• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
The North side has always seemed a little strange to me. The glades need tons of snow to open up..and some cleaning out. Its as if they just put it on the map to say they have them. Twilight looks like it will never get any attention. I skied it after the storm, a little tricky towards the bottom. Another trail that just looks like they put it there for no reason. The area has great potential, if they want. They put a 6 pack in and you ride it alone most of the time. People go back there do a few runs and split.
I said it from the beginning, if they only had the lift go up to just below the 6 pk, you would off been able to keep White Cloud AND you would of been able to get to both sides of the Mtn without having to go down the Belt to get back. Total waste.

kingslug

When winds knocked out the front side 6 I had just came back from the north. And couldn't get back from the triple. So yes, its not designed very well. But at least its a place to escape crowds.

jimmywilson69

Didn't they initially intend for that area to be "intermediate" but they had at least 1 if not 2 fatalities back there, right? so if they were thinking it was an intermediate area that is likely why Peaks put a 6 instead of a 4 in. Also I'm assuming with the parking lot it was meant to take pressure off of the front.

FBGM

Didn't they initially intend for that area to be "intermediate" but they had at least 1 if not 2 fatalities back there, right? so if they were thinking it was an intermediate area that is likely why Peaks put a 6 instead of a 4 in. Also I'm assuming with the parking lot it was meant to take pressure off of the front.
It was designed by that idiot guy from Peaks that thought he knew everything. Made a mess of that entire new side. Vail fired him or he left before they swung the ax cuz he knew it was coming.

Funky_Catskills

The North side has always seemed a little strange to me. The glades need tons of snow to open up..and some cleaning out. Its as if they just put it on the map to say they have them. Twilight looks like it will never get any attention. I skied it after the storm, a little tricky towards the bottom. Another trail that just looks like they put it there for no reason. The area has great potential, if they want. They put a 6 pack in and you ride it alone most of the time. People go back there do a few runs and split.
Once they put a lodge in there it will make more sense..

Funky_Catskills

It was designed by that idiot guy from Peaks that thought he knew everything. Made a mess of that entire new side. Vail fired him or he left before they swung the ax cuz he knew it was coming.
Meanwhile - I love the terrain and appreciate his work..

Old Duderino

Vail NE pass holder here. Not posting to rant about VR, I'm just glad I could get a pass at all that I could get enough days on to get a good value from on my local hills during a covid winter. I'm in the DC area so my local hills are the former sno time resorts, mainly Whitetail and Roundtop.

What I'm wondering about is if this is the year to get Stowe off of my eastern skiing bucket list? While it would be good to know if current conditions are better/worse/the same as could be expected this time of year I'm wondering if the crowd situation is better/worse/the same as could be expected in a normal non-covid winter? I'm thinking I could do a drive up on a Saturday to ski Sunday through Tuesday to avoid the worst of the weekend crowds (maybe a day at Smuggs sandwiched between 2 at Stowe?) so if anyone has any feedback on VT covid related travel restrictions that would be helpful. TIA.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Vail NE pass holder here. Not posting to rant about VR, I'm just glad I could get a pass at all that I could get enough days on to get a good value from on my local hills during a covid winter. I'm in the DC area so my local hills are the former sno time resorts, mainly Whitetail and Roundtop.

What I'm wondering about is if this is the year to get Stowe off of my eastern skiing bucket list? While it would be good to know if current conditions are better/worse/the same as could be expected this time of year I'm wondering if the crowd situation is better/worse/the same as could be expected in a normal non-covid winter? I'm thinking I could do a drive up on a Saturday to ski Sunday through Tuesday to avoid the worst of the weekend crowds (maybe a day at Smuggs sandwiched between 2 at Stowe?) so if anyone has any feedback on VT covid related travel restrictions that would be helpful. TIA.

I'd say that's a fine plan. I'd avoid Smuggs on a weekend though. It's all double chairs. In normal times their weekend lines suck except for Madonna 2. So with Covid, I'd imagine they're pretty bad. Stowe on Sundays you should be fine. Start early on Mansfield side and ski Spruce middle of the day then back to Mansfield for the afternoon. Monday and Tuesday will be fine. So, I'd do Stowe Sunday, Smuggs Monday then back to Stowe Tuesday.

Love the handle

Attachments

• 368.jpg
    368.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 5

FBGM

Can’t believe I’m doing this but got some free Park Vail City passes and am going to ski this weekend there. Should be a complete junk show with biggest storm of the year coming in tonight and tomorrow. Things you do when chasing women around....

Mainer

Definitely wasn’t the normal midweek wildcat crowd today. Lots of new skis and clothes. Very crowded for a Friday. Fun skiing, support your local ski techs. Can’t wait for this pandemic to end and people are back to their normal places. They were working on bobcat today, hopefully soon. Whats the over under on an April season at the cat this year?

thebigo

Definitely wasn’t the normal midweek wildcat crowd today. Lots of new skis and clothes. Very crowded for a Friday. Fun skiing, support your local ski techs. Can’t wait for this pandemic to end and people are back to their normal places. They were working on bobcat today, hopefully soon. Whats the over under on an April season at the cat this year?
Late season is the elephant in the room. If they close the cat early with ample coverage, it will dwarf every pre Christmas failure.

Attitash appeared to be burying wandering today on webcam, not sure about additional terrain off the yankee or the park. Will be there in the morning.

deadheadskier

Staff member
April 11th is the last day so I'm told.

I believe the latest Vail is going in the East this year is 4/18 at Stowe.