• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you like about skiing besides skiing

jimk

Great thread. I'll try to add my photos to some of the good comments.

I like being in the mountains. I like winter. I like road trips.
A-Basin
CopyofDSCF0630.jpg

Going somewhere new and different is great. Also the quiet of the mountain after a snowstorm and viewing everyone running around the base area from above.
Jackson
LL

Besides skiing and terrain. I would say quality time with the Family on the slopes and the views on top of the mtn.
Keystone
900x900px-LL-c4f4866a_CopyofDSCN9815.jpeg

Did somebody say apres hot tubbing?
Loaf
LL

Bringing my own picnic for lunch on the mountain:
Beaver Creek (day of Bode's last FIS/WC race)
LL

Last edited:

dlague

CopyofDSCF0630.jpg

Did somebody say apres hot tubbing?
LL

Bringing my own picni for lunch on the mountain:
LL

Budwieser?

Picnicking on the mountain is awesome at Vail they actually have places to sit down throughout the mountains. But nothing wrong with finding a spot anywhere at any mountain and doing that. Best views for having lunch are right there. But you will need a backpack for at least one run.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

Yes. This was day of Bode's last competition when he crashed and cut his leg. You guys wouldn't give me a hard time about packing Bud if you knew the effort it took to smuggle past security:) This was during World Championships at BC in early Feb 2015.

4aprice

A-Basin
CopyofDSCF0630.jpg

Jim who needs a lift when you could ski right from your car there. My son had me drop him off at the top of the pass and skied down to the hairpin with a choice area to pull off. Did it a couple of times one spring day after the lifts shut.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

saragoldsmith

My favorite is meeting people on lifts. Especially people older than me that are rocking out or up for the full season. I love that adventure doesn't get old!

saragoldsmith

As much as I like skiing, the not skiing parts are sometimes the most memorable: cabins, condos, stories, beers!

SIKSKIER

My favorite is meeting people on lifts. Especially people older than me that are rocking out or up for the full season. I love that adventure doesn't get old!

You wouldn't have wanted to meet my buddy on the lift back in the 80's.He rode the old Cannon summit t-bar without a stitch of clothing on except his socks and gloves.

jimk

Someone once told me they only skied for the food.

there's part of a bratwurst under there somewhere:
LL

Only about $10 for a fully loaded and super tasty dog was actually a pretty good value at DV. Came with two pieces of bacon, a big shot of chili, etc, etc.