• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusset season passes - wtf!?

The Sneak

My retired father went to order his bronze pass a month ago - he’s been a pass holder for years - and was told sorry, we emailed to let you know we are sold out. He has every email from Wachusset and not a single was for any such thing.

He messaged them on FB, was told to call customer service…who never, ever answer the phone. He was told by the social media person they cannot sell one additional senior bronze pass that will be used 10-15 times because of Covid, but maybe customer service can help him out.

What the heck? I get emails about pass deadlines from legit every other hill in New England but Wachusset sold out before fall? I was a silver pass holder for a decade, and don’t recall any such issues. Is this new “pay to reserve a certain day and time slot that you can then pay more money to move in the event you need to” something new?

Piss poor job, Wachusset.

ThatGuy

Seems like the pass sold out or you missed the deadline, definitely annoying but I’m not sure how thats Wachussets fault. Best of luck in getting them to sell him one.

djd66

I would try to reach out to the Crowleys directly. They are good people and I think if you can get in touch with the right person, they will help your Dad. Good luck.

Mt_Wawasee

same issue as last year. I believe there is a waiting list for passholders that miss the deadline. Some pass holders end up deferring or taking a credit due covid concerns/etc and Wachusett starts working thru the waiting list

mlkrgr

It is crazy; and they are taking the same pricing structure as last year which technically means everyone pays the half day price as of 2 years ago. Want to ski a full day? That will be about a 80% price increase vs window pricing 2 years ago. Afternoon sessions also went up.
They definitely benefited from travel restrictions last year, but I do not know how they will get away with the very high day ticket prices this year.
I would probably think they will try to make up for the difference with more multisession ticket availability, but we shall see if that will stick.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It is crazy; and they are taking the same pricing structure as last year which technically means everyone pays the half day price as of 2 years ago. Want to ski a full day? That will be about a 80% price increase vs window pricing 2 years ago. Afternoon sessions also went up.
They definitely benefited from travel restrictions last year, but I do not know how they will get away with the very high day ticket prices this year.
I would probably think they will try to make up for the difference with more multisession ticket availability, but we shall see if that will stick.
Sounds like they are moving to the pricing structure of other resorts. As in they no longer focus on selling single day tickets and instead focus on selling season pass products.

mlkrgr

Sounds like they are moving to the pricing structure of other resorts. As in they no longer focus on selling single day tickets and instead focus on selling season pass products.
The interesting thing is that Wawa's gold pass is now higher than the Epic Northeast past which gives unrestricted access to Crotched which is the most comparable mountain locally you will get. At least the equation still becomes cheaper for bronze for those who just night ski or go midweek. And they still shut many people out of buying a season pass. They seem to be more liberal about the multisession tickets this year vs last but they seem to be banking on a big day ticket business.

machski

This was addressed on the most recent Storm Skiing Podcast.
A couple of interesting remarks from the interview with Jeff Crowley:
- Wachusett came very close to jumping into the lift install void summer 2020 and replacing Polar with a bubble 6 from Dopp. They ultimately decided as did many it would be far too risky in the event construction got shut down mid install.
- Noting he may have just violated non-disclosure agreements, he stated that they did in fact bid on Jay during the first offers and that in his words, made a significant bid for it. He said he was shocked it was not accepted. It does not sound like they will make another offer.

thetrailboss

Staff member
- Noting he may have just violated non-disclosure agreements, he stated that they did in fact bid on Jay during the first offers and that in his words, made a significant bid for it. He said he was shocked it was not accepted. It does not sound like they will make another offer.
That was very interesting. I saw that on LiftBlog. Again, it goes along what I said a couple years ago--watch for someone else to make a move for Jay instead of the usual suspects.

Zand

I'm glad the Crowleys didn't get a hold of Jay and instill their anti tree-skiing culture. (In all fairness, I'm sure it's DCR pressure and not necessarily their doing at Wachusett.)

I don't know how the monkeys that ski Wachusett on midwinter weeknights would ever leave any given night without each putting a scratch in a bubble chair either. Nor do I know how the summit could handle the capacity from a six pack. Scary enough with a quad.

PAabe

Isn't it unusual to have a bubble on a 1000ft local's hill, especially with night skiing? That would get pretty dark inside

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Isn't it unusual to have a bubble on a 1000ft local's hill, especially with night skiing? That would get pretty dark inside

Their clientele would eat up the gimmicks of a bubble chair like no tomorrow. Sub 25 degrees that thing would have a queue that could reach Boston.

I'll clarify...bubbles themselves are not gimmicks...great for cold/long rides. A bubble chair at Wachusett would be neither of those things.

machski

I'm glad the Crowleys didn't get a hold of Jay and instill their anti tree-skiing culture. (In all fairness, I'm sure it's DCR pressure and not necessarily their doing at Wachusett.)

I don't know how the monkeys that ski Wachusett on midwinter weeknights would ever leave any given night without each putting a scratch in a bubble chair either. Nor do I know how the summit could handle the capacity from a six pack. Scary enough with a quad.
Listen to the podcast, totally the DCR and Sierra Club for that matter keeping Wawa tress off limits.

LuckyStrike

Wachusett has bronze passes back on sale for $429. I have a lot to say about this and Wachusett in general but I will say that I bought one at this rate.