• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail's Big Northeast Improvements- 2022-2023

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
https://liftblog.com/2021/09/23/breaking-vail-resorts-to-build-19-lifts-at-14-resorts-in-2022/

Northeast Specific-

Vermont & New Hampshire

• Stowe Mountain Resort, Mountain Lift: The replacement and extension of the existing fixed-grip triple to a high-speed 6-person lift will increase uphill capacity by 100%, eliminate the steep hike to the base of the lift, improve reliability on windy days and offer beginner and intermediate guests with better access to lower-level terrain choices.
  • Mount Snow, Sundance/Tumbleweed Lift: The replacement of two fixed-grip triples with one high-speed 6-person lift will improve access to underutilized terrain and alleviate pressure on other lifts in the main base area, increasing uphill capacity by nearly 70%.
  • Mount Snow, Sunbrook Lift: A new high-speed 4-person chair to replace the existing fixed-grip triple will significantly decrease the current 14-minute ride time by approximately 30% and result in better utilization of the Sunbrook terrain.
  • Attitash Mountain Resort: The replacement of the East and West Double-Double chairs with one fixed-grip 4-person chair will improve reliability and enhance the overall guest experience at Attitash.
Pennsylvania & Ohio

• Jack Frost/Big Boulder: The replacement and consolidation of multiple lifts at both resorts will improve reliability and enhance the overall guest experience. Jack Frost will receive two new fixed-grip 4-person chairs (one to replace the B & C lifts and the other to replace the E & F lifts) and Big Boulder will receive a new fixed-grip 4-person chair to replace the Edelweiss Triple.
  • Boston Mills/Brandywine: At Boston Mills, the resort will get a new fixed-grip 4-person chair replacing the Lift 5 double. At Brandywine, a new fixed-grip 4-person chair will replace the Lift 3 triple. Both projects will enhance reliability and the overall guest experience.

Huge changes coming to Mount Snow and Stowe!!!! Mount Snow FINALLY replaces one of the most overdue lift replacements in the East with Sunbrook, AND brings back the "original" Sundance triple line. Personally I would prefer a HSQ on North Face before Sundance, but I'd bet they're prepping that base area for a big redevelopment and getting people to park there rather than the overcrowded Main Base.

IMO, a 6 on the Mountain Triple is overkill at Stowe, but I got no skin in that game lol.

gregnye

I guess Vail finally discovered that Attitash existed. Too bad they haven't found the upper mountain yet. Otherwise maybe they would have finally replaced the summit triple. I guess we just have to wait another 30+ years.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

When Stowe says they will eliminate the steep hike up to the lift does that mean the new lift will actually come down to close to the parking lot level? That would be awesome.

Reactions: Edd

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Not so sure how much I love replacing Sundance and Tumbleweed with one lift, as Sundance has been a great way to get near the top without a major lift line. I like some off the radar not from base lifts.

kendo

6 at Stowe will help a lot when the quad is on wind holds.

Thought they'd replace the double to get more top access but might have same exposure to wind and would be more congestion on Lord.

Zand

Kind of sad that the one place on Mt Snow's main face that you can avoid the yahoos will be overrun with people now. But I guess its good news in a general sense. Also Sunbrook was long overdue, just needs more trails.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Kind of sad that the one place on Mt Snow's main face that you can avoid the yahoos will be overrun with people now. But I guess its good news in a general sense. Also Sunbrook was long overdue, just needs more trails.

Mount Snow at least has enough trail capacity to take on the new lift. It won't be uncrowded over there anymore, but it won't be like Stratton where you have a gondola, two six packs, and a hsq all funneling onto 15 trails at the top.

icecoast1

Mount Snow at least has enough trail capacity to take on the new lift. It won't be uncrowded over there anymore, but it won't be like Stratton where you have a gondola, two six packs, and a hsq all funneling onto 15 trails at the top.
Hopefully it runs everyday as well and they don't continue the every/other alternation with Beartrap midweek.

deadheadskier

Staff member
6 at Stowe will help a lot when the quad is on wind holds.

Thought they'd replace the double to get more top access but might have same exposure to wind and would be more congestion on Lord.

I would not want them to change a thing with the Lookout double. The reason being is it would likely mean widening and perhaps some regrading of the Lookout trail. That would suck. Next to Goat it's my favorite trail as is on that side of the hill.

