• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Visits Down Significantly Due to COVID-19

deadheadskier

Staff member
Plenty of colleges have been requiring vaccines for years.

Something punitive has to be on the table at this point.

Andrew B.

Make it hit folks wallet. This really is a no brainer at this point. The vaccines are free, readily available and save lives. Set a deadline of November 1st. You can get a vax for free until that point. After you are on the hook for $500 applied to your federal income tax liability. Use the proceeds to give back to the hospitals that are having to still deal with the unnecessary strain on resources.
This is an insane idea

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
You do understand the difference between the choice to go to a university and the government forcing you to do something to your body?
#unconstitutional

I do understand that, but my patience for anti-vax morons that are prolonging this situation is running thin.

Do you have a better idea on how to increase the acceptance rate of the vaccine? I'm all ears.

Maybe the insurance companies reduce the reimbursement rate for hospital services rendered to the unvaccinated

deadheadskier

Staff member
You chose to go to UVM knowing that was a requirement. No one forced you to “go to UVM or get fined”.
This is just silly, good luck with it.

I didn't choose to enlist at 18, but was required to do so.

I have to have a driver's license to legally drive a car.

Most all states require automobile passengers to wear a seatbelt or face a fine.

Somehow these societal participation options have passed constitutional muster.

I'm really just spit balling here. Perhaps we honestly need to get silly to get folks to wake the F up.

cdskier

Technically they do actually. Most Universities are public institutions. I went to UVM. Had to provide proof of vaccination.
If you really want to be technical, according to NCES stats, "most" are private (about 60% private vs 40% public).

I didn't choose to enlist at 18, but was required to do so.

I have to have a driver's license to legally drive a car.

Most all states require automobile passengers to wear a seatbelt or face a fine.

Somehow these societal participation options have passed constitutional muster.

I'm really just spit balling here. Perhaps we honestly need to get silly to get folks to wake the F up.
Other than the first thing, the others you listed are optional (You can choose not to drive or ride in a car).

That said, I do agree we need to find a way to put more pressure on people. Government mandating it is just going to create more push-back though. I am all in favor of employers (both public and private) requiring it along with schools requiring it. I'm also fine with making it a requirement for things people "want" to do (again this needs to be driven more by private entities though such as airlines requiring it to fly, stadiums/arenas requiring it to attend sporting events or concerts, etc).

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you really want to be technical, according to NCES stats, "most" are private (about 60% private vs 40% public).

Other than the first thing, the others you listed are optional (You can choose not to drive or ride in a car).

That said, I do agree we need to find a way to put more pressure on people. Government mandating it is just going to create more push-back though. I am all in favor of employers (both public and private) requiring it along with schools requiring it. I'm also fine with making it a requirement for things people "want" to do (again this needs to be driven more by private entities though such as airlines requiring it to fly, stadiums/arenas requiring it to attend sporting events or concerts, etc).

You are probably right about government mandates creating push back.

But government should absolutely support private entities choice in requiring vaccines.

Again, mainly just spit balling here. It's God damn ridiculous at this point why so many people are still refusing the vaccine and thus prolonging the problem. So, yeah, I'm throwing out some ridiculous ideas.

BenedictGomez

This is an insane idea

Literally unconstitutional, so it's a nonstarter, but it's like something from a Communist nation (where they actually do this). But ignoring that, it's also both mathematically & statistically foolish. About ~50% of Americans dont pay a penny in income tax to begin with, and the ~50% who do generally adhere fairly well to the vaccinations. So not only are you just doing something frighteningly authoritarian, but you're by-and-large missing the patient cohort you need to vax anyway. lol

cdskier

But ignoring that, it's also both mathematically & statistically foolish. About ~50% of Americans dont pay a penny in income tax to begin with, and the ~50% who do generally adhere fairly well to the vaccinations. So not only are you just doing something frighteningly authoritarian, but you're by-and-large missing the patient cohort you need to vax anyway. lol
I think in this case the anti-vax crowd is more diverse than you think. Off the top of my head I can think of a decent number of people that I personally know that are refusing to get the COVID vaccine so far. And all of them absolutely pay taxes.

abc

Do you have a better idea on how to increase the acceptance rate of the vaccine? I'm all ears.

Maybe the insurance companies reduce the reimbursement rate for hospital services rendered to the unvaccinated
Some of the steps already imposed: mandatory weekly testing.

Insurance company should absolutely put in a surcharge for those refusing to vaccinate (or the opposite way, a credit for the vaccinated).

Also, private company are free to deny paid sick leave for those refuse to vaccinate.

None of these step is going to work fast though. A much quicker way is to deny license for large events unless they "require" participants to vaccinate. My impression is majority of the unvaccinated aren't exactly "anti-vax". (I know a few) They're still largely just vaccine hesitant. Take away their favorite pass time, they may not be all that "anti-vax" any more.

BenedictGomez

I think in this case the anti-vax crowd is more diverse than you think. Off the top of my head I can think of a decent number of people that I personally know that are refusing to get the COVID vaccine so far. And all of them absolutely pay taxes.

I'm speaking purely on a statistical nature. We have this data, and the adult non-vaxxed are far more likely to be from the lower income pools. Yes, I'm sure there's a billionaire or three who graduated from Yale or Wharton who arent vaccinated, but they are not the preponderance of the non-vaxxed. Vax rate increases linearly with income level (also with education attainment).

Last edited:

Andrew B.

Nonsense.

The anti 2A morons are perfectly "happy" when they're the only ones who have access to guns; the examples of such are all around you.
I figured anyone that could believe that this is a good idea would be naive enough to buy the BS that most anti2A’ers only have “the purest of intentions”

machski

You do understand the difference between the choice to go to a university and the government forcing you to do something to your body?
#unconstitutional
I can't see this. But will insurance carriers start denying coverage for those unvaccinated and requiring hospitalization at some point. Yes, there is a governor mandate from ACA to have insurance but there is currently no penalty for not doing so. So in essence, there isn't a hard and fast mandate for insurance. So could that fly? No idea, but wouldn't put it past a carrier or 2 to try.

Smellytele

drjeff

Having spent 25ish or so years trying to convince folks to do some basic health items to help take care of themselves, as well as some with some societal stigma and controversy in some groups about a couple of things in my line of work (Amalgam"silver" fillings and Fluoride are 2 of the most common items I get some push back about), I tend to see that those who "question the science" can be in either the high or low income brackets, very well educated or non highschool graduates, male, female, old, young, married, single, parents, non parents, politcally leaning right, politically leaning left. There really isn't any strong pattern amongst the demographics, other then they all tend to have quite strong personalities and seem to not to be very accepting if someone tries and tells them what to do, even if their is an abundance of data and science that what you're trying to get them to do, will have a benefit for their health.

To try and make this push to get the unvaccinated more along politcial ideology instead of more often a stubborn personality trait mixed with a bit of fear/skepticism, I just feel isn't an accurate portrayal of the situation, and frankly the often politicalization of so much of COVID from basically Day 1 has certainly made aspects of how it is being handled far worse than they could of been, especially as things have evolved, and as such that has shown that some of what our various politicians (of BOTH major political parties) as well as public health officials and the partisan media, would of/should of made statements acknowledging that what they said in the past about something COVID related may have been false and what their ideological differnent equivalent in government or the media said about the same topic in the past was actually true.