• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Visits Down Significantly Due to COVID-19

boston_e

To try and make this push to get the unvaccinated more along politcial ideology instead of more often a stubborn personality trait mixed with a bit of fear/skepticism, I just feel isn't an accurate portrayal of the situation,
How is it not accurate? Survey after survey has shown that Republicans are less likely to be vaccinated than Democrats, and the data seems to support that with most of the "red states" being near the bottom of percentages of people who are fully vaccinated and "blue states"near the top.

jimmywilson69

Well said.

while COVID has amplified it, this problem has been elevating for a while now.

the fact that people of differing political opinions often times can't and won't see eye to eye with someone of differing views is destroying this country. Its really annoying and petty.

I'm not saying people should have to get a vaccine. But at the same time I wish everyone would to put this thing to rest so we can continue to live our lives as we once did or at a minimum move forward with whatever the Covid changed world will be.

slatham

So many people miss the point about vaccine mandates. Sure there are a some people - likely measured in the thousands - who will not get vaccinated, or have their children vaccinated. But the reality is vaccines are in effect mandated in this country and have been for decades. And note that most countries will not allow entry without proof of vaccination for certain diseases (Polio for instance). Take a look: https://www.immunize.org/laws/

As for the here and now, there is precedent for employers, schools, even government agencies, to mandate vaccination. And I think the health insurance angle is a good one. I expect there to be a flood of such mandates once full FDA approval is achieved.

Sure, you want to be free and exercise your constitutional right? Fine, but don;t expect to be able to live a normal life, because most of what people do is a privilege, not a right. And a privilege can be taken away.

Last edited:

cdskier

Sure, you want to be free and exercise your constitutional right? Fine, but don;t expect to be able to live a normal life, because most of what people do is a privilege, not a right. And a privilege can be taken away.
Yup...and what many people fail to realize is that "Freedom of choice" does not mean you have "Freedom from consequences" of said choice...

drjeff

How is it not accurate? Survey after survey has shown that Republicans are less likely to be vaccinated than Democrats, and the data seems to support that with most of the "red states" being near the bottom of percentages of people who are fully vaccinated and "blue states"near the top.

I agree that more folks who haven't been vaccinated yet are likely Conservative, however, shall we bring into the discussion the generally lower vaccination rates of African Americans, who historically tend to vote Democrat, and have the lasting societal effects from the essentailly medical experimentation work the government basically used them for a few generations ago, and the lingering effects that has had on that demographic with respect to trusting of the government when it comes to what they are saying (and saying correctly I fully believe) about COVID vaccines and their importance?

Or is that fact, and the affects it has had on keeping vaccine rates down even in some Blue states that have large urban areas, an inconvenient truth?

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I think there's more to it than herp derp Democrats will get vaccinated and Republicans wont.

It's true Democrats will be more obedient to authority than Republicans, so there's that, but Democrats also are far more likely to live in dense population centers where risk of COVID19 is dramatically higher than the rancher who owns 134 acres in Idaho, and that obviously will have a statistically meaningful impact on numbers when extrapolated out to millions. In fact, I think that's the answer right there. Democrats, in general, are at far more risk to catch COVID19, at least perceptionally.

I also blame the media. Why? Because interestingly enough early on from December to about May there was very little difference in vaccination rates between Republicans & Democrats, even though you heard otherwise. It was almost as if the media politically WANTED there to be a difference. The media politicized it & I think weirdly it became a self-fulfilling prophecy as Republicans "heard" other Republicans dont get vaxxed and Democrats "heard" other Democrats do get vaxxed. I dont necessarily love that explanation, but I have no other hypothesis for why vaccination rates went from D+2 to D+12 from early May to late July.

Hawk

Literally unconstitutional, so it's a nonstarter, but it's like something from a Communist nation (where they actually do this). But ignoring that, it's also both mathematically & statistically foolish. About ~50% of Americans dont pay a penny in income tax to begin with, and the ~50% who do generally adhere fairly well to the vaccinations. So not only are you just doing something frighteningly authoritarian, but you're by-and-large missing the patient cohort you need to vax anyway. lol
Is it really 50%. It can't be that high. If it is what the fuck. That is another whole topic. Jeezus I pay way to many taxes then.

