• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

2planks2coasts

I already have shifted toward the Indy Pass which I only purchased on December 31st, after seeing how things were going with the Vail resorts this year. I will still probably get a Weekend at Attitash and Wildcat, and will continue to do day trips to Sunapee, and less so Crotched. But already I have had a great day at Pats Peak, and plan on going also to Berkshire East and Cannon on the Indy Pass. And maybe if it actually snows a lot maybe go to Black when I am up in the MWV instead of Wildcat. The Indy Pass already is salvaging my season, and I fully intend to buy it again next year when hopefully there will not be VT travel restrictions. Epic next year I am doubtful I will get, maybe Ikon Base.

After years of railing against the megapasses, in particular Vail, for destroying the sport, I gave in and bought an Ikon base this year because of the nurse discount. That was before I knew I would be in NH this winter. Since it turns out one of the perks of finishing a Masters in your 40's is NH college pass eligibility, I haven't used the Ikon yet. Probably will, Loon is 20 minutes away, maybe SR too, or Sugarbush if I can make VT work, but it's pretty unlikely I get it again. If still here next season will likely get a midweek pass for Cannon and either a Ski Cooper pass or an Indy. Never Epic!

Last edited:

chuckstah

I already have shifted toward the Indy Pass which I only purchased on December 31st, after seeing how things were going with the Vail resorts this year. I will still probably get a Weekend at Attitash and Wildcat, and will continue to do day trips to Sunapee, and less so Crotched. But already I have had a great day at Pats Peak, and plan on going also to Berkshire East and Cannon on the Indy Pass. And maybe if it actually snows a lot maybe go to Black when I am up in the MWV instead of Wildcat. The Indy Pass already is salvaging my season, and I fully intend to buy it again next year when hopefully there will not be VT travel restrictions. Epic next year I am doubtful I will get, maybe Ikon Base.
Same. I have a few days at Crotched, none further north as not worth the drive. I purchased Indy as a backup, and now it's number one. Berkshire East this past Sunday was by far my best non powder day this season by far. Looking forward to many more Indy days.

Smellytele

After years of railing against the megapasses, in particular Vail, for destroying the sport, I gave in and bought an Ikon base this year because of the nurse discount. That was before I knew I would be in NH this winter. Since it turns out one of the perks of finishing a Masters in your 40's is NH college pass eligibility, I haven't used the Ikon yet. Probably will, Loon is 20 minutes away, maybe SR too, or Sugarbush if I can make VT work, but it's pretty unlikely I get it again. If still here next season will likely get a midweek pass for Cannon and either a Ski Cooper pass or an Indy. Never Epic!
The Ski Cooper thing interests me. My son will be in college next year in Leadville so it could work out well for me. He also gets a free Copper pass and my other son goes to college in VT and gets a sugarbush pass (not this year as covid is screwing it up) so an Ikon may work as well...

jimmywilson69

There is a college in Leadville?

that'd be an incredibly awesome and distracting place to go to college! so much awesome outdoor stuff to do with that as a home base.

2planks2coasts

The Ski Cooper thing interests me. My son will be in college next year in Leadville so it could work out well for me. He also gets a free Copper pass and my other son goes to college in VT and gets a sugarbush pass (not this year as covid is screwing it up) so an Ikon may work as well...
Nice! Are they getting the passes for racing or just for being a student there?

Before I found out I could score the NH College Pass, I was weighing either cooper or Indy for my second pass. I had Indy last year and LOVE it. Love the pricing, love the ethos, love the slightly ad-hoc nature of it. I consider myself an IndyPass evangelist. Cooper offered a pretty compelling alternative though. Starting of course with unlimited days at their fun little mountain. Similar pricing ($249 through the summer), but with 3 and sometimes 4 days at their 50 partner mountains vs 2 days for the Indy. They also have a decent partner presence in places that Indy has so far failed to gain traction, such as Tahoe and Colorado.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Before I found out I could score the NH College Pass, I was weighing either cooper or Indy for my second pass. I had Indy last year and LOVE it. Love the pricing, love the ethos, love the slightly ad-hoc nature of it. I consider myself an IndyPass evangelist. Cooper offered a pretty compelling alternative though. Starting of course with unlimited days at their fun little mountain. Similar pricing ($249 through the summer), but with 3 and sometimes 4 days at their 50 partner mountains vs 2 days for the Indy. They also have a decent partner presence in places that Indy has so far failed to gain traction, such as Tahoe and Colorado.
FWIW Bushmogulmaster and his Dad ran Cooper (or used to).

Smellytele

Just for going in Colorado - CMC.
Sugarbush we have to buy the college pass. If it is still available next year.

thebigo

Skied crotched this afternoon after splitting time between attitash and wildcat everyday since Christmas. While there certainly is thin cover in a few spots, crotched is offering a product on par with their historic norm for mlk weekend. I would guess crotched is offering more acres than wildcat, the contrast between the two is stark. All four nh properties face the same challenges this year but somehow the most southern and low elevation of the four has been able to maintain typical operations. Vail needs to figure out a way for the crotch gm to mentor the rookies, that is if they even realize the problem.

McFatt

I agree. Skied Crotched last night (Tuesday) and was impressed by the conditions and number of different trails I hit with my kids for 2.5 hours. We had a blast!
If Attitash wants to salvage the season, they have to run the Abenaki lift so the crowd can spread out this weekend. And hopefully the Yankee is back on. I have stayed away from Wildcat since opening weekend because that place is hurtin’
Hopefully the rain doesn’t eat up too much of the base. What’s ya’lls thoughts on the conditions this weekend?

2Planker

3"-4" for the MWV, before it turns to rain.
Sat. might be a day trip to BW, Powder dependent...

Oh yeah, I forgot. Day trips are out his year.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hopefully the storm delivers. Seems Vail is pretty much relying on Mother nature to right things in the MWV. Still only two ttb runs at Cat on 1/14. 🤮

2Planker

I'm here either way.
Only question is BW vs the Cat. Need to "procure" a Day Tic

Have Comps for SR, but will prob hang on to those for later