleskier

Back to Vail sux...
Winter has shifted a bit...early season sucked for here and the west. Utah just got 20 inches..it snowed in VT and the AD's...
Gore,WF,and Bellfriiginayre open,SB open,Jay open.....
All Vail resorts in East except Mt Snow closed...why...because they are done..so..you are done.....
Heres SB yesterday. View attachment 54354
Stein's is still looking great! Their late season skiing is yet another argument making the case for getting the IKON pass.

Last edited:

Andrew B.

I haven’t been to Logan yet. Voluntary mask usage at the airport after the mandate repeal was a widely reported local story.

(Note I’m not commenting on whether the current relaxation of mask mandates makes sense to me or not. I’m still weighing everything, like everyone else).

“Masks Suck.” No, masks saved lives.

It’s the attitude about masks from day one on the part of the vocal few that irked me. It’s always been all about them from day one, never about others, or their neighbors literally sitting right next to them. Personally I never found wearing a mask for my neighbor’s health to be that much of an inconvenience for me.

The fact they’re still going on about masks, even now when everyone is collectively declaring that ‘COVID is over’ - and no one is making anyone wear masks - irks me. As if they are constantly incessantly driven to make something that is strictly medical into something political. From Day One.

Especially from someone from the medical field that should supposedly be used to thinking about and caring about the immuno-compromised, that perhaps many others in the general public don’t normally think about or see.

You won ‘doctor’. No one is making you wear a mask. Yet you’re still going on about it! Drop it already. I listened to it for two years, please stop trying to turn it into three.

Meanwhile back to skiing…
lol

KustyTheKlown

I skied jay yesterday and they had so much open! Tram laps to Tuckerman, Valhalla, green beret. Andres skied great but the runout was shit with mandatory walk at the end. Timbuktu holding tons of snow. Don’t skip power line (I think they call it 601 now) - great skiing along the skiers right line at the bottom of the double fall line. Enjoy!

I am at sugarbush for some morning laps now that they have heavens gate running. Jay has so much more natural snow right now, but what sugarbush has on offer for the snowmaking routes is pretty damn good all things considered

Good weekend! Late season goodness making up for mid season garbage. A little bit.

jaytrem

At SEA right now. In the security line there were more wheelchairs than masks. Actually the most people I've ever seen being wheeled in an airport. Little surprising since people don't seem to be as fat out here.

Was a great week of skiing. Finally got to Crystal on my 5th try. Was a power day with near bluebird skis. Super fun place, lots of steep stuff all over thd place. Power stayed nice up top all day. Only did one day there. Was nice that they had free skiing for kids, so it was only about $105 for the 3 of us.

Aftet that we headed up to Whistler for 7 days. Spent most of the 1st 2 at Whistler since they were closing after that. Word is that will be reversed for next year, so I suspect a chair or 2 will be replaced on Blackcomb. It snowed most of the 2nd day, a good 8 inches during the day up top. Total storm turned out to be about 20. Rest of the week was all Blackcomb and quite nice. Good combo of snow storms and sun. Most importantly we didn't give Vail any extra money. Condo was right on the slopes, so easy lunch breaks. Crazy how cheap you can get slopeside in mid/late April. Was about $1300 CAD for a 1 bedroom, 2 bath with Murphey bed in the living room, 7 nights.

As for operations, they did okay, but communication could be better. Web site was often way off. 7th Heaven didn't run most of the time. Never did get up there. They ran Glacier instead, which I prefer anyway, easy access to Spanky's. It was awesome back there. Faces more north, so snowed stayed nice. Craziest thing was the opening/closing times. The scheduled opening was 10 most days. However they started loading anytime between 9:15 and 9:45. Was almost always before 9:30. The latest we managed to load was Catskinner 1 day at about 4:20. I think our earliest last load was about 4:08 on Jersey Cream, lousy timing that day! Staff was all very friendly.

Almost time to board, maybe should hop the plane to Denver at the next gate. Hmmmmm

Attachments

• 20220420_114129.jpg
    20220420_114129.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16

Zand

I'm in Florida right now...15% sounds about right for people still wearing.

When I was at Sugarbush, Jay, and Killington last month, the number of people wearing masks in the lodges and also in stores was mostly 0, or the occasional one or two. Definitely a higher percentage wearing them in stores and stuff here in Florida than there were in Vermont.