• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Mum skier

It must not be profitable enough to make it worth the effort I guess.

These companies have to be looking at the predictions though.

we did a day at Cranmore this summer, it was jam packed. Adults hated it but kids loved it. They were short staffed. The rides at Attitash look so much better than the offerings at Cranmore, I can’t believe it wouldn’t make money. So many families spend time in the White Mountains in summer. We have a deal, we do one adult day (hiking or climbing) then one kid choice day. Other than Whalestale and Cranmore there are limited options for tweens who are past the Santa village type park.
I think Attitash could make a killing on their summer offerings if they tried to.

eatskisleep

we did a day at Cranmore this summer, it was jam packed. Adults hated it but kids loved it. They were short staffed. The rides at Attitash look so much better than the offerings at Cranmore, I can’t believe it wouldn’t make money. So many families spend time in the White Mountains in summer. We have a deal, we do one adult day (hiking or climbing) then one kid choice day. Other than Whalestale and Cranmore there are limited options for tweens who are past the Santa village type park.
I think Attitash could make a killing on their summer offerings if they tried to.
Attitash was always mobbed in the summer. The alpine slides were a big money maker. Mountain biking is becoming increasingly popular, I used to ride there all the time. It is low budget to run, but great way to bring in a crowd during the summer.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's also a great way to offer more (closer to) 4 season employment. All my life the trend in ski towns has been what can be done to make these places more of a four season destination. That helps to both drive more tourist revenue into these towns during more days of the year AND retain workforce. Vail seems intent on reversing the trend in the Northeast and say screw it, we will roll up the carpets come spring and just import the help. You lose continuity doing this and service and operations suffer in the winter. The locals resent you and go work for other local businesses that can offer a bit more year round stability. Or move and go work for the competition.

But I suppose if they keep offering a cheap enough product while also monopolizing markets, it works just fine for them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They used to have lots of events and activities. I’m talking 20-30 years ago. But now it’s all Epic Fail.

Smellytele

Other options -
Zip lines at BW, the adventure place in lincoln(ropes course and zip lining).

RH29

Pretty rare that anything comes from these petitions, but it's worth a shot. Get the word out.

KustyTheKlown

a friend texted me a screenshot from the epicliftlines page of someones social media post claiming that a disgruntled employee of a vail owned sports shop in Breckenridge marked everything down 90% and sold out the store on his last day working. lol

Smellytele

a friend texted me a screenshot from the epicliftlines page of someones social media post claiming that a disgruntled employee of a vail owned sports shop in Breckenridge marked everything down 90% and sold out the store on his last day working. lol
Criminal act and probably will be prosecuted.

BenedictGomez

Got an email today for a "no money down" and "no interest" offer for an EPIC pass.

Is that a sign of the times or has this been offered for year's now & I've just never seen it?

KustyTheKlown

Got an email today for a "no money down" and "no interest" offer for an EPIC pass.

Is that a sign of the times or has this been offered year's pass & I've never seen it?

i dont know if its been offered for epic pass but it certainly has been offered for ikon pass and tons of other medium large purchase things. its just affirm, which is a payment option lots of places across the internet. its treated as a small 0% personal loan and a direct draw from your checking account for a few months.

jimmywilson69

And Vail will 100% press charges if the story is true. This is company which gets the police involved when it finds someone skiing with someone else's EPIC pass.
I'm not sure I disagree with that to be honest. There are lots of reasons to hate Vail, but theft of services doesn't seem like one of them. Especially when they are presumably "giving away" the pass to begin with.

BenedictGomez

How you do it is you get young adults to your resorts with cheap season passes, those young adults marry and have children that also turn into skiers.

Nope. The "young adults" never skier isn't generally dropping $600 or $800 in "cheap" season passes (which may not seem so cheap for a 22 year old). They'll give it a whirl for 1 day or a 2 day ski trip at most.