• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

icecoast1

Who is cranky? Just stating facts. You are an outlier and your response was expected. We already know you are a Vail fanboy.

I don't care about that. It makes it even worse that K isn't owned by Alterra but allows them to dictate policy like that. Another strike against VT next season!
K did away with the reservations during the week, except holidays. Now its only weekends only I think. At least while most of the terrain is open

Dickc

Depends, if they come out this COVID 19 in decent shape, some regional players or feeder mtns may be ready to cash it in, I think vail needs to add a feeder hill in ct, Rhode island maybe north of Boston.
I know the owners of Ski Bradford in Haverhill, Mass are looking to sell. They are in their 80's.

abc

Alterra didn't dictate anything to K or Powdr, it was up to them. I say this because at Loon, they put Ikon passholders on a reservation requirement but did not extend thst to their own season passholders. Sunday River and Sugarloaf, while also owned by Boyne did not. Big Sky, a big marque on Ikon IS requiring Ikon Pass reservations. So I highly doubt this was Alterra strong arming Powdr.
Sounds more like K bending over backward to please Alterra, in comparison with other IKON resorts.

But that seems only applies to early season. With its largest terrain in the northeast, K probably knows all along it will fair better in its ability to spread out skiers. With the quarantine requirement of VT, K is in a pretty good position to have a somewhat more "normal" season.

As a comparison between Alterra and Vail, anybody skiing Windham who can compare its lift line situation to Hunter?

Cobbold

I know the owners of Ski Bradford in Haverhill, Mass are looking to sell. They are in their 80's.
Bingo I think ski Bradford is perfect for vails model of feeder mtns, near a large urban area with lots of skiers.

JimG.

Staff member
Alterra didn't dictate anything to K or Powdr, it was up to them. I say this because at Loon, they put Ikon passholders on a reservation requirement but did not extend thst to their own season passholders. Sunday River and Sugarloaf, while also owned by Boyne did not. Big Sky, a big marque on Ikon IS requiring Ikon Pass reservations. So I highly doubt this was Alterra strong arming Powdr.
Wow! Even worse than I thought. So K decided to screw their own passholders all on their own?

You guys are putting nails in the VT coffin faster than a nail gun!

HowieT2

Who is cranky? Just stating facts. You are an outlier and your response was expected. We already know you are a Vail fanboy.

I don't care about that. It makes it even worse that K isn't owned by Alterra but allows them to dictate policy like that. Another strike against VT next season!
But the alterra owned vt resorts don’t have anything similar to killington. There are no reservation requirements and the local passes are ikon. So I don’t see why you would attribute killingtons policies to alterra when alterra itself doesn’t have the policies you have issue with.

HowieT2

Wow! Even worse than I thought. So K decided to screw their own passholders all on their own?

You guys are putting nails in the VT coffin faster than a nail gun!
It seems to me you’re issue is with killington in particular and not the other alterra owned by resorts.

Edd

This is Crotched’s snow report, unchanged for two days, at least. They got 4” this morning, which I only know because I’m here. I’ll never understand how they give zero fucks about this.

CROTCHED MOUNTAIN WEATHER FORECAST​

Hi Crotched Fans!
How did the nose feel when it wasn't covered?
LEFT OUT! Remember, properly worn masks are required at all times when loading, riding and unloading lifts as well as inside buildings and any time you may come within 6-feet of others. Please note, we are not accepting cash. Thanks for helping us all Be Safe, Together.
Make the most of your day and join us on the mountain; all trails are now OPEN! Conditions are great so grab your gear and get here!
Week ahead: Snowmaking will continue as temps permit with plans to build depth on Jupiter's, Pluto's, Meteor, Satellite Summit, Milky Way, Big Dipper, CM Park and Magnitude. Our crew has it covered but keep those snow dances going!
Don't forget, ALL lift tickets must be purchased online and pass holders must make a reservation. Thinking about joining us for Midnight Madness? Buy your tickets asap as supplies are limited! Remember, alcohol not purchased on site is not allowed anywhere on our property and alcohol purchased on site must be consumed in the designated areas. Ski & Ride responsibly.

thebigo

This is Crotched’s snow report, unchanged for two days, at least. They got 4” this morning, which I only know because I’m here. I’ll never understand how they give zero fucks about this.

Hi Crotched Fans!
LEFT OUT! Remember, properly worn masks are required at all times when loading, riding and unloading lifts as well as inside buildings and any time you may come within 6-feet of others. Please note, we are not accepting cash. Thanks for helping us all Be Safe, Together.
Make the most of your day and join us on the mountain; all trails are now OPEN! Conditions are great so grab your gear and get here!
Week ahead: Snowmaking will continue as temps permit with plans to build depth on Jupiter's, Pluto's, Meteor, Satellite Summit, Milky Way, Big Dipper, CM Park and Magnitude. Our crew has it covered but keep those snow dances going!
Don't forget, ALL lift tickets must be purchased online and pass holders must make a reservation. Thinking about joining us for Midnight Madness? Buy your tickets asap as supplies are limited! Remember, alcohol not purchased on site is not allowed anywhere on our property and alcohol purchased on site must be consumed in the designated areas. Ski & Ride responsibly.

