• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VT ending quarantine restrictions

abc

Strangely, this thread gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling! It's heart warming to read so many had refrained from skiing just not to break the quarantine rule!

The mainstream news media only reports people who disregard those rules. It made an impression that no one is following the CDC advice or state rules (however random and perhaps not entirely reasonable). The reality, it seems, is many many people are acting responsively!

Yes, I know there's no enforcement. But not everyone is comfortable outright lie on the attestation forms. I couldn't myself. Fortunately for me, I was able to satisfy the quarantine rule without outright lying. But many others didn't have that luxury. Nor can they bring themselves to lie. So had no choice but to stay away.

And their wait, and their patience, is now rewarded as they can travel without breaking the rules.

It's just nice to know there're still many of them, despite the impression there're none.

abc

I wonder how VT numbers compare to NH’s which had basically open borders and no quarantine
That's not quite true. There's quarantine rules too, though less strict. With exemption for MA residents. Oddly enough though, MA imposed quarantine for its residents returning from NH. So the "official" effect is actually the same as for VT.

But for NH, it's a lot more complicated and less practical to quarantine. Many people live right at the state line between NH/MA. There's no practical way to avoid crossing the state line frequently.

ThatGuy

But for NH, it's a lot more complicated and less practical to quarantine. Many people live right at the state line between NH/MA. There's no practical way to avoid crossing the state line frequently.
There’s plenty of people on the NY/VT MA/VT and VT/NH border in that same situation. I could drive through NY, VT and Mass in under 20 mins.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I didn't go to VT this year. I definitely duck ropes, but this seems different.

I want the pandemic to end, it's really hurting my 14yo.

I've had covid and one shot and I am still wearing a mask. Why? Doc Fauci wants me too, and I feel like the average joe doesn't know I've had covid. So he's maybe more comfortable serving me at a store if I have an n95 on.

ne_skier

I never got a paywall to begin with, I saw it linked on Liftblog and reposted it here

For those who can't access it:

MONTPELIER, Vt. — The COVID-19 pandemic has made the Green Mountains of Vermont a little less green.

As of the end of February, the 2020-21 ski season in Vermont saw a 30 percent overall drop-off in revenue, with losses estimated at $100 million, according to the Vermont Ski Areas Association.

Year-to-year, paid skier visits declined by more than 40 percent, lodging revenues by 60 percent, and food and beverage revenues by 70 percent.

Additionally, “Steep visitation decreases during the three crucial peak periods of Christmas-New Years, the Martin Luther King Weekend and Presidents’ Week had a large impact. Average overall revenues were down by approximately 30 percent, with some ski areas reporting losses of as much as 60 percent,” according to the Association, which represents 19 Alpine ski and snowboard resorts and 30 cross-country areas in the state.

Skiing is a major industry with an outsized impact on the state’s economy. While Vermont’s population is fewer than 632,000 people, the ski industry generates an estimated $1.9 billion per year.

New York by contrast, has more than 30 ski resorts, and a population of 19.46 million, was estimated to have a direct economic impact of just over $500 million in the 2016-17 season, according to a study by RRC Associates.

Vermont was hit especially hard by the closure of the Canadian border and its rigid quarantine rules for out of state visitors.

Those coming from out of state are supposed to quarantine for 14 days, although there are exceptions for essential, stay-at-home workers and for those who have been fully vaccinated.

The extent to which the quarantine is being enforced or policed is debatable but news of the policy kept many out-of-state skiers, who are the industry’s lifeblood, away.

Most of the quarantine remains in effect although those who have been vaccinated at least 14 days ago can now visit.

“Overall skier visits decreased by approximately 20 percent due to increased season pass visits partially offsetting declines in day visits. However, this commonly reported statistic does not adequately tell the story of how our ski areas have fared this season,” said Molly Mahar, the Association’s president.

Vermont also contains several resorts that offer the Ikon or Epic season passes, which allow access to several different ski centers and have become popular in recent years.

“The federal border closure and the state’s travel restrictions were a big reason for the large declines in day ticket sales and lodging revenues; while indoor capacity and gathering limits hurt food and beverage and ski school,” Mahar said.

“With a business model that is already dependent on weather and other factors beyond our control, a $100 million loss this season due to COVID is a difficult obstacle for Vermont’s ski areas to overcome. This comes on the heels of substantial losses from last season and very limited business over the summer and fall,” she added.

Additionally, the average number of employees at Vermont ski areas decreased by 35 percent this year. In a typical season, the state’s ski areas employ more than 13,000 people.

“This reduction in jobs, combined with less skier traffic flowing to local businesses, has hurt the rural areas of our state where most ski areas are located,” she said.

Numbers of the season so far for New York and Massachusetts ski centers were not immediately available on Tuesday. A handful of resorts in Vermont and New York remain open.

BenedictGomez

Step 1, set to begin April 9, quarantine requirements for travelers would be lifted. Instead, unvaccinated people entering Vermont would be required to get tested within three days of arrival.

This makes absolutely zero sense given current elevated COVID19 rates in the northeast & the fact only 23% of Vermont residents (as of today) are vaccinated, but of course it's not like science has had anything to do with this from Day 1, so.....

abc

There’s plenty of people on the NY/VT MA/VT and VT/NH border in that same situation. I could drive through NY, VT and Mass in under 20 mins.
"Plenty"? Sure... ;)

But not even close to the number of people living near the NH/MA border. Probably not even in the same order of magnitude!

Smellytele

"Plenty"? Sure... ;)

But not even close to the number of people living near the NH/MA border. Probably not even in the same order of magnitude!
NH only had a suggested quarantine. While VT said they had a mandatory one. Big difference in theory. Although the Vt mandatory quarantine was not enforced so in essence they were the same but good rule following people abided by it.

VTKilarney

This makes absolutely zero sense given current elevated COVID19 rates in the northeast & the fact only 23% of Vermont residents (as of today) are vaccinated, but of course it's not like science has had anything to do with this from Day 1, so.....

This is a very slow travel time. It has everything to do with giving people confidence to book summer travel.

dblskifanatic

The three day rule does not make sense as weekend people arrive and are gone before three days have elapsed. Maybe that is the reason?

Zermatt

Just a reminder, Vermont cannot treat residents different from non-residents. That is unconstitutional. Out of state visitors do not have to follow different rules than a Vermont resident would be subject to.

flakeydog

Just a reminder, Vermont cannot treat residents different from non-residents. That is unconstitutional. Out of state visitors do not have to follow different rules than a Vermont resident would be subject to.
I don't think so. Requirements appear to be the same if you are a visiting non-resident or a returning resident. Point is, and always has been, that if you were somewhere else that was not Vermont and now you are here in a place that is Vermont, you need to follow XYZ requirements no matter who you are. I dont think it is that complicated.

Last edited:

drjeff

This is a very slow travel time. It has everything to do with giving people confidence to book summer travel.
Agree 100% with this!

Short of a little spike when some parents go pick their college aged kids up in early May, and then a little spike on Memorial Day weekend, historical travel to VT for the next 2+ months is very low until the Summer season starts late June/early July