• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

cdskier

In case you forgot, Stowe, okemo, Mt snow are in Vermont! It's inaccessible for anyone but Vermonters.

Hyperbole much? Not saying everyone can meet the requirements, but there certainly are people that aren't Vermonters that can still legitimately make it to VT resorts this season.

abc

D
Hyperbole much? Not saying everyone can meet the requirements, but there certainly are people that aren't Vermonters that can still legitimately make it to VT resorts this season.
Hyperbole? Let's do the math:

Quarantine for 2 weeks, day trip on the weekend. Home for 2 weeks, no going out to satisfy the quarantine rules. How many days have you gotten since the beginning of the season? And how many days will you get?

Sure, there're people who blatantly ignore the rules. Most others bend it a little. 2 weeks at home state going out shopping, meeting extended family members, one restaurant visit per month. Safe enough? It's still only 1 day every 2 weeks!

The only legal way to do Vermont for more than that is to stay up there and not leaving VT. Or just pretend the rule doesn't apply. Take your pick.

Why do you think Hunter is so busy while Mt Snow is not? Is it because Hunter has better skiing?;)

Sure, given Vail won't refund people's pass, the most expedient thing to do IS ignore the rules.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Didn’t les make the canyon lift at big K and open up and cut the superstar trails. canyon is terrible. sr was not a sleepy hill prior to les. They had base condos and were expanding. Sure he made it a major destination, but really every trail feels the same. he ruined the ski experience. I don’t care how many days a year he skied he doesn’t understand skiers. Great groomers but can boring as hell also. When the snow is good the hill can ski very well though. They used to have a bunch of classic New England terrain. Gone. White heat is a travesty. it kills me to think of the terrain he could have created on that hill.
Canyon Quad was one of the last things that Pres and SKI did. Pres also did the Skyeship Replacement and (I think) did Rams Head before they sold to LBO.

Les and ASC built the hotel, added K-1, boosted the snowmaking (in exchange for giving up Parker's Gore and abandoning part of Sunrise), bought Pico, and started the Killington/Pico Connection.

True that SKI/Pres Smith DID own Sunday River when they sent Les out there to run it. True that they had started some work, but one has to give Les pretty much all of the credit.

I've skied probably 10-15 days total at Sunday River. I like it for what it is. I went there for the Sunday River experience--beautiful Western Maine skiing on well-groomed trails with good snowmaking. I don't think of Sunday River for amazing glade skiing or "narrow" trails. I don't think of Sunday River as a posh resort, but a solid area that consistently delivers. I remember the first time I skied there in 2001 or so and was completely blown away. Growing up about 90 minutes west, and with cable that included Maine, NH, and some other New England stations, I did see A LOT of buzz about Sunday River and its marketing.

You can't dismiss what he did to the industry. He made Sunday River a middle-class destination with, initially, more affordable accommodations before building up. He used expansions as a marketing tool. Like Killington, he understood that snowmaking WAS the product, especially in an area that does not get a ton of snow. He made ego terrain and just made Sunday River ahead of its time.

ASC: one has to keep in perspective the times. It was the go-go 90's. Les WAS the big deal. He was able to get (probably too much) capital. His first areas--Attitash, Sugarbush, and Cranmore saw well-thought out and much needed improvements that last even today. I do agree that ending the arms race with SKI and buying them was probably too much. Remember also that he went public and Wall Street is, um, Wall Street as Vail will tell you.

When I think skiing in the 1990's, I have to think of Sunday River and then ASC. It just was the deal.

cdskier

D

Hyperbole? Let's do the math:

Quarantine for 2 weeks, day trip on the weekend. Home for 2 weeks, no going out to satisfy the quarantine rules. How many days have you gotten since the beginning of the season? And how many days will you get?
So you're saying it is possible. That's entirely different than "inaccessible". You can also cut that 2 weeks down to 1 week with COVID tests. Or like you said, stay in VT for an extended period of time. For people that can work remotely and don't have kids or have kids doing virtual schooling, this is a very viable option.

There's plenty of people on this forum that don't live in VT, are following the rules, and still are skiing in VT. So yes, saying VT is "inaccessible for anyone but Vermonters" is absolutely hyperbole. (There's also some that aren't following the rules, but that's not the route I'm advocating).

abc

There's plenty of people on this forum that don't live in VT, are following the rules, and still are skiing in VT.
now THAT is hyperbole!

next, you’ll be calling 2nd home owners Vermonters too!

Why do you think Hunter is sold out while Mt Snow is not? Is it because Hunter has better skiing?;)

Last edited:

ScottySkis

now THAT is hyperbole!

Why do you think Hunter is sold out while Mt Snow is not? Is it because Hunter has better skiing?;)
Yes for best ski and snowboard er it does beat Mountain snow

Jersey Skier

Every person I know who owns a condo in VT bends, ignores or breaks the rules to ski VT this season. I was speaking to a local deli owner about skiing since I had just done my first day at Hunter. He mentioned how many families stop by every Friday to load up with food for their weekend trip to VT.

