• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

cdskier

I think Stowe has been aggressive with Snowmaking. What I think they have pulled back on big time since Vail took over is opening terrain on thin conditions that may one time the resort would have. Slug is comparing Sugarbush to Stowe in this fashion, even though the Bush's system is far inferior to Stowe 's. SB compensates by opening terrain on much less cover.

I kind of always thought Stowe's patrol was more conservative even pre-Vail. In terms of snow-making, considering that Stowe's system is more powerful than SB's, I think it is also disappointing a bit in how they've used the system. Here we are going into January and Stowe doesn't even have Nosedive open.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I kind of always thought Stowe's patrol was more conservative even pre-Vail. In terms of snow-making, considering that Stowe's system is more powerful than SB's, I think it is also disappointing a bit in how they've used the system. Here we are going into January and Stowe doesn't even have Nosedive open.

They were always conservative with dropping ropes early season dating back to 1995 when I moved there. But, oddly, late season they would allow stuff to remain open even when very thin.

I don't recall a Christmas week during my time when Hayride and Nosedive weren't open. Typically Lift line too.

hovercraft

Agreed, being a season pass holder at both mountains over the years SB has always been more aggressive at opening trails compared to Vail, pre or post . I also think Vail is more conservative than AIG was.

MidnightJester

from an employee on site. they confirmed at least 1 fatality. a 22 yo skiing with his dad.

RIP.

news reports say it was ob..
Sad there goes the love of the holidays and skiing for a while for that family. Best wishes to the family and anyone else caught in the Avalanche.

MidnightJester

Not inbounds.
Not that it matters too greatly outside of the liability discussion.
Looked like a wide slide in the picture background between the trees from the rescue.
The fact that it happened just outside of the ski boundary and so close to Peak 10 which has a lift I wonder if they did Lift-assisted backcountry or just hiked in?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not inbounds.

Not that it matters too greatly outside of the liability discussion.
Yeah, looks like it was in slack country (just outside the boundary). It still sucks--especially since it was a father and son.

I'm not in UT but I am seeing high snowfall amounts and high avalanche danger alerts.