• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville Expansion Receives Green Light

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I pulled this nice little rendition of the expansion from Freeskier.com.

Waterville-Expansion.jpg

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Looks like it'll be mostly blue square terrain. Perhaps those two trails to skiers left will be black diamond?

dlague

The article pretty much summarized it as green and blues to offer their beginners and intermediates more terrain. The fall line is very similar to Valley Run including Upper which is the only blue part and even that is overrated.

Nothing to write home about!

Mapnut

Nevertheless, I've always thought that's exactly what WV needed, because it's a tough transition from Valley Run to the top of White Peak.

Now for a couple of trails to skiers' left of the summit . . .

canobie#1

Eh it's great for them but obviously it's not our speed. I am happy to see them expanding on their family terrain, but I won't be back there anytime soon.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good to see this happening. While I'm not excited about the terrain, I am excited that hopefully it will make Waterville a bit more successful, which may result in future terrain expansions that I could get excited about. That whole bowl skiers left of the summit looks like it has amazing potential.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Might reduce some traffic over off the double too. Tippecanoe and Tyler too get skied off pretty quick

Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

Looks like it'll be mostly blue square terrain.

Isn't all of Waterville? They don't have much in terms of challenge. There are a couple of steeps but this place is targeted toward intermediate families from metro Boston on day trips.

xwhaler

Isn't all of Waterville? They don't have much in terms of challenge. There are a couple of steeps but this place is targeted toward intermediate families from metro Boston on day trips.

Agreed that there is very little in terms of challenge...I do enjoy lapping the Sunnyside chair though on a sunny day.
There are lots of bottlenecks at WV and the blues can be a bit on the narrow side for the emerging intermediate skiier or family. WV doesn't really have many runs where you can cruise without having to worry about trail intersections or merging with others coming off blacks and greens.

WV is odd, its not really geared towards beginners, the layout doesn;t do much for intermediates IMHO, and the advanced/expert skiier will leave wanting more. It's a tall mtn by NH standards but very narrow and skis smaller than it's veritcal would suggest.
If it weren;t for the Sunnyside lift I'd probably never go there to be honest.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
WV has all this history, why not revisit that? Is there any reason why they don't host any WC races or competitions anymore? Have the requirements changed, and they can no longer qualify?

Maybe this pod will spread out the greens and blues a bit, and allow them to host more races? That would be a unique offering that nobody is currently offering, and an excellent niche that I think they could thrive with.

dlague

Agreed that there is very little in terms of challenge...I do enjoy lapping the Sunnyside chair though on a sunny day.
There are lots of bottlenecks at WV and the blues can be a bit on the narrow side for the emerging intermediate skiier or family. WV doesn't really have many runs where you can cruise without having to worry about trail intersections or merging with others coming off blacks and greens.

WV is odd, its not really geared towards beginners, the layout doesn;t do much for intermediates IMHO, and the advanced/expert skier will leave wanting more. It's a tall mountain by NH standards but very narrow and skis smaller than it's vertical would suggest.
If it weren't for the Sunnyside lift I'd probably never go there to be honest.

We skied there for the first time last year and I concur with this post! Sunnyside was the place to be but then I find my self skiing a smaller vertical which leads to waiting in long lines for the White Peak Express. We had an OK time there but it did not exactly make me want to come back. Their vertical seems to be exaggerated by the small section at the top that few seem to ski since the chair is so slow.

Cruising is done in bursts with no long runs from top to bottom with hitting those bottle necks mentioned above.

BTW we skied there because we won a gift card = seasons pass which I used as gift card so we got to experience it for free.

xwhaler

BTW we skied there because we won a gift card = seasons pass which I used as gift card so we got to experience it for free.

I skied there for free also...I buy the Simon Malls gift card for $250 and do most of my X-Mas shopping on that. They give you an unrestricted voucher to either Cranmore/WV. Next yr I may give Cranmore another shot...it's been probably 8 yrs since I was last there.

dlague

I skied there for free also...I buy the Simon Malls gift card for $250 and do most of my X-Mas shopping on that. They give you an unrestricted voucher to either Cranmore/WV. Next yr I may give Cranmore another shot...it's been probably 8 yrs since I was last there.

When do they do that? I would be up for that!

xwhaler

Around Thanksgiving they will probably announce it...it was mentioned in this thread in past yrs if you feel like searching

dlague

Around Thanksgiving they will probably announce it...it was mentioned in this thread in past yrs if you feel like searching

Cool! I will keep an eye on this thread and their website!

Right now it is circus tickets! :puke: