• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

BenedictGomez

Not sure that works because of COVID 19 affecting earnings,

Yes! This is the kicker. Ironically, COVID19 is likely going to allow Vail to "escape" any apples-to-apples accounting measure. I think anyway. I guarantee Vail's accounting department & CFO are currently big bathing & shoehorning whatever the worst financials they have into 2020 before the page turns to 2021. It will buy them some time, but eventually the grim reaper of debt will win.

thebigo

Until they don't open your mountain.
That is the problem. Vail is like buying a weed whacker at Walmart. Sure it is cheap and sure there is one on every corner but the second something breaks, you need a part, or have a question - you are screwed. Good thing is you only make the mistake once and pay an extra couple hundred for the replacement at the tractor dealer.

Problem is the competition cannot just go and open another ski mountain. $475 unlimited to four major mountains in nh is far too cheap. They need to cut corners somewhere and it appears to be customer service and season length. I get the 'you do not need to buy a pass' argument but we are a skiing family, that is what we do and I am not about to take up ice skating or snowmobiling. Living where we do, and given our current family dynamic, there are no great alternatives to the terrain and accessibility offered by vail.

Smellytele

That is the problem. Vail is like buying a weed whacker at Walmart. Sure it is cheap and sure there is one on every corner but the second something breaks, you need a part, or have a question - you are screwed. Good thing is you only make the mistake once and pay an extra couple hundred for the replacement at the tractor dealer.

Problem is the competition cannot just go and open another ski mountain. $475 unlimited to four major mountains in nh is far too cheap. They need to cut corners somewhere and it appears to be customer service and season length. I get the 'you do not need to buy a pass' argument but we are a skiing family, that is what we do and I am not about to take up ice skating or snowmobiling. Living where we do, and given our current family dynamic, there are no great alternatives to the terrain and accessibility offered by vail.
And maybe someday they will open..,

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Right now reservations are wide open (core season) let's see what happens when the gates are open to the general population! And us season passholders can't cancel our passes anymore. I think weekends will be the problem, weekdays will be more crowed too.

abc

Doesn't change the price but does change its value.
Value is subjective, it varies depending on individual circumstance.

Price is price. It doesn't change.

Don't confuse value with price.

Epic pass is low in price. That's a fact.

Whether that's good value or not, it's up to the individual to decide. I wouldn't buy an Epic pass for 20/21 had it not for the credit I had carried over from 19/20. Nor am I asking for a refund even though I could qualify for one, because I want to ski the Vail mountains this season. And the price is just about justifiable, and better than any alternatives I can find.

Just like Walmart drives down price (and quality, some argue) of goods in some markets, Vail does pretty much the same. But on the other hand, there're markets where competition give them a run for their money. It depends whether you're in a position to change market or not. For those who can't, that's unfortunate.

Last edited:

thebigo

Unfortunately, this is a serious question.

How do you you know if they are going to open a mountain? What did they do in Vermont?

Do they announce it on the website? Social media? Or do you have to constantly check the epic waiting room?

Cobbold

Yes! This is the kicker. Ironically, COVID19 is likely going to allow Vail to "escape" any apples-to-apples accounting measure. I think anyway. I guarantee Vail's accounting department & CFO are currently big bathing & shoehorning whatever the worst financials they have into 2020 before the page turns to 2021. It will buy them some time, but eventually the grim reaper of debt will win.if you think vail will coll

Cobbold

If you think vail will collapse do you have the same opinion that alterra also collapses?

FBGM

If you think vail will collapse do you have the same opinion that alterra also collapses?
I hope Vail collapses. Or maybe more of a sell off and spit up or something. And they very well could. They have extended themselves quite a bit. A correction and shake up in the ski business might not be the worst thing ever.

drjeff

Unfortunately, this is a serious question.

How do you you know if they are going to open a mountain? What did they do in Vermont?

Do they announce it on the website? Social media? Or do you have to constantly check the epic waiting room?
It was all of the above for Mount Snow.

Their communications about conditions, operations, and openings, frankly is atrocious, and inexcusable.

For what I used to be able to look up in about 30 seconds on the Mount Snow main web page about conditions and even "whats up next" in early season snowmaking plans, I'm now having to rely on texts to my friends who live up permanently at the mountain to find out, if either myself or a member of my family aren't up at our condo and on the hill.

Heck, even when I'm at my condo, while I can often visually see more than the snowreport says, there's still aboit 1/3rd of the terrain that I can't see unless I am on the hill myself.

thebigo

My older daughter and i skied cranmore today. Had a good time, then went into town and refreshed her gear. We now plan to sit here for a week waiting for vail to give a shit about new hampshire.

Attachments

• 20201206_093819.jpg
    20201206_093819.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Gforce

It was only half of that back in September.

Not that much more even now.
I did not see the off season pass prices that low, $500? wow... really. we will see what happens.
Maybe in the East we get a good winter and the restrictions loosen up then it would be a great value. Right now it's still all sketchy and I'd say the jury is out.