Is solstice skiable/roped? Heading over this afternoon.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Pretty clear to me that Vail has already crapped the bed regarding pissing customers off.

They will soon learn about many in the NE going elsewhere. While part of my decision to ski in NY only was due to travel restrictions, I was also very displeased with how resorts that are part of megapasses basically screwed single mountain season passholders by throwing them in with megapass skiers. An example in my case is the ridiculous parking reservation systems. Season passholders at Killington treated no better than IKON holders. That's bullshit. Season passholders at K should have had priority making parking reservations. IKON holders get whatever is leftover. I don't care if there is plenty of parking midweek. The system disrespects the very skiers who commit to supporting a single hill. Those folks should and will go elsewhere if possible. Same applies to Vail.

So I decided to stay in NY this season and guess what? It's been an awesome season so far. So why would I bother to go to VT megapass resorts anymore? Totally their loss.
I hear you brother. POWDR wants to be a hog in terms of $$$$ and get both IKON and passholder money. They are pissing a lot of folks off with it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
As they should. Brighton (another Boyne resort) also implemented reservations for IKON passes. Why? Because IKON created TOO MUCH CROWDING and Boyne did not want to lose their passholders. I have no sympathy for IKON passholders as to this issue--if you want unlimited access then buy a season pass to a single mountain. Boyne did the right thing.

abc

Hi Crotched Fans!
Don't forget, ALL lift tickets must be purchased online and pass holders must make a reservation. Thinking about joining us for Midnight Madness? Buy your tickets asap as supplies are limited! ReThat's member, alcohol not purchased on site is not allowed anywhere on our property and alcohol purchased on site must be consumed in the designated areas. Ski & Ride responsibly.
That's pathetic!

A "ski" resort that doesn't even care about reporting 4" of new snow? That's about as indicative of Vail as a company! Yes or no?

I (vaguely now) remember a time when skiing is about...skiing! (or maybe it was just me?).

But when I look at the web site of Vail, it's a vacation destination "resort" where skiing is only a side show, or an afterthought! Kind of like a beach holiday, where you eat and drink, do some sightseeing and then an hour or two on the beach/slope?

I guess as I'm getting older, I too pay more attention to the comfort and enjoyment AFTER skiing. Still, if I'm going to a "SKI resort", my main focus will be SKIING! Stuff outside of skiing will not eclipse the skiing itself. I do occasionally take ski "vacations", typically to Europe (and lately to Japan). I nevertheless want to ski a fair amount!

Last edited:

1dog

skiing all alone is ( apparently) not a viable business. One can make the case 30% of the reason is regulation/legal/environmental overreach.
Its always been expensive. Huge cap outlays, land used to be cheap in. those areas. . . but any business investment expects a return - otherwise - no investment. Real estate has been the main driver for the past 40+ years. Thats also been regulated to death. ( yeah, I believe is some regs, but the extent to which they have been placed on development has drawn money to other less regulated vehicles - like tech)

I agree - we go to ski- mainly- but like most on here, I have family that does it because I do- but they need/want other attractions.

As for not reporting snow that's there - I'm ok with it because I don't like people as much as snow. A bit selfish in that way. Not an Epic holder but wish I was a shareholder of MTN since 2011 or 2015 or last April . . . .

2Planker

Looks like Vail has taken all the phones off the hook at Wildcat..
I worked there for many years so I have many direct #'s, and NOBODY is picking up on any line - Front Desk, Patrol, Ski School, Pub, Shop all not answering for 3-4 hours w/ No voicemail No nothing.....

Conway paper now has multiple Complaint Editorials from locals who have been w/ Tash/Cat for for 40+ years

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looks like Vail has taken all the phones off the hook at Wildcat..
I worked there for many years so I have many direct #'s, and NOBODY is picking up on any line - Front Desk, Patrol, Ski School, Pub, Shop all not answering for 3-4 hours w/ No voicemail No nothing.....

Conway paper now has multiple Complaint Editorials from locals who have been w/ Tash/Cat for for 40+ years
I think it is called progress. Or something like that. How is the stock price?

Mum skier

Hi Crotched Fans!
This morning I had to decide between Sunapee and Crotched. Seeing as there was no update on snow fall at Crotched I went to Sunapee even though it’s further and we go there a lot at weekends. But that website can’t be just Vails fault, at least the other eastern resort list the last 24, 48 and 7 day snowfall, surely it’s not hard to update your site once a day.

sunapee was great conditions. Busy for a week day but someone told me Wednesday is locals day. They have a lot more terrain open than even a couple of weeks ago. If only the slow north face triple were an express as the best steepest Quietest runs are off that chair.

Last edited: