• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

NYDB

I think $20 is still too low. That's less than $12 an hour in 1999 dollars. We still have a ways to go for wages to catch up with inflation.

Given what ski areas charge for lessons, they are still screwing over instructors at that rate.
agreed. where the hell do you live on $20 an hour? even before the last 2 years of mountain real estate going bananas.

unless they are only looking for trust funders and retirees

Edd

agreed. where the hell do you live on $20 an hour? even before the last 2 years of mountain real estate going bananas.

unless they are only looking for trust funders and retirees
Arkansas? Missouri? This could be confusing to Vail GMs since they come from the Midwest generally.

Mainer

Attitash and wildcat joined the mwv chamber of commerce again. I’m psyched. I don’t have to give vail any money and I get 5 passes to each so I can ski my favorite mountains in the area. I was getting the chamber pass regardless so it’s a win win for me. They must have realized the valley hates them. I hate them a little less now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Attitash and wildcat joined the mwv chamber of commerce again. I’m psyched. I don’t have to give vail any money and I get 5 passes to each so I can ski my favorite mountains in the area. I was getting the chamber pass regardless so it’s a win win for me. They must have realized the valley hates them. I hate them a little less now.
Well, are you sure that they are going to participate? Vail is known for pulling out of such programs because it’s all about EPIC.

2Planker

Sweet I'm in again too
Still include BW, Black, Cranmore, King Pine, & Shawnee ??
7 places, 35 days for how much ?

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
The guest editorial cited above baffles me in two ways:
1. It doesn't mention Vail, so it's not clear how it's relevant to this thread.
2. It doesn't mention New England or Northeast, so it's not clear how it's relevant to a forum titled "Northeast Skiing and Snowboarding Forum"

That being said, I do agree with the title of the guest editorial for the Northeast, "This past ski season was uninspiring, at best" for the following reasons:
1. Only 2 or 3 areas in New England were more than half open by mid-January (and one of them was a Vail operated area)
2. Despite Killington's June 4th closing, many areas closed early due to record-warm March temps.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
The discussion of Vail's $20 per hour is an issue of "region of the country" in which one lives.

For example, in NYC, $20 per hour is a starvation wage. In some of the "3rd world" areas of the USA, people would be lining up for a chance to make $20 per hour.

In New England/the Northeast:
1. Many of the large areas deal with the employment problem with a combination of J3 visa people and on-site (or nearby) employee housing.
2. Many northeast ski areas have people living within easy commuting distance of ski areas. This yields 3 groups of people for whom the cost of housing is a non-issue and $20 per hour is a reasonable wage:
a. Teenagers looking for a free lift ticket and some spending money
b. Landscapers, farmers and other seasonal workers who work the ski areas in their off-season.
c. Retired people who love the ski-scene who were not unhappy at $10 per hour

The bigger problem for filling jobs is: Many people who wanted a $20 an hour job, (but were not smart enough to get one,) apparently thought they were smart enough to overrule the science/medical community on vaccinations and were unwilling to get the vaccine that was required to get the job!

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Unemployment at the national level has always been good for ski area staffing levels. Unemployment rate surprising many economists and is continuing to stay low despite a certain "economic slowdown" by using almost all other measures.

Will be interesting to watch the next couple months as we inch towards the October hiring season at the resorts.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
My understanding is that hiring (i.e., offers for new employees) for "seasonal positions" starts in October but actual start of the work schedule is later, with starting date depending on the area.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Vail has shown to be well behind schedule from the competition in terms of job fairs and hiring in the Mt Washington valley anyway. At least the past few years. Maybe that changes this season.

bigbob

The discussion of Vail's $20 per hour is an issue of "region of the country" in which one lives.

For example, in NYC, $20 per hour is a starvation wage. In some of the "3rd world" areas of the USA, people would be lining up for a chance to make $20 per hour.

In New England/the Northeast:
1. Many of the large areas deal with the employment problem with a combination of J3 visa people and on-site (or nearby) employee housing.
2. Many northeast ski areas have people living within easy commuting distance of ski areas. This yields 3 groups of people for whom the cost of housing is a non-issue and $20 per hour is a reasonable wage:
a. Teenagers looking for a free lift ticket and some spending money
b. Landscapers, farmers and other seasonal workers who work the ski areas in their off-season.
c. Retired people who love the ski-scene who were not unhappy at $10 per hour

The bigger problem for filling jobs is: Many people who wanted a $20 an hour job, (but were not smart enough to get one,) apparently thought they were smart enough to overrule the science/medical community on vaccinations and were unwilling to get the vaccine that was required to get the job!
Some of the ski area jobs don't require any skill sets. Some, like lift mechanics, electricians, equipment mechanics, etc require licenses and prior experience. These people are sought after by all ski areas and would require a more competitive wage than $20/hour. I would say $30+ per hour.

crystalmountainskier

Some of the ski area jobs don't require any skill sets. Some, like lift mechanics, electricians, equipment mechanics, etc require licenses and prior experience. These people are sought after by all ski areas and would require a more competitive wage than $20/hour. I would say $30+ per hour.
Licenses and experience required for lift mechanics...LOL. Not in America.

thebigo

My understanding is that hiring (i.e., offers for new employees) for "seasonal positions" starts in October but actual start of the work schedule is later, with starting date depending on the area.
Joshua, we have skied together, not sure if you remember

Do you really think vail has been a good steward of crotched?

Joshua, how many days last year did you ski non-vail nh mountains?

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Bigo: I do remember you.

I skied 144 days and 2.5M vert last season. 14 were at non-Vail areas, including Killington, Ragged and Cannon. Tough to spend on lift-tickets with Okemo, Mt. Snow and Sunapee available as easy day trips.

CM was left a mess by the departing GM. The new GM came on board late in 2021. It's hard to say what problems at CM were Vail related versus the impossible job the new GM was given. The new GM appears to be doing an excellent job. There are more work and deferred maintenance issues being attended to this summer than I have seen in any summer since 2007 (the year I started there) with the possible exception of the summer when the HSQ was installed.

Given the ambiguity of the evidence, I will be able to answer your question better following the 2022-3 season.