• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

snoseek

As I said, the current mindset of the industry, for many reasons, is basically fuck the future and cash in NOW!

Goodbye cheap learn to ski promos and cheap ski lessons for kids. The industry thinks that the market has spoken: we want discount season passes AT ALL costs. Ski school is meant to cover the losses/costs of discount season passes. Good for the established skier and rider, bad for families, bad for the 3-5 day crowd, bad for never-evers.

But hey, they think that the market WANTS cheap season passes and the industry has admittedly created that beast. Don't believe me?

As far as I'm concerned learning to ski should be cheap if not free.

IceEidolon

Honestly if I owned one of the big chains, I'd be trying to open and run at a loss some feeder hills to grow long term participation. Basically copy the Big Snow layout with a minimum footprint, but more teaching terrain. And outdoors.

Now, convincing shareholders that these 10+ year payoffs are worth the effort and expense, especially when our competitors will see more participation too, is a nonstarter. It looks like the indoor ski operations might fill some of this role

urungus

Even as of last season, 37.3 % of visits were from single-day sales. Kind of surprised it is still that high. Wasn’t it mentioned a couple weeks ago that Vails proportion of single day tickets across all their properties is something like 4 % ?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Even as of last season, 37.3 % of visits were from single-day sales. Kind of surprised it is still that high. Wasn’t it mentioned a couple weeks ago that Vails proportion of single day tickets across all their properties is something like 4 % ?
Well, that is industry-wide. So if you take out the Vail and IKON resorts you still have a lot of independent resorts. I would think that a lot of the smaller places still do a lot of day tickets. Vail is the one that has been doing the "no day ticket sales" approach the longest, so it shows that the rest of the market has yet to catch up. That's at least how I interpret it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Honestly if I owned one of the big chains, I'd be trying to open and run at a loss some feeder hills to grow long term participation. Basically copy the Big Snow layout with a minimum footprint, but more teaching terrain. And outdoors.

Now, convincing shareholders that these 10+ year payoffs are worth the effort and expense, especially when our competitors will see more participation too, is a nonstarter. It looks like the indoor ski operations might fill some of this role
The interesting thing is that Vail does own a fair number of these sorts of places, but this last season they cut back on operations (like at Crotched) and still embraced the Epic Season pass model.

SLyardsale

As far as I'm concerned learning to ski should be cheap if not free.
The dentist from Mt Snow forgets that Peak offered a lower Mt lift ticket at significant discount - and it made sense and was a completely logical way of introducing those kid's friends you brought with you on vacation or the neighbors you tried to coax into the sport.

raisingarizona

As has been discussed that's all great but how do you get new people into the sport? They clearly don't care and those in charge, similar to mr big smile katz, will have cashed out long before the question has to be asked.
Indeed. Why bother? Climate change is happening. Grab the cash now

eatskisleep

Indeed. Why bother? Climate change is happening. Grab the cash now
Always amazed me How short sighted they are… if they believe in Climate Change why aren’t they working on expanding summer operations? Instead they shut down everything at Attitash while meanwhile Cranmore is thriving.

raisingarizona

Always amazed me How short sighted they are… if they believe in Climate Change why aren’t they working on expanding summer operations? Instead they shut down everything at Attitash while meanwhile Cranmore is thriving.
It must not be profitable enough to make it worth the effort I guess.

These companies have to be looking at the predictions though.

raisingarizona

I wonder, are the ski areas Vail I’d dumping the most money in to new lifts and infrastructure in the more safe zones for predicted climate change?

Newpylong

If there is one good thing about Vail's dominance in the East is the smaller to medium size hills are thriving, many of which were on borderline life support. No longer are people seeking out the learning programs at the big hills in abundance unless they are staying there anyway.

thebigo

Tuckerbrook is a perfect learning area, used to be free but it is a $53 day ticket now, $43 advance purchase. Have been watching my sister try to get her kids into skiing on a very limited budget and it is a struggle. She bought some learn to ski package at mcintyre last year and the kids fell in love with it. Tuckerbook free midweek for NH kids would possibly be enough to hook those two kids for life.

snoseek

Tuckerbrook is a perfect learning area, used to be free but it is a $53 day ticket now, $43 advance purchase. Have been watching my sister try to get her kids into skiing on a very limited budget and it is a struggle. She bought some learn to ski package at mcintyre last year and the kids fell in love with it. Tuckerbook free midweek for NH kids would possibly be enough to hook those two kids for life.
damn It used to be 20 bucks which was a great deal for novices. 53 is STEEP!

Edd

Riding zip lines and mountain coasters isn’t an addictive skill the same way skiing is. Also, no idea how many people want to book lodging at ski areas in the summer for such things.

Which brings us to the Epic Pass, which is Vail’s favorite thing, and it doesn’t apply cleanly to summer activities.

The caveat there is mountain biking, the success rate of which seems very hit or miss throughout the ski industry.