• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Warren Miller 2004-5 Film?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Has anyone heard anything about the upcoming Warren Miller Film? I enjoyed last year's film and festivities.

"I'll see you next year. Same place, same time."

jwind

Anybody got a tour schedule? Saw last years here in Portland ME It was good but i still like the old classics better.

Mikec13

good question...I have been checking their website and all it shows is last years info...last year at this time the schedule was all set and posted

thetrailboss

Staff member
jwind said:
Anybody got a tour schedule? Saw last years here in Portland ME It was good but i still like the old classics better.

I agree. Less park and more humor/skiing! I also liked it when they actually filmed in New England. Don't get me wrong--I enjoy seeing them all over the world, but I could relate more to the shots taken in New England.

The film is always fun to see though. I saw Glenn Plake at Wachusett in January and met him. He hooked me up with "Cold Fusion" and it's a great flick. :beer:

jwind

.[/quote]

I agree. Less park and more humor/skiing! [/quote]

After all that's what made him famous...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Exactly. His humor and ski touring is what comes to mind for me when I think of Warren Miller, so bring it back.

"You want your ski, go get it!" :wink:

ChileMass

Go to www.ticketmaster.com, enter your zipcode and type in Warren Miller's Impact. I came up with several dates from Oct 28 - Nov 14 where Impact will be playing in Providence, Boston, Albany and Pittsfield. Seats for the Somerville Theatre in Somerville MA are already on sale ($19). Tix for the other venues are on sale 9/1 and are $16.50-19.

Looked at a couple of the websites for the venues and found that at at least one (Palace - Albany) it's cheaper to buy thru Ticketmaster than direct from the Palace ($20.50 online!)!!

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks for the tip we're definately going to check out a show this year :)

All this talk of Skiing and Warren Miller made me break out my copy of Storm before I went to sleep last night... It was worth being 15 minutes late to work this morning ;)

Sparky

Warren miller

Thanks for the update on the lastest Warren Miller movie. I have to agree on the problem with the lack of Eastern skiing. You would think that there are enough lift tickets sold east of the Mississippi that it would warrent at least a few moments in the area that started the whole thing. I wrote a couple of time to the Warren Miller web site about this, there responce indicated that they found that people like to see areas that they have not been. They also expressed concern over the reliability of the weather.

hammer

bvibert said:
All this talk of Skiing and Warren Miller made me break out my copy of Storm before I went to sleep last night... It was worth being 15 minutes late to work this morning ;)

I'm new to the Warren Miller films; so far, I've only watched Ride, but it looks like I can rent others through Netflix. How do the other films compare?

Sparky

All of the Warren Miller movies are worth renting . I have bought a few on eBay and they were as cheap as renting them. On the subject of the lack of Eastern skiing. I have reviewed my collection of Warren Miller videos ( I do have a life, these just make it easier to get through the bad months; July,August etc. ) and the last meaningful Eastern skiing was a bit on Killington in Snowriders2 back in 1997. Thats a long time to ignore such a large protion of the skiing public. angry:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Warren miller

Sparky said:
Thanks for the update on the lastest Warren Miller movie. I have to agree on the problem with the lack of Eastern skiing. You would think that there are enough lift tickets sold east of the Mississippi that it would warrent at least a few moments in the area that started the whole thing. I wrote a couple of time to the Warren Miller web site about this, there responce indicated that they found that people like to see areas that they have not been. They also expressed concern over the reliability of the weather.

In my case, I get stoked when I see great skiers and riders attacking stuff that I ski and can relate to. I'd be thrilled to see Doug Lewis ripping arcs on Elbow at Sugarbush or on a trail at Burke.

They can help the industry and resorts that are off the beaten path, but honestly, how likely is it that I, or the average Joe, is ever going to ski in Africa any time soon?

Have some of both. Try some other great mountains as well (Tucks again? Jay? Mad River?)

Weather is an issue, but it always is and this is what makes New England skiing what it is :wink:

Greg

Staff member

Sparky said:
there responce indicated that they found that people like to see areas that they have not been. They also expressed concern over the reliability of the weather.
I'm not a Warren Miller buff and haven't seen any of his movies in full, but in my opinion, I'd rather see places that I've either been to or hope to visit...

Charlie Schuessler

I am both a Warren Miller & Warren Buffett fan. Miller makes me laugh while watching some very good skiing (and some very bad skiing). Buffet has taught me to invest WISELY. Jimmy Buffett reminds me it's time for a shot of the good stuff!!

bvibert

Staff member

Greg said:
Sparky said:
there responce indicated that they found that people like to see areas that they have not been. They also expressed concern over the reliability of the weather.
I'm not a Warren Miller buff and haven't seen any of his movies in full, but in my opinion, I'd rather see places that I've either been to or hope to visit...

I agree, it would be great to see them skiing in the New England area. Not that I mind seeing footage from far away places that I'll never go... A good mix would be nice :D

BTW, I am not a big Warren Miller buff either. I've only seen a couple of his films, but they sure do make you want to go out and hit some nice powder. Its almost torturous around here, especially when its 80+ outside ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
The shots of Sugarbush and Killington in "Black Diamond Rush" (1994) were great I thought. That movie also had shots from out west and in Europe/Asia. I thought it was a great mix, but to see my home state get 8 minutes of film made me :D to be a skier. Afterall, the ropetow was invented in VT!

Sparky

For those wishing to see ski movies with eastern skiing you might want to try this site.
http://www.meatheadfilms.com/ I read an article in skiing magazine (online) about these guys. Apparently they are a group of college age guys that film exclusively in the east. I have not been able to check out any of their trailers, so I cannot vouch for their work. It might be fun to check them out.