• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Kingslug20

And.......the transfer gondola between mansfield and spruce.....is broken....
Omg...on one of the busiest weeks...
Oy...vey...

thebigo

LOL I want to know why they took that photo...

Also we are getting the attitash treatment at Roundtop with 1984 Dopp Triple. Last season it started surging at full speed so they ran it at half speed for the entire season. No "EPIC LIFT UPGRADE". Chatter was that it was to be replaced this summer and now said chatter is saying its not happening. The thing is still running half speed and broke down this morning for a few hours.

At least they buried the mountain this week and will likely have all but 1 or 2 trails open before the damn warm up. Should be pretty weather proof but its going to be a long 2 weeks without snowmaking in January...
What would you like to see at roundtop? Quad with a loading carpet or a high speed quad?

hovercraft

Stowe is not that big ....on snowmaking so far..
You must be kidding right? They have been blowing snow the entire season. They have a minimum of 120 guns (sometimes they had up to 180 ) going all the time when the weather is available. For an example to get sensation open for Xmas they had 114 guns going just on Main Street This is whats wrong with this thread people saying shit, just to say shit I am not defending a lot of stuff Vail has done but lets be accurate.

hovercraft

Oy...vey...
No Oy…vey.. needed. They had plenty of shuttles and busses bringing people back and forth.

drjeff

You must be kidding right? They have been blowing snow the entire season. They have a minimum of 120 guns (sometimes they had up to 180 ) going all the time when the weather is available. For an example to get sensation open for Xmas they had 114 guns going just on Main Street This is whats wrong with this thread people saying shit, just to say shit I am not defending a lot of stuff Vail has done but lets be accurate.

I think what was trying to be implied wasn't that Stowe hasn't been making snow (they certainly have) but that compared to other players, their system as of yet, isn't BIG. Factor in the length and pitch of many trails at Stowe (both of which add to the time it takes to cover a run adequately) and its often a challenge for them to roll out as many trails as some of its competitors can, quickly. Then add in the often challenging and frustrating weather Mother Nature has thrown at so many snowmakers the last 2 months more often than not.

I am fairly certain that the folks at Vail corporate haven't told the folks at Stowe, or probably any of their resorts, to hold back on snowmaking ahead of Christmas Week

Vter

Oy...vey...
Bring back the shuttle bus to & from Spruce to Mansfield, driving a standard with one boot, parking wherever, single fixed gripped chair with 3 wool ponchos. Bring back “coupon books” fer a ride, bring back skiing over to Smuggs for a run or 3, bring back what it was…& Matterhorn non-talkers about the “Front 4” oh my…I drive buses full of racers from many Vt Towns through that Town & carefully make sure they get home safely. I watched a mountain shuttle let off 3 groups of 3-4, 1st ones crossed Mt Road, 2nd & 3rd were nearly Run-down by out of town heavy money rigs. blew the horn ! Nobody stopped as they found the pizza & liquor store parking. A-holes
I simply can’t stand that town now.
I just came back from little Burke full of Racers…nice respectful kids and really nice and safe “take a run or 3 & go to work folks”
What a difference, sad Stowe, very Sad. I moved

hovercraft

I think what was trying to be implied wasn't that Stowe hasn't been making snow (they certainly have) but that compared to other players, their system as of yet, isn't BIG. Factor in the length and pitch of many trails at Stowe (both of which add to the time it takes to cover a run adequately) and its often a challenge for them to roll out as many trails as some of its competitors can, quickly. Then add in the often challenging and frustrating weather Mother Nature has thrown at so many snowmakers the last 2 months more often than not.

I am fairly certain that the folks at Vail corporate haven't told the folks at Stowe, or probably any of their resorts, to hold back on snowmaking ahead of Christmas Week
When you say competitors who are yo speaking of? I agree on the length and pitch issue as it takes a lot of guns to cover a trail. Main Street is case in point with plenty others you could use as an example. As far as what he meant it’s not the first time Slug has commented on his disappointment about the snowmaking @ Stowe. IMO it’s not reality. As far as the thread goes there is a lot of legitimate issues people bring up. With that being said I do feel like a lot of complaints are people just piling on, making assumptions, or speculating. At some point in time people need to move on. Just my 2 cents……..

