• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

chuckstah

And we will be at SB a little more now..
Good plan Vail....
I was tailgating at Jay a couple weeks ago with a bunch of Stowe regulars all of whom said F Fail and paid parking. They all bought Jay passes for next season. A 4 day pass didn't cut it. Seems the plan is working as planned to drive people away.

thetrailboss

Staff member
View attachment 54493
Get three of these babies and I’ll be rolling into Stowe for free 😂
04_Curb-Your-Enthusiasm-The-Car-Pool-Lane.jpg

NYDB

And we will be at SB a little more now..
Good plan Vail....
Don't they already have your pass money? Why would they care? I don't think you drop rental/lesson $ or big money on food and bev so, mission accomplished from their perspective. Keep a spot free for the people who will drop $500 /day on extras

Kingslug20

Ill be at stowe monday to thursday most times..only time i go weekends is when my wife wants to go..so its not affecting me much. We could hit stowe some weekends and SB others.
Plan on spending more time at Jay as well.

machski

Well, we just pulled the trigger on Epic 3 day. Friends own a home now in Jackson and they have gone full Epic, so gives us 2 days to ski with them (couple it to Black and Jackson X-C on our Indy) and a day at Stowe. Need to get back there at least once, mon-thurs that is :p

FBGM

Park City is still not fully permitted yet for their lifts. City/Town hanging it up. The only thing bigger then Vail is that town. They can make them miserable and it seems they are doing so. Good on them

jimmywilson69

Thats terrible. They go out of their way to not open terrain that is safe to ski and wouldn't replace a critical piece of equipment as recommended.

How awful for the family. This was totally preventable...

crystalmountainskier

The state's report is shocking. Vail Exec comes up with 4 different reasons he doesn't want to follow manufacturer requirement to replace lanyards annually. $26 lanyards are not replaced for years. Lanyard fails and sends poor employee to the ground at 80 miles an hour. No documented training or inspections of said equipment.

The guy in Broomfield literally accused the zip line company of trying to pump up Petzl's gear sales. And he's still there.

Last edited:

cdskier

Thats terrible. They go out of their way to not open terrain that is safe to ski and wouldn't replace a critical piece of equipment as recommended.

How awful for the family. This was totally preventable...

Absolutely insane. A critical and inexpensive piece of equipment and you push back on replacing it? Absolutely mind-boggling.

The state's report is shocking. Vail Exec comes up with 4 different reasons he doesn't want to follow manufacturer requirement to replace lanyards annually. $26 lanyards are not replaced for years. Lanyard fails and sends poor employee to the ground at 80 miles an hour. No documented training or inspections of said equipment.

The guy in Broomfield literally accused the zip line company of trying to pump up Petzl's gear sales. And he's still there.

I just don't get it at all. A $26 piece of equipment and you argue with the recommendations of the manufacturer? Even if you had to replace 1,000 of them that would still be pennies for a company the size of Vail. The "inspections" and lack of someone officially certified by the manufacturer to perform those inspections is pretty crazy too.

I really never expected to see the investigation find such a major vault with Vail in this accident. For a company that always claims to focus so much on "safety" for their ski operations, the corners they cut here are just inexcusable and completely nonsensical.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Smellytele

Absolutely insane. A critical and inexpensive piece of equipment and you push back on replacing it? Absolutely mind-boggling.

I just don't get it at all. A $26 piece of equipment and you argue with the recommendations of the manufacturer? Even if you had to replace 1,000 of them that would still be pennies for a company the size of Vail. The "inspections" and lack of someone officially certified by the manufacturer to perform those inspections is pretty crazy too.

I really never expected to see the investigation find such a major vault with Vail in this accident. For a company that always claims to focus so much on "safety" for their ski operations, the corners they cut here are just inexcusable and completely nonsensical.
Well they rolled the dice. If they had to replace 1000 At this moment it would have only saved them $1000 as the fine was only 27k. Obviously they still will get sued but the insurance will cover that.

cdskier

Well they rolled the dice. If they had to replace 1000 At this moment it would have only saved them $1000 as the fine was only 27k. Obviously they still will get sued but the insurance will cover that.
I don't think they actually have anywhere near 1000 lanyards though...I picked that number to over-exaggerate. So the actual replacement cost should have been substantially less.

crystalmountainskier

I don't think they actually have anywhere near 1000 lanyards though...I picked that number to over-exaggerate. So the actual replacement cost should have been substantially less.
VOSHA report says they bought 50 in 2019 at a cost of $26 each. We’re talking about $1,300 for a company with 2019 revenue of $2.3 billion.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So sketchy. I wonder how common such lack of maintenance is prevalent on Ziplines. My son really wants to do the one at Gunstock. Now I'm not so sure....

cdskier

VOSHA report says they bought 50 in 2019 at a cost of $26 each. We’re talking about $1,300 for a company with 2019 revenue of $2.3 billion.
Yup...although we don't know if 50 represents their entire inventory or whether they just purchased 50 with the intention of having spares on hand to replace part of their inventory if needed though. Either way it is still peanuts.