I feel ripped off after buying an Epic pass but only being able to ski Hunter. If I owned a place in VT I'm sure I would break the rules too. That's just too much investment to ignore.

FBGM

In other Vail hate news, park city ski patrol Union contract ended in November and I guess current notations are going poor. I hope they all walk out.

Last edited:

slatham

If you quarantine (7 days/negative test or 14 days) and then go to VT, you don't break your VT quarantine by simply crossing state lines to go home. You break it if you have to go to work or school or visit people or doctors visit or shopping etc etc. Not saying this is easy, but you can leave VT, not break quarantine, and then go back. Again, lots of people can't do this. But you only have to "re-quarantine" of you break quarantine.

Now going to the local deli to stock up for your trip back to VT is definitely a no no......

cdskier

now THAT is hyperbole!

Sorry...was busy out playing in the powder with all the people VT resorts are supposedly inaccessible to.

Unless you know the capacity Vail is using at each resort, comparing the two is irrelevant. With all lifts running, Mt Snow has about 50% more uphill capacity than Hunter. And Mt Snow (with the exception of Wind Holds today) has nearly every lift running. Meanwhile Hunter still hasn't opened Hunter West so loses a decent chunk of capacity there.

So Hunter could have a capacity of say 5000 reservations per day while Mt Snow could have a limit of 7500 people per day. Just because Hunter sells all 5000 and Mt Snow doesn't sell out all 7500 doesn't mean more people are going to Hunter because they can't go to VT. Hunter has been crowded on weekends even pre-COVID. A lot of people going there on a weekend isn't a new phenomenon. In terms of other Epic resorts in VT, Stowe is sold out. I somehow doubt it is only Vermonters there. Okemo isn't sold out, but again, they likely have a larger reservation capacity than Hunter (their uphill capacity is normally 84% higher than Hunter's if I did the math right so again having more reservations allowed there makes sense).

PS...why would I call 2nd home owners Vermonters? That makes absolutely no sense. Instead they're a perfect example of non-Vermonters that the resorts are not inaccessible to (the number of wifi signals and number of out of state people staying here in my condo complex midweek instead of going home is much higher than what you'd usually see as an example).

thebigo

To my knowledge none of the four nh properties have sold out a single day this year. Today the line for the bear quad ran back to the triple and curled uphill. The abenaki and Kachina lifts were closed.

Yesterday the line at wildcat ran into the snowcat line at one point and shit was flowing out of the porta john. The bobcat was closed.

I have no idea how they calculate capacity but if neither day this weekend were sold out, they are never going to sell out.

Last edited:

Edd

To my knowledge none of the four nh properties have sold out a single day this year. Today the line for the bear quad ran back to the triple and curled uphill. The abenaki and Kachina lifts were closed.

Yesterday the line at wildcat ran into the snowcat line at one point and shit was flowing out of the porta john. The bobcat was closed.

I have no idea how they calculate capacity but if neither day this weekend were sold out, they are never going to sell out.
Heard a rumor that the Bobcat won’t be up anytime soon. With the HSQ on wind hold this morning the Tomcat lines looked longer than I’ve ever seen.

drjeff

Due to less queue lanes because of the social distancing lanes, and more groups per lane, due to not being able to pair unrelated groups up and fill the chair to capacity, on the surface, the lines are most likely going to be longer in length than in a normal year. More groups and less lanes will do that.

Heck, I saw numerous lines at Mount Snow today that length wise were far greater than I have seen in my 40yrs of skiing here.

The outer parking lots though, weren't close to being full, and there are no tour busses here, which are two things usually associated with BIG lines in the past.

I don't know what their target max capacity number is. We were sold out this weekend here today. It's crowded, no doubt about that. The parking lots though aren't completely filled as they usually would be probably a handful of days a season.

This season is so messed up!!

abc

was busy out playing in the powder with all the people VT resorts are supposedly inaccessible to.
Yeah, eastern "powder"!:rolleyes:

(Got a first hand report from my host in VT how "powdery" the snow is today)

He called me to tell me there's no power in the house I would have been staying... (had he not caught me 15 minutes into my drive).

Smellytele

He called me to tell me there's no power in the house I would have been staying... (had he not caught me 15 minutes into my drive).
Maybe so vt didn’t have powder yesterday but no vt did.

Edd

I’ve been skiing solo more than usual this year. It’d be nice if there was a singles line specifically for people that don’t mind getting paired with another single. It’d speed things up a bit.

cdskier

Not sure why you even post on a forum focused on the northeast with how picky you are about conditions here...Today was great out. I can't speak for everywhere in VT, but here in the MRV area the backend snow has been very enjoyable and definitely a fun type of powder. It wasn't super-light blower pow, but so what? It also wasn't the heavier dense snow that fell on the front end of the storm.

139952325_5593294564029251_5543562936630473009_o.jpg