• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

vermont powder?

wa-loaf

I'm considering the crosstrek but concerned that the 4 cylinder is under powered. how do you like it?
My understanding is that its an impreza with a beefed up suspension.

The 5 speed is pretty nice, you won't win races but it will get you there and is a little sporty. My gf was thinking of going with auto (cvt) because she's going to have to drive in the city a lot for her new job. Drove the auto out of the lot (after test driving the 5 spd) and said hell no. She loves it. Moved down from an 11' Outback that was too big for her.

HowieT2

The 5 speed is pretty nice, you won't win races but it will get you there and is a little sporty. My gf was thinking of going with auto (cvt) because she's going to have to drive in the city a lot for her new job. Drove the auto out of the lot (after test driving the 5 spd) and said hell no. She loves it. Moved down from an 11' Outback that was too big for her.

thx. i need the auto.
the outback has gotten too big. I had an '05 outback and it was fine size wise (until I blew the turbo and then the engine). i think the crosstrek looks like an old style outback.

KD7000

It definitely sucks that very few manuals are on the market now. The only AWD vehicles available manual that I'm aware of are subaru (I think only the outback?) and Audi A4.
I'm pretty sure Porsche still offers a 911 C4 with a stick. :smile:

ScottySkis

I drive Honda Accord that hates snow and hates Mountains driving. I got cheap snow tires on it , next used car I buy will be a Subrau probably.

Terry

My wife drives a 2002 honda accord that goes good in the snow. I put 4 altimax artic snow tires on it and has never been stuck with it since. It will go through snow that is plowing right up over the hood and keep right on going. The thing is a beast.

ScottySkis

My wife drives a 2002 honda accord that goes good in the snow. I put 4 altimax artic snow tires on it and has never been stuck with it since. It will go through snow that is plowing right up over the hood and keep right on going. The thing is a beast.

I have a 1996 window fogs up a lot. It been okay with ice and snow I driven through so far. Next time I spending more money on better snow tires. Engine and transmission are good conserding the age.

xwhaler

How many miles u got on that 96? Hondas seem to run forever

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Wavewheeler

I will only drive a stick! A slushbox isn't an option! The Jeep has a six speed. When I married our family car was a Honda Element and we drove to Greenwich, CT to pick one up that had a 5 speed. IMO you aren't driving unless you have a stick and a third pedal. ;)

skiNEwhere

IMO you aren't driving unless you have a stick and a third pedal. ;)

Does the e-brake count? :D

Sold my Audi s4 (manual) which was a blast to drive but a ton of maintenance and got an outback since the GF can't drive stick and I didn't want her to learn on a brand new car

deadheadskier

Staff member
3 peddler myself. What's particularly frustrating is the availability of MT cars across the globe that you can't get here. In Europe, Japan and I believe Australia you can get a MT Mazda CX 5 with AWD and a diesel engine. I'd pay a 5k premium for those options on that vehicle... maybe more.

Here you can only get a MT with the FWD version of the car with the 2 liter and underpowered engine. Only reason they offer that is so they can advertise the car as the most fuel efficient SUV on the market.

wa-loaf

3 peddler myself. What's particularly frustrating is the availability of MT cars across the globe that you can't get here. In Europe, Japan and I believe Australia you can get a MT Mazda CX 5 with AWD and a diesel engine. I'd pay a 5k premium for those options on that vehicle... maybe more.

Here you can only get a MT with the FWD version of the car with the 2 liter and underpowered engine. Only reason they offer that is so they can advertise the car as the most fuel efficient SUV on the market.

Yeah it's frustrating. Same applies to the Outback with a diesel and manual in Europe. Diesel torque would be great on the outback. Some hints VW might be coming out with an AllRoad type wagon, but they'll probably saddle it with an auto ...

C-Rex

Not sure I understand why you guys think a standard is better in snow.

You have better control over the power band, and can use the engine to slow the car down. Yes you can do that in an auto but it's just not the same.

gmcunni

i always feel more confident when i directly control the tranny in adverse conditions. past autos were slow and sloppy. but i i will say the auto in my gmc acadia is pretty sweet and responsive for downshift as needed. i feel as comfortable in that as i have in the past in saab with stick or the jeep.

Cornhead

I've thought this leaving my car running to hop into a place, if someone tries to steal it, they better know how to drive stick. I have a spare key, should get a key chain that I can easily remove the spare and lock the doors. I've owned Fords with the keypad on the doors, they were great for that. Here's a funny ad involving a stick, it's been posted here before, hilarious! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DKSq64FVcI4

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2