• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Smellytele

Totally with you on this approach. I don't think there are a ton of conclusions that can be drawn from this season other than how they handle the basics. This year is just going to be too abnormal.
Bad Communication has nothing to do with what is going on covid wise. It is a basic. It also has nothing to do with them only owning the NE mtns for little over a year.

Cobbold

hopefully they yet each resort in the northeast do their own snow report, Mt snows was terrific, not sure why you would end that, but oh well, I guess the epic brand is greater than each Mtn brand.
Bad Communication has nothing to do with what is going on covid wise. It is a basic. It also has nothing to do with them only owning the NE mtns for little over a ye

spiderpig

Of the areas that I normally visit, they seem to do some level of snow reporting/local content at Mount Snow, Hunter, and Stowe. Okemo gets almost all corporate content, except on the OkemoConditions twitter page. Seems like that lack of communication carries over into NH. I think Wildcat would have been open on their original opening day if not for the high temps in the prior days, since that would have made them first to open in the northeast, if I remember correctly. I am trying to cut them slack due to covid, but they did a bad job with the snowmaking plan at Okemo, too. Mount Snow seems to be in good shape comparatively.

drjeff

hopefully they yet each resort in the northeast do their own snow report, Mt snows was terrific, not sure why you would end that, but oh well, I guess the epic brand is greater than each Mtn brand.

I doubt that Mount Snow's will be anything but the standard Vail corporate one anymore.

The former communications director, whom Vail chose to hire and make some sort of Eastern Communications Director for Vail Resorts, if I am not mistaken based on his social media feed, has moved with his family to the Portland, ME area this Fall.

Heck, I'd just be happy with a little icon on the lift/trail report page that shows what trails they're making snow on.

Unfortunately it appears that long gone are the days where they had weekly video reports as well as blogs by the GM and various other staff members and a snow report that actually had some insight as to where they're making snow and what the next trails to receive snowmaking will be

kingslug

Guess we just look at the weather report each day..even though it is usually for the town and not a mountain report, and make our own assumptions. I gave up with relying on ski resorts to tell me anything. Even open and closed trails reports are sketchy.
Once in a while I get a "will it be icy?" oh I don't know..it rained for 2 days and now it 12 degrees..it might be..who knows.

thebigo

Latest Euro lays down 17'' in the notch this weekend. NWS showing 6 - 8". Very interested to see if a foot of fresh would be enough for them to deviate from their plan?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-03 131620.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-03 131620.png
    20 KB · Views: 4

SLyardsale

I doubt that Mount Snow's will be anything but the standard Vail corporate one anymore.

The former communications director, whom Vail chose to hire and make some sort of Eastern Communications Director for Vail Resorts, if I am not mistaken based on his social media feed, has moved with his family to the Portland, ME area this Fall.

Heck, I'd just be happy with a little icon on the lift/trail report page that shows what trails they're making snow on.

Unfortunately it appears that long gone are the days where they had weekly video reports as well as blogs by the GM and various other staff members and a snow report that actually had some insight as to where they're making snow and what the next trails to receive snowmaking will be
Then why on earth would you cut them slack. Covid is an excuse for shitty communications? That does seem the norm among various businesses, however. "Yeah, our service sucks because of Covid".

Question - does Tracy take phone calls? Does she answer emails?

spiderpig

Then why on earth would you cut them slack. Covid is an excuse for shitty communications? That does seem the norm among various businesses, however. "Yeah, our service sucks because of Covid".

Question - does Tracy take phone calls? Does she answer emails?
I'm guessing "cut them slack" is a response to me. I am referring to their terrain, not the communications.

FBGM

Anything Vail does to Mount Snow is for the better. They started by peeing on that dumpster fire and now it’s 2x better.

snoseek

Has anyone been keeping an eye on the wildcat cam? I know it was warm today but yesterday seemed cold enough to blow. Are they even blowing this week? I know they probably want good temps as water is limited....

If snow comes in like they are hinting this weekend and they don't open in nh somewhere I'll be puzzled.

thebigo

Has anyone been keeping an eye on the wildcat cam? I know it was warm today but yesterday seemed cold enough to blow. Are they even blowing this week? I know they probably want good temps as water is limited....

If snow comes in like they are hinting this weekend and they don't open in nh somewhere I'll be puzzled.
A Winter Storm Watch has been issued for most of the state this weekend. The National Weather Service is now calling for 12 - 18'' at the cat this weekend. This is not the high end estimate, it is the likely event total snowfall. Those of us who have been skiing wildcat our entire life, understand the microclimate in the notch during marginal temperature storms and can safely assume the cat will over preform.

To my knowledge Wildcat is not currently water limited. I checked the webcam more times today than I care to admit and saw no signs of snowmaking. I am not in the valley, I do not know if it is cold enough to blow or if they were blowing elsewhere on the mountain, you cannot see most of polecat on the webcam. I can tell you that the Attitash webcam shows bare ground, while the two nearest competitors are open. I will be in the valley either late tomorrow or early saturday and plan to report back.