• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
20% off passes is just nonsensical. Between the number of new participants this year, that price slash, and pent up demand I expect Vail Resorts to be a worse shitshow than this year.

It's just nuts. My buddy claims he waited 45 minutes on a Friday powder day at Stowe this season. Say the cabins were going up 1/3 full...even at full capacity a 15 minute wait on a Friday is ridiculous for a non-holiday northeast Friday. I can't think of any hill that could possibly get close to that kind of wait on a Friday in a normal season. Maybe the Loon gondola, or WaWa after 4pm, but that's all I got.

Last edited:

abc

Say the cabins were going up 1/3 full...even at full capacity a 15 minute wait on a Friday is ridiculous for a non-holiday northeast Friday.
But that’s probably got to do with WFH and remote school.

Weekend crowds will be more indicative though.

Last edited:

njdiver85

For the diehard skiers on this forum, 20% off is nonsensical in that it will bring more crowds and we as a group here don't mind paying some more (or a lot more) if it would bring us uncrowded runs with short wait times at the bottom. But the vast majority out there (that are not on this site 24/7), and even those considering buying a megapass for the first time, will jump on this and Vail will sell a lot more passes going into next season. And of course most of the diehards will still buy the pass anyway. Maybe the diehards buy Alterra and Indy as well, but Epic is cheap and most will buy it despite all the frustration it might bring. From Vail's perspective, that would be a win-win.

abc

we as a group here don't mind paying some more (or a lot more) if it would bring us uncrowded runs with short wait times at the bottom.
That's a really big "if"!

I don't believe pass price is a deterrent to crowding. So I'm not one of the "group" who wants to go back to the $1000 pass! There maybe a vocal few who expressed such a believe. I'm skeptical of such a hypothesis.

thetrailboss

Staff member
"Me and my troops have come in to take over your quaint little ski area."

m0417_ft_katz_a-8ab08bf0-ae87-4faa-808b-c8bfc0b46207.jpg

thebigo

I find it fitting that wildcat is getting, what may end of being, their largest storm of the year on what was supposed to be closing weekend. If only they realized that ski areas in NH need to make snow, they may have actually made their closing weekend.

Looking forward to taking some pictures early tomorrow morning when I drive by on my way to Sunday River.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I find it fitting that wildcat is getting, what may end of being, their largest storm of the year on what was supposed to be closing weekend. If only they realized that ski areas in NH need to make snow, they may have actually made their closing weekend.

Looking forward to taking some pictures early tomorrow morning when I drive by on my way to Sunday River.
I'm up in Berlin for work today. I'll be driving by in a few hours. Will be interesting to see how much has fallen.

It was looking grim yesterday driving by. Hard to believe they were even open last weekend.

dblskifanatic

That's a really big "if"!

I don't believe pass price is a deterrent to crowding. So I'm not one of the "group" who wants to go back to the $1000 pass! There maybe a vocal few who expressed such a believe. I'm skeptical of such a hypothesis.

I am with you on that! I akin to managing he days and a mix of passes to limit how long I wait in lines. For example, I would not ski Stowe, Mt Snow or Okemo on a holiday weekend. As in Colorado I would not ski Breck, Keystone or Vail on holiday weekends. It was already crazy when there were higher pass prices in NE.

snoseek

Looking at the forecast has me wanting to maybe ski this coming Thursday. 5 areas left, 4 on ikon, none on epic. Looks like I'll have to buy a ticket.

ctdubl07

It looks like an album cover for a German synth band. I bet they took a million pics and went with the most douche of the bunch.
Does anyone know if this is a current picture/ones used for the article?
Mr Katz makes such a point of talking about diversity being a newly realized concern of his and how to make the industry more inclusive and welcoming. Well he is clearly tone deaf and full of himself if he approved of that picture because it is the exact opposite of welcoming imagery. I really hope someone points this out to him as Im not sure he spending much time on this forum....