• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

BenedictGomez

I wonder, are the ski areas Vail I’d dumping the most money in to new lifts and infrastructure in the more safe zones for predicted climate change?
Repeated comments like this are demonstrative of the fact you dont understand how slow the earth is predicted to warm from Global Warming (going with UN IPCC data), but the, "there'll be no skiing" stuff is really dumb. To be fair, you're not alone on this board, but it's absolutely absurd. It's like a Salem Witch level of silliness. Nevertheless, I'm 100% sure it's not going to crush Vail's 10-year Capital Expenditure modeling!

Not to mention the warming models have been wrong to the upside thus far for years now, so I see no reason to simply believe their current negative predictions & lamentations will be 100% correct in their worst-case scenario. I'd also suggest that betting against the ingenuity of mankind to solve critical problems has generally been a catastrophic losing bet for thousands of years. By 2050 the only fossil-fueled vehicles on the road will be a handful of curios & antiques as Solid State Battery technology obsoletes gasoline & many other alternative energy sources come to market, but I digress.

TL/DR: Don't worry, be happy.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I'm not sure I disagree with that to be honest. There are lots of reasons to hate Vail, but theft of services doesn't seem like one of them. Especially when they are presumably "giving away" the pass to begin with.
Neither do I, I didnt mean it that way if that's the way it came off, I just meant that that person's absolutely screwed if this really happened!

Last edited:

IceEidolon

Repeated comments like this are demonstrative of the fact you dont understand how slow the earth is predicted to warm from Global Warming (going with UN IPCC data), but the, "there'll be no skiing" stuff is really dumb. To be fair, you're not alone on this board, but it's absolutely absurd. It's like a Salem Witch level of silliness. Nevertheless, I'm 100% sure it's not going to crush Vail's 10-year Capital Expenditure modeling!

Not to mention the warming models have been wrong to the upside thus far for years now, so I see no reason to simply believe their current negative predictions & lamentations will be 100% correct in their worst-case scenario. I'd also suggest that betting against the ingenuity of mankind to solve critical problems has generally been a catastrophic losing bet for thousands of years. By 2050 the only fossil-fueled vehicles on the road will be a handful of curios & antiques as Solid State Battery technology obsoletes gasoline & many other alternative energy sources come to market, but I digress.

TL/DR: Don't worry, be happy.
Depends on what your repayment period is for e.g. snowmaking upgrades. The first couple automated trails in the mid 90s (Hunter and Blue) were still rocking their original equipment 25 years later. The ex-Snowtime resorts in particular may not justify long term investment like, say, new pipe with a 40 year lifespan, new lodging, new lifts, new trails - rather, they might be forced to consolidate onto fewer trails with a shorter season if the average winter temperature rises by even a degree, or shift to SnowMagic style all weather equipment to ensure Christmas openings.

An alternate perspective is that they should get all the investment as soon as possible so as to get the benefits immediately and get the full useful lifespan of the installed equipment. So far, Vail hasn't done either.

abc

a friend texted me a screenshot from the epicliftlines page of someones social media post claiming that a disgruntled employee of a vail owned sports shop in Breckenridge marked everything down 90% and sold out the store on his last day working. lol
Claimed, but I doubt it.

Unless the store was manned by only 1 single employee.

fbrissette

Correct. Warming is slow when your time horizon is the next decade or two. At the geological time scale however, the observed current warming is freakingly scary fast. And you have to differentiate global mean temperature increase versus local regionalized increases. Land masses warm faster and snow covered regions even more because of snowcover loss feedback. Global temperatures have increased by 1 degree C. That does not seem much. But Northern Vermont has warmed by 2 degrees C, and winters are now warmer by 3 degress (5.4 F). Winters in Northern Quebec are 6C (10.8F) warmer than 50 years ago. This is hard data, not model projections.

Not to mention the warming models have been wrong to the upside thus far for years now,
Wrong. The ensemble mean of climate models has been remarkably good at predicting the average trend of warming over the past 60 years.

I'd also suggest that betting against the ingenuity of mankind to solve critical problems has generally been a catastrophic losing bet for thousands of years. By 2050 the only fossil-fueled vehicles on the road will be a handful of curios & antiques as Solid State Battery technology obsoletes gasoline & many other alternative energy sources come to market, but I digress.

I tend to agree with this. However, The energy transition will not be sufficient and some cheap carbon removal technology will also be needed to avoid some of the worst outcomes. But I do have faith in mankind ingeniosity.

Kingslug20

Houses where I live weren't designed with too much AC built in...now..we are all putting in split systems to supplement it...
It was a pretty hot summer up here in Williston...

