• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

PAabe

From DC you can get to Massanutten or Bryce in about 2 hours but Vail definitely has the Baltimore and south central PA market cornered. A lot of people really don't like to drive and are not willing to drive more than 2 hours to the many other places that are within the 4-5 hour day trip-able range. I have never been to Massanutten or Bryce, their vertical is 1000 and 500, respectively, but they do not appear to be as large as the snow time areas.

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

massanutten is weak although you do get 1000 vert, but the trail count is limited.

The people in DC who want to own a vacation home "locally" at a ski area do so at Wisp or 7 Springs. Whitetail does have some condos, but nothing compared to Wisp or 7s.

jimmywilson69

LOL I'm really only willing to drive 4-5 miles for a day trip :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I really have missed going to VT or out west this year though... Especially now that I'm on the DL :(

PAabe

5 hours is definitely a bit far now that I think about it, past 4 is stretching it lol. 5 hours is a hike but it seems that some people do in fact do it.

Indy pass looking more and more line a great option for the entire east coast market - lots of great places that are just a bit farther drive, and some fantastic places up north (and down south!) that would be great for a multi-day trip. Supposing a 4 1/2 hour limit there are 9 day-trippable places for me; Epic only gets you snow time+jf/bb+hunter, and hunter is the only one of those approaching what one could call large. At $259 or local pass+$169 the price is right, too. Not to mention the dang vibe at the indy places. However, it seems most would definitely be doing a lot more driving with Indy.

The folks over at dcski have really been hyping up the new and improved Timberline. That would be a great place to own some property, with Canaan Valley, Whitegrass, and Timberline all right next to each other (you can literally ski between the downhill areas via whitegrass), and indeed, I hear property value has been going through the roof there this year. That area is 3 hours from DC.

edit: there are actually 9 places within 4.5hr, not 7, very nice!

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

had a friend go to Timberline first week of January. They were at his brothers house at Deep Creek and Day tripped there. Said it was decent. 2 brand new lifts and a new lodge and tons of new snowmaking to supplement all of that natural snow they get out that way. Seems like its worth a visit if you are out that way.

Cobbold

P
5 hours is definitely a bit far now that I think about it, past 4 is stretching it lol. 5 hours is a hike but it seems that some people do in fact do it.

Indy pass looking more and more line a great option for the entire east coast market - lots of great places that are just a bit farther drive, and some fantastic places up north (and down south!) that would be great for a multi-day trip. Supposing a 4 1/2 hour limit there are 7 day-trippable places for me; Epic only gets you snow time+jf/bb+hunter, and hunter is the only one of those approaching what one could call large. At $259 or local pass+$169 the price is right, too. However, it seems most would definitely be doing a lot more driving with Indy.

The folks over at dcski have really been hyping up the new and improved Timberline. That would be a great place to own some property, with Canaan Valley, Whitegrass, and Timberline all right next to each other (if you have passes for 2-3 you can literally ski between them), and indeed, I hear property value has been going through the roof there this year. That area is 3 hours from DC.
wait till vail buys perfect north out, this board will go crazy

kingslug

I'll be waking up at 3AM saturday morning for Gore. Last season we would drive 5 hours to Stowe on Friday..after my 1.5 hour commute..then get up for the 7:30 chair. Almost every weekend..This will happen again next season..By the end of the season..I'm shot...then bike season starts..3 hours to the track near Oneonta...
Now I'm shot all the time...

Smellytele

I'll be waking up at 3AM saturday morning for Gore. Last season we would drive 5 hours to Stowe on Friday..after my 1.5 hour commute..then get up for the 7:30 chair. Almost every weekend..This will happen again next season..By the end of the season..I'm shot...then bike season starts..3 hours to the track near Oneonta...
oh to be young...

cdskier

Not quite sure how I will go back to doing the weekly 5 hour drive to VT next year. So incredibly relaxing not dealing with that this year.

Edd

Hit Attitash for the first time this season. Never one of my favorite hills but today was damn good. Plenty of nice ungroomed snow and trees also. Not running the Yankee during NH vacation week, 🙄

Smellytele

Hit Attitash for the first time this season. Never one of my favorite hills but today was damn good. Plenty of nice ungroomed snow and trees also. Not running the Yankee during NH vacation week, 🙄
Drive by there on my way back from ice climbing in Crawford notch. Bear peak parking lot looked pretty full but the triple at attitash proper had no line.
skied 2 days at Black this week on the Indy pass which were a lot of fun. Heading to mt abram tomorrow for throw back Thursday. $19.50!

Reactions: Edd

KustyTheKlown

i know its weird, but i like the drive, and particularly like the middle of the night drive. i listen to my pods and it all feels very zen. makin the best of what is required to ski where i want to ski. i did have a moment after going bell to bell at sugarbush last saturday where i wished i was going back to a comfy house with a hot tub and leg messager (we got this and we love it) instead of a grimy days inn on route 7.

thebigo

How was the line at bear? Wildcat was ski on Monday and today. Bear line was brutal last weekend, maze was full Tuesday with the yankee closed. Never a line for the triple midweek, max a few minutes on weekends with yankee open.

The snow pack in the valley is so good right now it is hard for the skiing to be anything but damn good. Even wilfreds was good last weekend. Snow in the woods at the cat is several feet deep but there are rocks showing on polecat. Big fat flakes starting to accumulate again today when we left at 3:00.

Attitash tuesday:

20210223_102931.jpg

Wilfreds last weekend:

20210220_093524.jpg20210220_093211.jpg

Last edited:

Edd

How was the line at bear? Wildcat was ski on Monday and today. Bear line was brutal last weekend, maze was full Tuesday with the yankee closed. Never a line for the triple midweek, max a few minutes on weekends with yankee open.

The snow pack in the valley is so good right now it is hard for the skiing to be anything but damn good. Even wilfreds was good last weekend. Snow in the woods at the cat is several feet deep but there are rocks showing on polecat. Big fat flakes starting to accumulate again today when we left at 3:00.

Attitash tuesday:

View attachment 50598

Wilfreds last weekend:

View attachment 50599View attachment 50600
Line at Bear was about 10 minutes at 9am and about 2 minutes by 10:30. At that point we went over to 15 minute lines at the Summit Triple which got down to 5 minutes by 1 or so.