Dickc

One of the things being left out of this equation is that many other countries have VERY low vax rates. Much has to do with money issues of getting the vaccines. The current Delta variant was predominantly found in India to begin with. India has a very low vax rate as they are relativly poor. Until we can provide (richer countries) to these poor countries, enough vaccine to go around, these variants will continue to happen.

drjeff

Is it really 50%. It can't be that high. If it is what the fuck. That is another whole topic. Jeezus I pay way to many taxes then.
It really is now just about 50% of Americans who for various reasons specified in the tax code, don't pay any federal income tax at all

mbedle

That 50% number is a little outdated and misunderstood. The number is now around 44% but doesn't take into account the age of the tax payer. For example, only 11% of people age 25-55 do not pay income tax. And 80% of people over 75 do not pay income tax. Another thing to note is that most people will typically only not be paying income tax for a single year.

dblskifanatic

Tha
Make it hit folks wallet. This really is a no brainer at this point. The vaccines are free, readily available and save lives. Set a deadline of November 1st. You can get a vax for free until that point. After you are on the hook for $500 applied to your federal income tax liability. Use the proceeds to give back to the hospitals that are having to still deal with the unnecessary strain on resources.
that is a bit much! Penalizing those that might have legitimate fears? I live in a predominantly black area and there are many good folks here that have no political agenda that have not been vaccinated yet. Many including my neighbors and others that I have spoken to in the area are just afraid of the health consequences.

kbroderick

... I dont necessarily love that explanation, but I have no other hypothesis for why vaccination rates went from D+2 to D+12 from early May to late July.

My guess would be that age has a significant impact on that statistic. The initial vaccine roll-out was generally targeted at higher-risk populations, particularly older folks, who (a) have a clearly higher risk of hospitalization and death should they become infected, and (b) may have either direct or nearly direct experience with prior mass-vaccination efforts (e.g. polio). Apparently those who recall a world where several modern vaccines weren't available have little interest in returning, while those who have no recollection of such times are more likely to be wary of vaccines.

boston_e

I think there's more to it than herp derp Democrats will get vaccinated and Republicans wont.

It's true Democrats will be more obedient to authority than Republicans, so there's that, but Democrats also are far more likely to live in dense population centers where risk of COVID19 is dramatically higher than the rancher who owns 134 acres in Idaho, and that obviously will have a statistically meaningful impact on numbers when extrapolated out to millions. In fact, I think that's the answer right there. Democrats, in general, are at far more risk to catch COVID19, at least perceptionally.

I also blame the media. Why? Because interestingly enough early on from December to about May there was very little difference in vaccination rates between Republicans & Democrats, even though you heard otherwise. It was almost as if the media politically WANTED there to be a difference. The media politicized it & I think weirdly it became a self-fulfilling prophecy as Republicans "heard" other Republicans dont get vaxxed and Democrats "heard" other Democrats do get vaxxed. I dont necessarily love that explanation, but I have no other hypothesis for why vaccination rates went from D+2 to D+12 from early May to late July.

Isn't it more likely because of these right wing echo chamber "news" outlets and prominent republican leader that continue to promote misinformation about the safety and efficacy of vaccines?

abc

The most telling of the politicization of vaccine is our former president, who played a key role in making the vaccine possible, chose to keep it out of the media that he got vaccinated DESPITE having caught Covid (and would have been immune anyway). Clearly, vaccine is a dirty little secret that's entirely unfashionable in the Republican circle! Any Republican who chose to get vaccinated largely did so quietly. So as not to fall out of favor of their supporters!

Is it any surprise the "media" acted accordingly? They have their rating to concern with too.

BenedictGomez

Isn't it more likely because of these right wing echo chamber "news" outlets and prominent republican leader that continue to promote misinformation about the safety and efficacy of vaccines?

I think that's political BS too. The reality is most people pay no attention to their politicians & one of the greatest "secrets" hiding in the open is that very few people watch cable news. Fox News blows away other cable news to the point if you add MSNBC to CNN it's still less than Fox News viewership. What is Fox News ratings? A "whopping" (sarcasm) 2M or so. And most Americans pathetically cant even name their congressman/congresswoman.

mikec142

Health insurance imposes a surcharge if you're a smoker... wonder if the same premise could apply to the non-vaxxed.