• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

machski

With the issue of the traffic at Sunapee the expansion would only make it worse not better., still have to go up 103 to get there
Yes, but you wouldn't have all the traffic trying to funnel up the main base access road and blocking up that crazy rotary. Some would divert and park at the new West Bowl base lot. That may allow traffic to at least flow on 103 rather than become the parking lot it has at times now.

Smellytele

Yes, but you wouldn't have all the traffic trying to funnel up the main base access road and blocking up that crazy rotary. Some would divert and park at the new West Bowl base lot. That may allow traffic to at least flow on 103 rather than become the parking lot it has at times now.
All the maps I have seen never show parking over there

deadheadskier

Staff member
If they don't go through the expansion, Sunapee definitely needs to upgrade uphill capacity. I'd like to see the summit quad replaced with a six pack and then move that quad to replace the North Peak triple. It would be on the short side for a HSQ, but they need the capacity. Weekend lines there are simply brutal. The only escape is the Spruce Triple and that gets old fast being such short vertical.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If they don't go through the expansion, Sunapee definitely needs to upgrade uphill capacity. I'd like to see the summit quad replaced with a six pack and then move that quad to replace the North Peak triple. It would be on the short side for a HSQ, but they need the capacity. Weekend lines there are simply brutal. The only escape is the Spruce Triple and that gets old fast being such short vertical.

I don't think the downhill capacity could support a six to the top. Spruce as a HSQ makes sense though, plenty of capacity of off that "pod"

machski

I don't think the downhill capacity could support a six to the top. Spruce as a HSQ makes sense though, plenty of capacity of off that "pod"
Sure it could, a Sox doesn't necessarily have that much more capacity than a HSQ. But if the West Bowl expansion happens, current summit quad was suppose to be flipped over there and a Six put in to the Summit up the current line. North was suppose to get upgraded to a Quad (in the Mueller days, this was thought to have been the stored FGQ they had at base of Sunbowl) and the current North Triple flipped as a second portal out of Sunbowl to top of North. Vail has been quite mum on moving forward.

An yes ST, the West Bowl plans I saw included a new base area and a lot for maybe around 250 cars. Not huge, but would be a slight relief valve.

Newpylong

Attitash will be able to cut operating costs with the install of the Summit Quad. There is no way they will run the Yankee mid-week now, I wouldn't. They could even get away with not running that new FGQ if they really wanted, it would just make everyone go down Northeast Passage. As for Bear, ideally Flying Bear and Abenaki, Kachina not required mid-week, buy avain they could run just Flying Bear if they really wanted to.

Sunapee's summit quad has a ton of hours. Every year they don't relocate it means it's less likely to be reinstalled.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For some reason I always call the Abanaki chair Kachina. Probably because it services the Kachina trail.

The cross over from Attitash proper to Bear Base blows without Abanaki spinning. I would typically ride the quad to the mid station and ski down Trillium or Quiver to the base. That's why I think it should spin. Plus for the home owners at the base of Abanaki

machski

Attitash will be able to cut operating costs with the install of the Summit Quad. There is no way they will run the Yankee mid-week now, I wouldn't. They could even get away with not running that new FGQ if they really wanted, it would just make everyone go down Northeast Passage. As for Bear, ideally Flying Bear and Abenaki, Kachina not required mid-week, buy avain they could run just Flying Bear if they really wanted to.

Sunapee's summit quad has a ton of hours. Every year they don't relocate it means it's less likely to be reinstalled.
This, and IIRC, the only reason why Yankee is even there is this was the path of least (no Forest Service permitting required) for LBO to string up a HSQ on Attitash proper. It was the highest they could go and remain clear of Forest Service land while providing a HS link to Bear.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

I don't know about that. Hunter's 1987 Poma HSQ got relocated what... 10 years ago? I'm sure that had more hours than Sunapee's HSQ does now. And as you know an '87 hsq is ancient stuff. Sunapee's quad is what, 93'-95' or there about? I feel like there's a couple other re-installs of those late 80s Poma HSQ's but it's slipping my mind.

machski

I don't know about that. Hunter's 1987 Poma HSQ got relocated what... 10 years ago? I'm sure that had more hours than Sunapee's HSQ does now. And as you know an '87 hsq is ancient stuff. Sunapee's quad is what, 93'-95' or there about? I feel like there's a couple other re-installs of those late 80s Poma HSQ's but it's slipping my mind.
That may be, but Vail is changing out all it's oldest models across it's portfolio. I think Newpy is implying Vail may not want to re-use it, regardless if other operators have refused even older models.

Newpylong

Yes to what machski said. Nothing to really know about, words straight from the horses mouth...

It's actually a '98 install but outside of a few weeks in the spring it runs all season for skiing and scenic rides. Would it get located next season if given the chance? Probably... but every year that it stays where it is reduces the likelihood.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes to what machski said. Nothing to really know about, words straight from the horses mouth...

It's actually a '98 install but outside of a few weeks in the spring it runs all season for skiing and scenic rides. Would it get located next season if given the chance? Probably... but every year that it stays where it is reduces the likelihood.
Does Leitner-Poma have a remanufacturing program like Doppelmayr has been doing the last few years for Boyne?

Newpylong

It depends on what the program is; I am not familiar with it. However, oftentimes when a lift if reinstalled it will go through various levels of refurbishment depending on many different factors. So it can go all the way from being reinstalled nearly as is, or depending on the age of the lift, nearly entirely refurbished/ many components replaced to come to the latest ANSI standards.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It depends on what the program is; I am not familiar with it. However, oftentimes when a lift if reinstalled it will go through various levels of refurbishment depending on many different factors. So it can go all the way from being reinstalled nearly as is, or depending on the age of the lift, nearly entirely refurbished/ many components replaced to come to the latest ANSI standards.
The latter is what I understand Doppelmayr is doing for Boyne.

machski

Fairly sure the flat top flyer was a complete refurb by Poma, helps of course that it was installed in their backyard.

They may do them, but I am unaware that they have a big, promoted program akin to Dopp's. So far, Boyne is really the only one heavily onboard.

FBGM

ANSI for life on all moved chairs. Oh you bought a 1982 pile oh junk double for $50k? Let’s put $400k into that to meet code.

I’m not arguing ANSI standards. I just went through one of those classes. It’s good. Glad to see more focus on lifts. From state and federal. But to be honest, more is needed. I hate riding lifts back east. Especially old ones. All I can think about is what can happen. Sucks fun out of skiing