Kingslug20

I'm just going to ski where I feel is best..I'm done thinking about all this...

Vter

Bring back the shuttle bus to & from Spruce to Mansfield, driving a standard with one boot, parking wherever, single fixed gripped chair with 3 wool ponchos. Bring back “coupon books” fer a ride, bring back skiing over to Smuggs for a run or 3, bring back what it was…& Matterhorn non-talkers about the “Front 4” oh my…I drive buses full of racers from many Vt Towns through that Town & carefully make sure they get home safely. I watched a mountain shuttle let off 3 groups of 3-4, 1st ones crossed Mt Road, 2nd & 3rd were nearly Run-down by out of town heavy money rigs. blew the horn ! Nobody stopped as they found the pizza & liquor store parking. A-holes
I simply can’t stand that town now.
I just came back from little Burke full of Racers…nice respectful kids and really nice and safe “take a run or 3 & go to work folks”
What a difference, sad Stowe, very Sad. I moved
Edit: I did not mean to imply that the Racer Kids or Coaches from Stowe are nothing less than Top-notch. They are respectful and just great focussed athletes & Staff. They have a great AD and it shows It is a privallege to serve them. It’s Epic and Vail that’s to blame for all this nonsense…it’s Disney World fake, now.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I think that would be the Ramrod lift. Most important lift on the hill to some
Yeah it is to me. If that is moving half speed it would be a reason for me to go elsewhere - typically Frost which is a little closer to me anyway - as if I had the inclination and time to go as far as Hunter I would not be considering Roundtop.

snoseek

My hope is to return to Epic next year but not hearing much for encouraging reports. Fingers crossed but I’m prepared to go Ikon, even though that’d be a PITA. I really want big snowmaking resorts as options, and I don’t have that this year.
Considering the weather its been ok. Before the rain they were pretty loose about opening natural stuff. Wildcat has never been a snowmaking powerhouse but as someone who skis a bit midweek maybe have a look at Loon they get stuff open FAST.

jimmywilson69

Which lift is that?
I think that would be the Ramrod lift. Most important lift on the hill to some

Correct

What would you like to see at roundtop? Quad with a loading carpet or a high speed quad?

No high speed just a regular quad is fine. No need for a loading carpet either. I'm sure they won't replace with a triple, but that too would be fine. Just an fully functional and operational lift is all I require

Yes at half speed it slows down laps👎

machski

When you say competitors who are yo speaking of? I agree on the length and pitch issue as it takes a lot of guns to cover a trail. Main Street is case in point with plenty others you could use as an example. As far as what he meant it’s not the first time Slug has commented on his disappointment about the snowmaking @ Stowe. IMO it’s not reality. As far as the thread goes there is a lot of legitimate issues people bring up. With that being said I do feel like a lot of complaints are people just piling on, making assumptions, or speculating. At some point in time people need to move on. Just my 2 cents……..
I think Stowe has been aggressive with Snowmaking. What I think they have pulled back on big time since Vail took over is opening terrain on thin conditions that may one time the resort would have. Slug is comparing Sugarbush to Stowe in this fashion, even though the Bush's system is far inferior to Stowe 's. SB compensates by opening terrain on much less cover.

Dickc

Well, the brand new progressive quad at Attitsh had a drive failure late yesterday, AND the backup drive would not run either! Lift evac! On a brand new lift. Only at a Vail resort!!!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, the brand new progressive quad at Attitsh had a drive failure late yesterday, AND the backup drive would not run either! Lift evac! On a brand new lift. Only at a Vail resort!!!
Actually, another brand new Dopp at Sundance had a similar failure two weeks ago.

Kingslug20

I think Stowe has been aggressive with Snowmaking. What I think they have pulled back on big time since Vail took over is opening terrain on thin conditions that may one time the resort would have. Slug is comparing Sugarbush to Stowe in this fashion, even though the Bush's system is far inferior to Stowe 's. SB compensates by opening terrain on much less cover.
Yes...I of course will be at Stowe once these trails open..
This might take a while at this point point.
Looking towards the west now..