• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

War-Themed Ski Resort to open in Russia

BenedictGomez

A war themed ski resort aimed at instilling a sense of pride in war for Russian youth? Gives new meaning to bombing a mogul field. I dont know how closely folks have paid attention to Russian domestic exploits and rising nationalism over the last 4 or 5 years, but they're starting to scare the crap out of me. This one's turbo-weird.

Links to articles below.

"Ski slopes will be located on an imitated battlefield, marked with barbed wire, but it will be made of rubber, there will also be burnt tanks, but you won't get injured bumping on them." According to Mikhalkov, the environment will be for people who want to ensure a patriotic upbringing of the younger generation.

The newly themed ski area will be a war torn Russian battlefied! I mean, is there a better way to combine a sport we all love and cherish with Russia’s war torn history?

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2016/...velop-a-war-themed-ski-resort-for-110-million

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/russian-director-build-ski-resort-905415

Domeskier

Competing for tourists who would otherwise be going to Kim Jong-eun's new resort?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
As first hand memories of the horrors of WW2 are quickly dying off, I feel the world moving back toward lines of thinking that leads to major war. More and more evidence all the time. Even something relatively small in the grand scheme of things like this themed ski resort. :sad:

BenedictGomez

As first hand memories of the horrors of WW2 are quickly dying off, I feel the world moving back toward lines of thinking that leads to major war. More and more evidence all the time. Even something relatively small in the grand scheme of things like this themed ski resort. :sad:

I think this is all very true. In thinking, in action, and in inaction. Like the George Santayana quote, "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Hitler Youth is the first thing that popped into my mind when I read that.

I thought of that too, but it's not just this ski example, there's a "Russian military theme park" (not kidding) they opened last year too (see below from CNN). The Russian government has overtly been propagandizing its' citizens to basically, for lack of a better way to say it, "like war and think that it's cool" etc...

I'm not usually a worrier, but I find all of this ominous (SEE: Above George Santayana quote).

A child plays on a war tank. People eat ice cream as they walk past weapons capable of destroying an entire continent.
Tens of thousands fill a park full of Russia's latest military weapons: Helicopters. Missiles. Tanks. Boats. Submarines. This is the Disneyland of Russia's military. And right now in Russia, patriotism is in. Its President, Vladimir Putin, opened Patriot Park this week in the latest move to capitalize on the popularity in Russia of the country's recent displays of military force.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/17/europe/russia-military-theme-park-reporters-notebook/

BenedictGomez

Understanding that his comments were translated, he still sounds like a nut job.

Interesting article, and make no mistake, when he says:

when they show the cartoon of 10 minutes where all to Yeltsin, the filth, the blood, mud, betrayal, and slavery, and life in Russia began with the 90-ies, it is wrong

What he's calling filth and betrayal, etc... is Democracy, freedom, and capitalism. But I guess if you're an elite Russian zillionaire, you obviously wanted to keep the status quo of Communism, because having the middle class and lower classes with an opportunity to rise up in society threatens your power & wealth.

Here's another interesting detail of the ski resort:

The design of cultural-educational cluster will include battle sites of world war II and the barracks: “generally speaking, if there are ski tracks, laid as they would on the battlefield. They are signified by barbed wire, but rubber, there are burned tanks, but also they must not be hurt. Are “hedgehogs”, and they are also safe.

Hedgehogs are steel, anti-tank defenses that look a bit like jax (below). My guess is this would be something that they will put in the terrain park as a feature for kids to hit. Charming.

Rozsochac.JPG

BenedictGomez

Wow. Putin has been quiet lately.

Does this work with his war theme park?

Maybe they'll have a war theme park & war ski resort combo season pass.

Very similar to the Busch Gardens & Seaworld combo season pass, only with fewer animals and more intercontinental ballistic missiles.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe they'll have a war theme park & war ski resort combo season pass.

Very similar to the Busch Gardens & Seaworld combo season pass, only with fewer animals and more intercontinental ballistic missiles.

I'm serious. It was on NPR a few years back that they were building a theme park that celebrated Russian militarism.

BenedictGomez

I'm serious. It was on NPR a few years back that they were building a theme park that celebrated Russian militarism.

See post #8, and check out the slide show in the CNN link.

Actually, I'd have no problem with a military history indoor/outdoor park/museum if it was for education & history. You could have WWII era bombers, civil was cannons, an awesome firearms collection, some American independence artifacts like Continental uniforms and documents, WWI biplanes, etc.... But reading visitor reports and descriptions from the Putin park you mentioned, it sounds like aggressive Nationalist propaganda to gin up support for war = certainly not educational intent.

thetrailboss

Staff member
See post #8, and check out the slide show in the CNN link.

Actually, I'd have no problem with a military history indoor/outdoor park/museum if it was for education & history. You could have WWII era bombers, civil was cannons, an awesome firearms collection, some American independence artifacts like Continental uniforms and documents, WWI biplanes, etc.... But reading visitor reports and descriptions from the Putin park you mentioned, it sounds like aggressive Nationalist propaganda to gin up support for war = certainly not educational intent.

Ah you did see that. :lol:

jack97

IMO..... we have our own problems. The woman (BAMN) with the bandage on her head is an alleged middle school teacher. I guess Machiavellanism is in vogue in the bay area.

abc

I'm obviously missing the plot.

It sounded like the movie director is trying to make a few bucks with his movie franchise beyond the usual DVD and t-shirts sales. The use of the "patriotic" terms seems more to do with winning government support, either in direct funding, or at least in reduced bureaucratic hoops.

Yes, this idea having any reception at all is alarming. But I'm not sure it's really any serious attempt to poison the mind of the next generation.

raisingarizona

I think if I made a list of things that I like to forget about while skiing war would be among the top 5.

This concept is so weird.

BenedictGomez

Yes, this idea having any reception at all is alarming. But I'm not sure it's really any serious attempt to poison the mind of the next generation.

It definitely is; 100%.

If this was an isolated thing in XYZ random country, I'd agree and just say it's weird, but when it's the 101st recent non-isolated event in Russia that perfectly ties in with their push to stir and create a patriotic, pro-war, nationalistic, emotion, and the builder just happens to be a Putin connection, it's not coincidence.