• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

elks

They just closed on 3 more resorts today: Seven Springs Mountain Resort, Hidden Valley Resort and Laurel ski area.

Last edited:

kendo

A good article from Colorado about the shit show that is Vail resorts was published today:

https://coloradosun.com/2021/12/31/labor-shortage-vail-resorts-ski-areas-understaffed-omicron/

It's not just NH, their operations are horrendous all over. I bet it gets even worse next year, who is going to want to work for them? Especially when Vail's competitors are so much more functional.

that article by Jason is a good counterpoint to this article a couple days ago. . . heavy on the Katz revenue building history / wall street appeasing culture but light on the actual conditions at the acquired resorts and the sustainability of the Katz scheme.

gittist

Broomfield mothership could be pretty close to actually being on fire. Like real fire. The two towns just north got destroyed last night. 75+mph wind with raging fires
The fire and the fact that many people are losing their homes really is tragic, but I wonder how people will feel if Vail HQ burns down and what the impact would be?

drjeff

A lot of people i talk to on the lifts have no idea what is going on with vail.
Truth is just like if one doesn't partake in much news media they don't know how "scared" they're supposed to be about COVID or how racist everyone apparently is, if one doesn't partake in much ski/riding related social media, they won't have any idea.

Heck, a bunch of folks who do partake in some ski/riding social media don't know much about it or just some basic ski area operations things... I use the Skiology social media pages as a prime example of some of the lack of knowledge from the operations realities of skiing as a prime example for some of its members....

MadKitty

Truth is just like if one doesn't partake in much news media they don't know how "scared" they're supposed to be about COVID or how racist everyone apparently is, if one doesn't partake in much ski/riding related social media, they won't have any idea.

Heck, a bunch of folks who do partake in some ski/riding social media don't know much about it or just some basic ski area operations things... I use the Skiology social media pages as a prime example of some of the lack of knowledge from the operations realities of skiing as a prime example for some of its members....
That may be true at Mount Snow, but that is a resort Vail is actually bothering to operate in a reasonable capacity. Mount Snow also likely receives the highest percentage of casual skiers of any Vail area in New England. The plebian areas in NH are a constant Vail bitch fest. The casual skiers join in to because it's easy to see the surrounding non-Vail areas all have way more trails/lifts open. You even hear employees bitching about Vail in NH.

Austerity will come Mount Snow's way once pass sales fall. It's inevitable given the covid induced outdoor recreation bubble we're in. Quarterly profits above long term viability.

thetrailboss

Staff member
View attachment 52522

Park City this Morning. Fuck that
I can top that. Deer Valley the other day. So much for that "limited ticket sales" thing.

271023481_10158599645447361_367721381074057802_n.jpg

2Planker

Wildcat was way understaffed today. Kids said they didn't have corrals set up and no one was checking tix....
They said it was OK but they don't want to go back until it's more open and better staffed....

raisingarizona

Why do people even bother to ski when the lines are that bad. I’d turn around and leave the moment I got there.
That decision probably depends on how far your drive was and if you committed to buying a day pass. Most of those people are most likely on a vacation they spent big $ on and probably don’t know any different. If you’re an urban weekend warrior your whole life is spent in lines and in traffic, it’s how they roll.

gittist

"... So much for that "limited ticket sales" thing...."

It's Machiavellian marketing. A lot of people will rush tight out (or online) when Vail puts out there are only a few tickets to be sold . The limit is probably so high it'll never be reached.

The weather in a lot of places is making for a challenging season on top of the the Vail fail.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Xwhaler saw this sign at the Littleton Walmart today.

Choice A. Work 3 graveyard shifts stocking shelves at Walmart on likely a fixed schedule making $19.50/hr

Choice B. Make snow in the freezing cold at Wildcat with a who knows what your schedule will be making $13/hr

But sure, let's continue to blame Covid on staffing issuesreceived_342284564053776.jpeg

Kingslug20

Report showing wednesday warm..then the rest cold..but this changes every day..so who knows..