• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What Constitutes a Ski Club?

wa-loaf

LOL....not disagreeing with ya' steamboat1,
...But any property owner who hasn't seen the traffic to/from these ski-cat_houses, and doesn't know how to interview for tenants, deserves what they get...
Ideal places for a lot of drug dealing.... If you have place close to mtns, having the place so wired is not a bad idea.

$.01

c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg

Hawkshot99

LOL....not disagreeing with ya' steamboat1,
...But any property owner who hasn't seen the traffic to/from these ski-cat_houses, and doesn't know how to interview for tenants, deserves what they get...
Ideal places for a lot of drug dealing.... If you have place close to mtns, having the place so wired is not a bad idea.

$.01

I was quite confused as well. But I think he is saying that every ski club house is just a front for drug dealing....

dlague

What a bunch of cheap bastards.

Belonging to a club, especially one with a house, is much more than discount tickets.

Plus your club would have to belong to a ski council to be eligible.

Guilty! I am a cheap bastard! We ski based on deals we get. Not sure I would have time ro hang at a ski house.

C-Rex

There hasn't been a real "party hardy" ski club in the state since the 90s, to my knowledge. Connecticut has never been known for its parties. The ski clubs are the same. Almost all are family clubs.

Personally, I think you're crazy to start your own club. It's a LOT of work. There are committee members, monthly voting, "government" positions. It's not just get a bunch of people who pay dues to get a bite out of the CSC deals and then call it a day.

Some example club "government":
http://www.ctsnowsnakes.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Snow-Snakes_bylaws_2012.pdf
http://www.wintersetskiclub.org/Constitution/aConstitution.htm
Seems like fun right?

So I wouldn't be asking Nick to put together an AZ ski club on top of all the fantastic deals works out with ski resorts for us already.

It really depends on what your club offers. Ours is a no frills club that just gets CSC deals. There's 3 of us in "government" positions: Our club president that runs the bulk ticket program, our site manager who takes care of the online membership form and paypal account, and myself, who runs the membership drive, and plans trips if I feel like doing one. I do about 20 hours a year total work. The officers get a few free lift tickets for their trouble and the rest of the club dues go to CSC for their dues, then whatever is left we use for our yearly happy hour party and to subsidize trips. CSC meetings are one Tuesday a month for about an hour and they take the summer off. It's actually fun to go and talk to other avid skiers/snowboarders, exchange ideas, and plan winter adventures.

I'm certainly not saying Nick should take it on but if some AZers did want to do a club it's not really THAT much work, especially considering the ass load of discounts it brings with it. Oh and most CSC clubs make their trips and events open to other clubs so joining one is kinda like joining all of them.

steamboat1

Aren't you the guy who only skis when it's cheap?

No I have a season pass that I paid retail for. The fact that I get the pass down to $20 a day or less by the end of the season is a benefit of being a pass holder. True I ski around other places when I can get a discount, who doesn't look for a deal, but I only ski places I want to go to. I don't ski someplace just because of a deal. My comment was about those who would only join a ski club to take advantage of discounts offered & for no other reason. Most clubs, especially those with a house, don't need dead heads who do nothing for the club. It sounds like this is what most in this thread are looking to do..

powhunter

if just looking for cheap discounts no need to reinvent the wheel, there are plenty of clubs that have very low dues.

here is the one i belong to:

CAST Ski Club

castskiclub@sbcglobal.net
Membership: Student; $5
Individual; $10
Family; $15
All new or replacement ID cards are $1 per membership card.

there are no meetings, no house, no nothing except access to CSC(ct ski council) discounts. pays for itself on the first visit (usually). i don't think you need to live in CT either. other clubs cost more and have more benefits. more benefits might be nice, depending on what you are looking for out of a club. i just want discounted days at a variety of mountains.

I am a member of this fine organization. Connecticut Apres Ski Team LOL....never met anyone but love the discounts....except gmcunni

Steveo

BenedictGomez

Guilty! I am a cheap bastard! We ski based on deals we get. Not sure I would have time ro hang at a ski house.

Same here.

I dont want to be an uber-involved voting participant in a actively social ski club (though I think it's great if others do), I just want to pay $10 and get an official looking plastic "Ski club card" with my name on it that I can show at a ticket window to get discount lift tickets on certain days.

Anyone got a suggestion for that?

steamboat1

Same here.

I dont want to be an uber-involved voting participant in a actively social ski club (though I think it's great if others do), I just want to pay $10 and get an official looking plastic "Ski club card" with my name on it that I can show at a ticket window to get discount lift tickets on certain days.

Anyone got a suggestion for that?
Take your pick:
http://www.newjerseyskicouncil.org/MemberClubsMain.asp

C-Rex

Just a thought, but you can get group discount tickets at most areas. Do clubs simply have enough members that they avail themselves of this discount?

Sometimes. But that usually requires enough people showing up on a given day to warrant the group rate. The ski council works with the resorts to negotiate Awareness days with special pricing. Those prices are usually well below group rate. I'm sure a group could call themselves a club and get group rate, but to get club discounts it generally takes a bit more. The CT Ski Council has thousands of members and that gives us a lot of buying power.