I have been advocating for a six to replace the triple for many years. Not because of wind hold, but a faster lift over there will reduce the amount of people on the quad overall because many people dislike slow lifts.

Alas I'm not getting a Vail pass again anytime soon

ne_skier

Any small ski area owners reading this get your pocketbooks out...gonna be a good handful of orphaned lifts next summer. I don't see them reinstalling Sundance or Tumbleweed, every lift mechanic I know on social media says that they are a pain in the ass to work on, so I doubt they'd go through the trouble of reinstalling one. No way they'd reinstall a tandem lift either due to their size and inefficiency. If you were looking for a longer triple there's a chance Vail would be willing to sell you Mountain alongside towers, line gear, carriers, etc from the old Green Ridge lift. Whatever they're doing sounds great and I have zero plans to ski at a Vail resort so I'll give them a break as I have no skin in the game

deadheadskier

Staff member
Any small ski area owners reading this get your pocketbooks out...gonna be a good handful of orphaned lifts next summer. I don't see them reinstalling Sundance or Tumbleweed, every lift mechanic I know on social media says that they are a pain in the ass to work on, so I doubt they'd go through the trouble of reinstalling one. No way they'd reinstall a tandem lift either due to their size and inefficiency. If you were looking for a longer triple there's a chance Vail would be willing to sell you Mountain alongside towers, line gear, carriers, etc from the old Green Ridge lift. Whatever they're doing sounds great and I have zero plans to ski at a Vail resort so I'll give them a break as I have no skin in the game

Please 🙏 be Big Squaw to reopen the upper mountain. Very unlikely, but would be great.

deadheadskier

Staff member
How much life is left in the wildcat hsq?

coming up on 25 years of service.

I would think if properly maintained they could get another ten out of it. The chair seems to have been pretty well maintained. Ive skied Cat more than any other mountain since 2007. Probably close to 200 days. The maintenance stoppages have been pretty rare.

Cat needs snowmaking pumping capacity increased more than anything. Maybe dredge the reservoir too. Even with the improvements from 6-7 years ago, I still don't believe they can blow a full trail top to bottom.

snoseek

Fuck they could have moved the clipper over and put a new lift to the top with a midstation.

SnowRock

I would not want them to change a thing with the Lookout double. The reason being is it would likely mean widening and perhaps some regrading of the Lookout trail. That would suck. Next to Goat it's my favorite trail as is on that side of the hill.

I have been advocating for a six to replace the triple for many years. Not because of wind hold, but a faster lift over there will reduce the amount of people on the quad overall because many people dislike slow lifts.

Alas I'm not getting a Vail pass again anytime soon
Agree with this… both on the lifts and lookout. One of my best runs ever, anywhere, was late season at Stowe in 2017. There was a sneaky early April dump and a pretty light crowd. Was on one of first chairs up and hit lookout first. Was just an unreal run that I still think about.

Never imagined a 6 pack for the triple, figured they’d make it a HSQ… but thinking about it, a 6 pack makes sense. Should really help take pressure off the quad.

Next thing they need to do is add snowmaking and a high speed to the toll house area which could create another beginner pod and spread things out more.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Agree with this… both on the lifts and lookout. One of my best runs ever, anywhere, was late season at Stowe in 2017. There was a sneaky early April dump and a pretty light crowd. Was on one of first chairs up and hit lookout first. Was just an unreal run that I still think about.

Never imagined a 6 pack for the triple, figured they’d make it a HSQ… but thinking about it, a 6 pack makes sense. Should really help take pressure off the quad.

Next thing they need to do is add snowmaking and a high speed to the toll house area which could create another beginner pod and spread things out more.

Had many such runs on Lookout. IMO that chair and trail has earned Castle Rock / Single Chair status. Preserve it forever and only replace the lift like for like when it dies. So basically once every 50 years.

I'm not sure a HSQ is the answer for the Toll House area. It's really way too long and so flat in the middle to be a great full length learning area. I know, I've dragged my son with my pole while skating plenty of times for long distances in the middle on Easy Street. The little ones just can't maintain the speed.

I almost think a fixed grip chair with a mid station from where lower toll road meets Easy Street makes the most sense. Blow snow on easy street top to bottom, but give folks the option to ski just the top.