• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback Mountain to cease operations

AdironRider

Well that's an easy question to answer. Management that has no idea what they were doing. The whole idea was flawed, as others have mentioned, a bunch of 14 year old park rats as your bread and butter goes nowhere when you bread and butter doesn't have jobs to pay for anything. How many 14 year olds have jobs?

Smellytele

Well that's an easy question to answer. Management that has no idea what they were doing. The whole idea was flawed, as others have mentioned, a bunch of 14 year old park rats as your bread and butter goes nowhere when you bread and butter doesn't have jobs to pay for anything. How many 14 year olds have jobs?

Not that it worked but they were thinking 14 year kids from Hanover have parents who have money...

AdironRider

Not that it worked but they were thinking 14 year kids from Hanover have parents who have money...

Hanover isn't wall street. The "plan" falls apart when the kids who have money go to other resorts that have money as well. Noone wants to use half assed terrain park features, and no rich Mom or Dad is going to bring their kid to a place like Whaleback.

Smellytele

Hanover isn't wall street. The "plan" falls apart when the kids who have money go to other resorts that have money as well. Noone wants to use half assed terrain park features, and no rich Mom or Dad is going to bring their kid to a place like Whaleback.

No it isn't wall street nor is Claremont. They were looking for the weekday after school/evening kids. No night skiing in that area at all. Closest is Pats Peak.

Riverskier

This may or may not be an acurate assessment, I have no idea. However, I think bobbutts question referred to "what happened" in the auction that was supposed to take place today.

deadheadskier

Staff member
However, I think bobbutts question referred to "what happened" in the auction that was supposed to take place today.

+1

Story should be in the paper within the next few days I would think. Looking forward to reading about. Hoping the eventual result is future skiing operations at Whaleback and they don't stay on NELSAP for long.

Newpylong

Well, by definition my wife and I are rich, and we went there, and brought kids to learn to ski. Guess that blows your argument up.

Whaleback and other mountains are feeders. They offer lower cost options for families that want to teach their kids how to ski and socialize to a degree that is more difficult at larger mountains. When the kid's get big enough and bored, they move on to other mountains like Ragged if they can afford it.

The market is absolutely there for the mountain to survive, it just needs minimal improvements and a better operating plan.

dlague

Well, by definition my wife and I are rich, and we went there, and brought kids to learn to ski. Guess that blows your argument up.

Whaleback and other mountains are feeders. They offer lower cost options for families that want to teach their kids how to ski and socialize to a degree that is more difficult at larger mountains. When the kid's get big enough and bored, they move on to other mountains like Ragged if they can afford it.

The market is absolutely there for the mountain to survive, it just needs minimal improvements and a better operating plan.

We skied it and tried it out a couple of times. We are not locals but pass by on the way to Vermont. The lodge is definitely in need of improvement and the chair well that needs improvement too! Better marketing locally, getting sponsors and creative programs might help. We often found comps for Whaleback and that does nothing for revenue.

AdironRider

Right, because an exception makes a rule. Obviously, the market IS NOT THERE, considering in the history of Whaleback, no one has been successful. Were talking like 3-4 ownership groups and decades of trying.

SkiRaceParent

Not to pick a fight, but this is one of the greatest a-hole comments I've heard in a while. What IS the definition of Rich?

Newpylong

Right, because an exception makes a rule. Obviously, the market IS NOT THERE, considering in the history of Whaleback, no one has been successful. Were talking like 3-4 ownership groups and decades of trying.

No. It was owned by two groups since the mountain's inception, the first for nearly 40 years, the last group you know about.

Like I said, the market is there but was managed poorly. They never achieved the outside funding levels that they were looking for and got buried in debt by spending a million off the bat and two piss poor winters.

Last edited: