• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

deadheadskier

Staff member
Vail really hasn't invested shit I'm New England thus far.

What have they done?

Put a parking lot in at Stowe is about it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Attitash is due for some love but it was as well during Peaks and they didn't do anything. Crotched and Wildcat I don't see any needs terribly pressing. A base lodge at Crotched perhaps but that's on a wish list.
Wildcat needs another major investment in snowmaking

Crotched doesn't need a new lodge. While it's about the ugliest base lodge in New England, it's also meets the demands of the traffic there very well. It's very well laid out, just ugly.

Cobbold

What have they done?

They did some restaurant remodeling at okemo and were about to do major stuff at okemo as well, due to COVID 19; push all plans back 5 years, assuming vail survives this, worried a lot places will go belly up, tough times.

FBGM

If any new lodge goes in on the east it will be the same as one out west. They copy the same blueprint for many of their new lodges.

Cobbold

Wildcat needs another major investment in snowmaking

Crotched doesn't need a new lodge. While it's about the ugliest base lodge in New England, it's also meets the demands of the traffic there very well. It's very well laid out, just ugly.
Attitash seems to have an unfinished feel to it, that’s just me, when they bought their urban areas in the Midwest they spent millions at each place to bring it up their standards, over time I think they will upgrade a lot of the smaller places with new lifts,lodges etc.

icecoast1

What have they done?

To be fair, most of their northeast properties weren't even bought until last fall, they had one winter to get their feet under them and had plans to invest in capital projects until the pandemic hit. I dislike vail as much as the next guy but getting on them for not investing money seems a bit unfair considering the circumstances

Cobbold

Verdict is out if they put anything into any of their NH properties or any of their NE properties. "they're feeder hills for our Western mountains, they don't need anything"
Give vail time, they have a lot of resorts to upgrade and COVID 19 set them back five years, December 10 when vail does an earnings report, they usually announce next years capital spending plans, do They just redo okemo, Breckenridge, keystone projects or add to it?

Cobbold

If any new lodge goes in on the east it will be the same as one out west. They copy the same blueprint for many of their new lodges.
My guess Mt snow gets a new base lodge at some point, okemo was going to get a remodeled one with addition, wonder what happens to that., I like the old base lodge at Mt snow, but all the Mt snow employees say it doesn’t work with the amount of skiers they get.

drjeff

Isn't the reservation open at 3pm? Or was it 2pm?

So there's a bit of a rush right around that time?
The virtual "waiting room" opens at 3PM EST (1PM MST) and the actual reservation room opens at 4PM EST (2PM MST)

deadheadskier

Staff member
To be fair, most of their northeast properties weren't even bought until last fall, they had one winter to get their feet under them and had plans to invest in capital projects until the pandemic hit. I dislike vail as much as the next guy but getting on them for not investing money seems a bit unfair considering the circumstances
Well I think last year was what? Year three for Stowe? Hadn't really announced anything big planned there. They definitely need a lift upgrade on the Forerunner side.

They did announce the Okemo lift upgrades.

As a NH skier, my greatest interests are:

1. New HSQ Summit chair at Attitash
2. Improved snowmaking at Wildcat. Air/pumping capacity is still inadequate for early season terrain expansion.
3. Sunapee west bowl expansion

I recognize it will be several years because of Covid before anything major happens. Really surprising their stock is still doing well all things considered

Cobbold

I
like vail, like mr. Katz, not sure why the complaints, like alterra also, like the Indy pass, like where skiing is headed, people are so negative, guess people aren’t happen unless they can complain about something, does any one really what to go back to a 2k season pass that’s only good at one mountain, I am so glad vail changed skiing.

Cobbold

T
Well I think last year was what? Year three for Stowe? Hadn't really announced anything big planned there. They definitely need a lift upgrade on the Forerunner side.

2. Improved snowmaking at Wildcat. Air/pumping capacity is still inadequate for early season terrain expansion.

I recognize it will be several years because of Covid before anything major happens. Really surprising their stock is still doing well all things considered
The market looks ahead not where you are or have been, the market sees growth ahead For vail. I would like new spending at attitash and wildcat also, does wildcat have water issues? Do you think vail will expand ski acreage at attitash? The west bowl expansion at Sunapee is needed, wonder if that gets delayed due to gm bartels leaving Sunapee for Mt snow?

icecoast1

I

like vail, like mr. Katz, not sure why the complaints, like alterra also, like the Indy pass, like where skiing is headed, people are so negative, guess people aren’t happen unless they can complain about something, does any one really what to go back to a 2k season pass that’s only good at one mountain, I am so glad vail changed skiing.

My season pass price doubled when peak passes disappeared. It is true that now I would have access to many more areas if I buy an epic pass, but I have no plans on ever going to any of vails properties out west

Cobbold

My season pass price doubled when peak passes disappeared. It is true that now I would have access to many more areas if I buy an epic pass, but I have no plans on ever going to any of vails properties out west
Explain how vails prices are twice the price of peaks

EPB

How? Best guess is you don't fit into the 30-65 age bracket or whatever "full price adult" is these days.

EPB

Before COVID, I would have been very surprised if the summit triple at Attitash weren't addressed next summer. It's unbecoming of a "Vail Resort". Given the insane lines I've seen posted online at the main base at Mt. Snow, I would have been surprised if a Carinthia 6-pack with Carinthia going to Sunbrook (or just a new Sunbrook) weren't a 1-2 year from now event, too. There was a post on liftblog saying that Vail either got or re-applied for West Bowl approval (can't remember which) in the last few weeks. Doesn't mean its imminent per se.

Other than Stowe, I don't think Vail has done anything to show they're not serious about upgrading their east coast resorts. Stowe is also in pretty good shape in the grand scheme of things, too (on mountain; by east coast standards). That said, I wouldn't predict much of anything happening in the next 5 years, to your point.