• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

jaytrem

Peak clearly didn't do shit for lift maintenance. Vail has been dealing with crappy lifts at pretty much every property they bought from them, from Crested Butte on down.
Not the best choice for an example, since Peak never owned CB.

FBGM

Park City unionized ski patrollers left off bonus program at seasons end.

Think about that when deciding what pass to buy. The guys and girls busting their ass get shafted with bonus because they unionized.

Fuck Vail

snoseek

Think about that when deciding what pass to buy. The guys and girls busting their ass get shafted with bonus because they unionized.

Fuck Vail
I wonder how many of them move on over the summer. That's an awfully big area to run short on patrol and those guys do arguably the most important job out there.

icecoast1

Fuck Vail
One of the few mountain jobs that cant be replaced with foreigners. So they just do the next best thing as retribution

2Planker

Fuck Vail
We thought of unionizing 10-12 years ago @ SR, when Boyne cuts our benefits, and added 25% more days required to earn your pass.
Twenty five, 10 hour days for a $750 pass. Works out to $3/hour

thebigo

We're excited to announce the extension of the 2020/21 ski and ride season. It's our way of saying thank you to guests and pass holders for their continued support, following our safety protocols and helping us open and stay open this season. Wildcat will remain open until 4/18.

I dont know where they are going to get the snow but a step in the right direction.

icecoast1

Kudos to Vail for doing this. I don't like Vail, but it's a positive move....can't wait to see how some will spin this to fit the "Evil Empire" mentality.

It really was an obvious move to make. Think of how bad it would have looked if they closed early after the debacle they had at many eastern resorts this winter and then put their epic passes on sale and started asking for more of peoples money.

2Planker

As far as The Cat goes, April 18 IS early. They've been known to go till May, though not since 2015. But usually they're the last in NH

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It really was an obvious move to make. Think of how bad it would have looked if they closed early after the debacle they had at many eastern resorts this winter and then put their epic passes on sale and started asking for more of peoples money.

It seems Wildcat and Attitash are the ones with major problems. Everyone else did fine save for some isolated incidences as far as I know.

jaytrem

You forgot Hunter.

(And I don't know about other Vail mountains further south)
Whitetail was great yesterday. Everything seemed to be running smooth and they had a boat load of snow. No problem using my old Peak Dining Card or Peak gift card. They seem to have a history of closing a little early, Vail might actually be an improvement in that department for them. It remains to be seen. I get the feeling Snow Time took good care of their stuff, so Peak might not have a enough time to effect things either way.

abc

What happened at Hunter? Just the ski patrol shutdown for a few days?
They didn't make much snow on Hunter West (the advance terrain), or north.

(this may get a pass for mountains further north, where snow fall is "normally" abundant. But for the Cats, snowmaking is crucial. And Hunter "used to be" the king of snowmaking of the Cats)

Due to VT travel restriction, Hunter got a lot more skier visit, by the lower Hudson skiers. With Hunter west and north largely out of action, the terrain is significantly reduced. I don't know if they adjusted the capacity accordingly or not. But either way, the result is both unavailable reservation AND crowds.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

(this may get a pass for mountains further north, where snow fall is "normally" abundant. But for the Cats, snowmaking is crucial. And Hunter "used to be" the king of snowmaking of the Cats)

Due to VT travel restriction, Hunter got a lot more skier visit, by the lower Hudson skiers. With Hunter west and north largely out of action, the terrain is significantly reduced. I don't know if they adjusted the capacity accordingly or not. But either way, the result is both unavailable reservation AND crowds.

Ehhh... no one pushed hard with snowmaking, and that's not specific to Vail. Killington didn't blow on Conclusion and not on Ovation til mid-February. We'll add Vertigo in that list too but they did not blow on that last year either for unknown reasons. Stratton had not blown on a number of trails in the Sunbowl last I was there in mid-February. Sunday River left a few trails unblown too iirc.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Haven't had a complaint with Hunter the 9 days I have skied there this year - including November opening. One weekend they had more terrain open than I believe the ever have had open any previous year (it was impossible before they added North and glades). And lines have not been bad if you only ride KF lift other than early and late.

Ok one complaint - they should trim the brush on Westway

skiur

I didn't ski hunter this year but I remember a lot of bitching about hunter on here so they couldn't have done that good of a job......oh wait.... This is alpinezone.....may have been a decent year there!

abc

Ehhh... no one pushed hard with snowmaking, and that's not specific to Vail. Killington didn't blow on Conclusion and not on Ovation til mid-February. We'll add Vertigo in that list too but they did not blow on that last year either for unknown reasons. Stratton had not blown on a number of trails in the Sunbowl last I was there in mid-February. Sunday River left a few trails unblown too iirc.
But it isn't just a few trials. Unlike K in VT or Sunday River in ME, mountains in the Cats NEEDS snowmaking. Lot of snowmaking.

Put that next to the zero snowmaking of Wildcat and Attitash, it's pretty obvious Vail doesn't have a clue on how to run northeast mountains. Or worse, they know how it needs to be run but decided against it for the sake of saving pennies.

It's going to come back and haunt them. All those who couldn't get reservation at Hunter, or show up only with half the terrain open, probably won't be renewing their Epic pass.

Last edited: