• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What are some of the newest ski areas in the Northeast?

Mildcat

They have been around awhile. I believe BS was opened late '50s or early '60s. I could be wrong. I believe they are going to try to open the lower mountain again this year, however, the NELSAP listing is getting closer and closer. There is a dispute on plowing the access road.

Search facebook for "Squaw Mountain". There is an alumni site with some great stories and photos.

Hey thanks for the info. It will be a shame if they end up on NELSAP. I've never been there but if they could get the upper Mt lift running again I would love to check the place out.

neil

Yawgoo Valley?

When I was at URI the "story" was that Yawgoo came to built from the dirt from them building the Ryan Center :)

wa-loaf

Hey thanks for the info. It will be a shame if they end up on NELSAP. I've never been there but if they could get the upper Mt lift running again I would love to check the place out.

The guy who owns it lives in Florida and won't really put any money into it and won't sell for some reason.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Xanadu. :lol:

Not open yet. ;-)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
In the book on Killington: A Story of Mountains and Men, there's a list in the appendix showing Vermont's ski areas by date of operation. The three youngest are: Bolton Valley (December 1966), Quechee Lakes (1967) and Bear Creek Mountain Club (2000).
Bear Creek was Round Top before it was reopened as Bear Creek so the operating company was new but not the ski area.

RISkier

Yawgoo Valley?

When I was at URI the "story" was that Yawgoo came to built from the dirt from them building the Ryan Center :)

Good story. If true Yawgoo would actually have some vertical. It's also said that the state landfill is the highest point in RI. Keep waiting for them to add some snowmaking. I have no idea when Yawgoo started operation but definitely before the Ryan Center.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Bear Creek was Round Top before it was reopened as Bear Creek so the operating company was new but not the ski area.

I believe Round Top opened in March of 1965.

How long has Big Squaw in Maine been around? I tried checking their website to find out but none of the links are working. Are they still open? I also checked NELSAP and they're not listed on there.

Squaw likely opened in December of 1963 or January of 1964.

Skimaine

There is some great skiing on the upper mountain. The trails are classic New England style. The runs are long with almost no cross cuts. In the last few years they cut a number of glades.

UVSHTSTRM

I believe Round Top opened in March of 1965.

Squaw likely opened in December of 1963 or January of 1964.

I could ask my dad, I think it was 64, not sure, his dad was one of the original founders of Big Squaw. I can't remember exactly how it started, but my grandfather worked for Great Northern or some large paper company and they were either sold or leased the land by Great Northern to build Squaw. Man it's sad I can't remember, my dad told me the whole story 20 years ago when I first started riding....and Big Squaw was my home mountain. My dad actually has a couple of the original paper stocks from Squaw.

Skimaine

I could ask my dad, I think it was 64, not sure, his dad was one of the original founders of Big Squaw. I can't remember exactly how it started, but my grandfather worked for Great Northern or some large paper company and they were either sold or leased the land by Great Northern to build Squaw. Man it's sad I can't remember, my dad told me the whole story 20 years ago when I first started riding....and Big Squaw was my home mountain. My dad actually has a couple of the original paper stocks from Squaw.

I learned to ski at Big Squaw (I started late in life) and it holds a special place for me as well. I believe Scott Paper build the "resort".

UVSHTSTRM

I learned to ski at Big Squaw (I started late in life) and it holds a special place for me as well. I believe Scott Paper build the "resort".

Yes, Scott Paper, for some reason I always think of GN instead. And I think my grandfather rather than founder may have been asked by his employer Scott Paper or whoever it was to lead the development. My grandfather was a well traveled skier.....my dad has some great slides of his travels, Squaw Valley, Swiss Alps etc......very envious of what my grandfather was able to do. Anyways, I will have to ask my dad about it before I completely confuse myself and others. Bottom line, Squaw could still be something and it's a shame that it's basically a mountain with just a history and no future. In a perfect world Squaw would be fine with just the triple and a pair of doubles that go from the base to midstation and midstation to summit....oh and about a million dollars worth of snowmaking.......haha. So simple when your playing imaginary millions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For the east, Snowshoe is relatively 'young' for a major mountain development. They opened in 1974

Geoff

Good story. If true Yawgoo would actually have some vertical. It's also said that the state landfill is the highest point in RI. Keep waiting for them to add some snowmaking. I have no idea when Yawgoo started operation but definitely before the Ryan Center.

Yawgoo Valley dates back to the late-1960's.