BenedictGomez

Correct. Warming is slow when your time horizon is the next decade or two. At the geological time scale however, the observed current warming is freakingly scary fast. And you have to differentiate global mean temperature increase versus local regionalized increases. Land masses warm faster and snow covered regions even more because of snowcover loss feedback. Global temperatures have increased by 1 degree C. That does not seem much. But Northern Vermont has warmed by 2 degrees C, and winters are now warmer by 3 degress (5.4 F). Winters in Northern Quebec are 6C (10.8F) warmer than 50 years ago. This is hard data, not model projections.

I'm fine with the above take other than the bolded bit, because "hard data" in science (or finance, or anything frankly) based on laughably low 'N's is something that, in the immortal words of Shania Twain, "Dont Impress Me Much". Talk to me in about 400 years. I'm completely convinced that if we were living through another Maunder Minimum our same politicians would be seeking billions of dollars & enacting punishing (and controlling) laws on business in order to save the planet from freezing. It's been this way ever since I've breathed air. The government where I grew up tried to terrify me as a child about both Acid Rain and Radon (not to mention indoctrination attempts in school).

mbedle

I'm fine with the above take other than the bolded bit, because "hard data" in science (or finance, or anything frankly) based on laughably low 'N's is something that, in the immortal words of Shania Twain, "Dont Impress Me Much". Talk to me in about 400 years. I'm completely convinced that if we were living through another Maunder Minimum our same politicians would be seeking billions of dollars & enacting punishing (and controlling) laws on business in order to save the planet from freezing. It's been this way ever since I've breathed air. The government where I grew up tried to terrify me as a child about both Acid Rain and Radon (not to mention indoctrination attempts in school).
Wait, acid rain and radon were not a problem back in the 70's and 80's?

BenedictGomez

Wait, acid rain and radon were not a problem back in the 70's and 80's?

Technically, they're both still a problem today, but the herd has moved on to other fear-mongering, better corporate extortion grift, and self-righteous displays. Guess nobody gives a **** about Tibet anymore either while we're at it, that herd moved on too. They probably don't need to be "Free" anyway one can only presume.

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

When the ski areas pump out tons and tons of snow, does that heat or cool the earth? I'm thinking cool.

Acid rain has been knocked back, I don't here of anyone pouring lime into ponds up north these days.

Radon seems to be a problem from houses being too tight, in the old days nothing could build up in the air...

urungus

Actually North America and Europe have done a decent job combating acid rain, maybe that’s why you don’t hear about it as much

B31A01EC-9719-49D2-9D67-65382667E104.jpeg

32532BB9-2661-4452-85A5-1A5FC74E9DA1.jpeg

1dog

Some cool tools:

batteries are not the answer ( they store energy created by coal, gas, hydro, etc.but not well and certainly not green)

I purchased some Plug Power stock around $15 or so. Not because I think its a game changer, but the money being thrown around well, they will get some, and maybe a lot. They have a contract w Amazon to provide hydro-run robots for the distribution centers. Its cool, but basically takes more energy top separate the hydrogen from the oxygen than its worth - someday maybe. . . . . but since it takes 200,000 gallons of water to clean enough cobalt for one car battery, never mind the lithium, nickel and all the other mining that's required. . . . frack me any day of the week.

I'll take the organics for now - rotted debris they call fossil fuel - quite the misnomer. . . . .

skiur

Technically, they're both still a problem today, but the herd has moved on to other fear-mongering, better corporate extortion grift, and self-righteous displays. Guess nobody gives a **** about Tibet anymore either while we're at it, that herd moved on too. They probably don't need to be "Free" anyway one can only presume.
Britney griner was a huge thing a few months ago and she has already been forgotten by the herd.

skiur

Biden is talking to her wife and i did see within the last week they are trying to negotiate for her and the other guy to be released.
Yes, nice to see she hasn't been fully forgotten, but the outcry that was happening in the beginning is almost non existent now. The masses have moved on to their next outrage.

jimmywilson69

Probably because once the masses realized it was an incredibly stupid decision to take illegal drugs into a country we are quazi at war with they didn't feel bad for her anymore. Just a hunch... Its not like she was being wrongfully charged with something.

Does the punishment fit the crime? Not really for us to say as lots of country's have stiff rules for things you get a pass on in the USA.

cdskier

Probably because once the masses realized it was an incredibly stupid decision to take illegal drugs into a country we are quazi at war with they didn't feel bad for her anymore. Just a hunch... Its not like she was being wrongfully charged with something.

Does the punishment fit the crime? Not really for us to say as lots of country's have stiff rules for things you get a pass on in the USA.

To be honest, it is pretty stupid to go at all to a country that is essentially an "enemy" of ours at the moment. Even without having illegal drugs...why take that risk?