• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

FBGM

Saw some higher up positions in mountain operations at some Vail resorts get filled and I just shake my head. It’s obviously not about experience, it’s about drinking the Vail Kool-Aid and following their script. Product, knowledge and skill don’t matter. Budget, numbers, money is all that’s important

SkiingInABlueDream

People spend hours waiting in lines at amusement parks to do probably 5-10 rides on <whatever> . They pay for parking, entry to the park, food/drinks, souvenirs and who knows what else. And they're content with this because it's considered a quality"family" day. And the parks rake in money. Katz figured out that the same customer experience model can be applied to skiing.
It was genius. I wish 🔫🔪☠️⚰️upon him. But from a business perspective, he's a genius🤷‍♂️

Smellytele

People spend hours waiting in lines at amusement parks to do probably 5-10 rides on <whatever> . They pay for parking, entry to the park, food/drinks, souvenirs and who knows what else. And they're content with this because it's considered a quality"family" day. And the parks rake in money. Katz figured out that the same customer experience model can be applied to skiing.
It was genius. I wish 🔫🔪☠️⚰️upon him. But from a business perspective, he's a genius🤷‍♂️
But most people buy day tix to amusement parks.
Or multiple day not season passes.

jimmywilson69

Actually the season pass model is usually pretty prevalent if you live near a park and you like that sort of thing. I know lots of people who have Hershey Park passes. We used to have them until my son's summer sports schedule was too busy. Its nice because you can avoid crowds.

SkiingInABlueDream

But most people buy day tix to amusement parks.
Or multiple day not season passes.
I don't disagree, but my point was more that many people will accept spending more time doing "nothing" instead of the activity they came for, while spending extra money along the way, and call it a "good day", in the amusement park as well as skiing worlds. Not ppl like us here obviously but enough for Vail to make off well...

icecoast1

As long as the mountains are full of people..mission accomplished..
will be interesting to see if the decline in season pass sales continues, that may lead to change. But as long as they're selling passes and making money, why bother actually changing things for the better?

thebigo

They seriously don't offer a discounted ticket for racer parents?

Weird. Before the race camp was cancelled, Mt Snow was going to offer $50 day tickets.

Looks like you'll need to consider epic day passes as a racer parent
Tell me about it. Depending on how the season goes I could be stuck at a vail NH property up to ten days this year.

the_awesome

For people in the MWV there really aren't many other viable choices. I love Black, but the snow is super inconsistent. I also have a Sun N' Snow pass (Cranmore & BW) which is great for lazy cruising days, but hardly the terrain variety or vert of the Cat or Attitrash. For me, the location of my condo to Bear Peak and the ability to work from home allows me to get in runs in between meetings, lunch etc.. easily. So as much as Vail fails and I dream of the days of Peak to be back (never thought I'd say that) I just can't ditch the work day runs and amazing terrain at the Cat.

catskillman

interesting. You are correct. I do know folks that buy a season pass to one of these type places, but there is also concerts involved, not just rides