• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"What if ASC fails?" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ASC

All ASC resorts offer(ed) a $299 seasons pass?
Did someone say that? My point is that it seems y'all want something for nothing. The true ski bum NEVER pays full price(unless it is an epic day and you have no choice). Suck it up and stop all the whining about ticket prices. It's still cheaper than a NY Rangers game.
EDIT: and the last time I checked, you can't bring your own lunch&beer to a Rangers game.

skijay

ASC...no need to get so nasty, I just asked a question about a $299 pass based on your previous post:

" That is just MALARKEY. $299 season passes put skiing out of reach of the middle class? C'mon now teachie. You wanna go on the cheap, get your Mobil discounts, brown-bag yer lunch and don't whine. It costs boatloads of money to put up the superior product that all ASC resorts do. You want second class, go to a low-budget operation like Burke or Magic. I like first class conditions myself "

Where did you get that I am whining about ticket prices based on my question?

A

ASC

Who was being nasty? Just pointing out that if you try JUST A LIL, you won't have to pay full price for a ticket. ASC gets unfairly slagged for trying to run a business like.., well like a BUSINESS 8)

Beartrap

teachski said:
ASC said:
Beartrap said:
If ASC fails then Mount Snow should be in better hands. I never liked what ASC has done to our ski area's. Less lift and mountain improvements, and more hotels. I never could understand why ignore the mountain for real estate. It's time to take our SKI LTD mountains back from the non- new englanders.
Then why don't you put together a group and show us all how it is done? I would also venture to say that the majority of business at Mt. Snow is from "non-New-Englanders" - what does that have to do with anything?[/quote]

Could this be because of what they have done to "our mountains"? Is it possible that that is the way that ASC wanted it? Many New Englanders cannot afford to ski at places like Snow and Killington and opt for the places with more reasonable rates, smaller lines and a more traditional NEW ENGLAND feel. I know that I cannot afford to take more than one or two trips per year to places like Snow, Killington and some of the other more comercial Non-ASC places in NE and I make good money. If I were to go to these places more, I would ski a lot less frequently...that would not be a good thing!

Have you ever heard of the K.I.S.S. principle (Keep It Simple Stupid), I think that would apply here. ASC seems to be trying to put skiing out of reach of the middle class worker. They are focusing too much on making their areas mini Taj Mahal's, catering too much to the rich and forgetting all about the locals.

Exactly what I was going for....Although the GM of Mount Snow does want to get rid of some of the Yan lifts, including the Summit Express aka the Yankee Clipper. I used to own stock in ASC many moons ago, it was originally SKI LTD stock. I figured another central Mass person would see what I was saying.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
ASC said:
Who was being nasty? Just pointing out that if you try JUST A LIL, you won't have to pay full price for a ticket. ASC gets unfairly slagged for trying to run a business like.., well like a BUSINESS 8)
...and we all obviously know exactly What buttons to push to get you going too! :lol:

I never said that I would NOT pay to ski at an ASC place...I just said that I prefer not to pay that price for things I do not want or do not need. I'd rather get the "cheap" ticket in a place where you do not wait in line all day than get an expensive ticket at a place where the lines are long. I'd rather ski every weekend, than just a couple of times. I also like the freedom to ski as many different areas that I can, without being tied into any specific area. Believe me, I know how and where I can get discounts, I rarely, if ever pay full price.

Beartrap

ASC said:
All ASC resorts offer(ed) a $299 seasons pass?
Did someone say that? My point is that it seems y'all want something for nothing. The true ski bum NEVER pays full price(unless it is an epic day and you have no choice). Suck it up and stop all the whining about ticket prices. It's still cheaper than a NY Rangers game.
EDIT: and the last time I checked, you can't bring your own lunch&beer to a Rangers game.

I never was talking about ticket prices. That is called inflation. Just the way ASC runs things can be mind boggling. At Snow the way they have the midweek lifts running just does not make any sense. I love Mt Snow, and always will, but it is time for ASC to sell it to someone else. BTW ASC does not always have perfect conditions. One word they like to use for hardpacked ice is frozen granular. That is all I will say to keep a flame war.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
ASC said:
AGAIN, this is just my opinion!
You have the right to be wrong. FYI The Sunday River/Attitash $299 pass WORKS WEEKENDS except during the 2 holiday weeks and MLK weekend. The MOBIL discounts work SUNDAYS as well. Boot up, buy a ticket and stop whining. :wink:

and so do you!

Lets see...
Sunday River(AKA Someday Bigger)...5 hour drive...NOT a day trip...Sunday RIver Lodging $120+ per night for 1 person.

Attitash (AKA Attatrash) 4+ hour drive,,not exactly a day trip either...lodging also more than $100 per night.

Even a "flea bag" motel in these areas charge at least $50 per night.

So you get the pass for $299 and go every weekend staying in a "flea bag" 2 nights to ski 1 1/2 days, Lodging = $100 a week, 10 times = $1000 for lodging, a day's skiing now costs about $86 a day, ( $129 /1.5), and this is with my own equipment. What a deal, What a deal!

Magic= under 2 hr drive - $46 ticket
Burke = 4 hr drive (free lodging at brother's) 2 day ticket $80

Hmmmmmm! and this doesn't include any discounts. FOr ME this makes more sense!

(NOTE: I only included Magic and Burke because they are the areas ASC is knocking)

A

ASC

catering too much to the rich and forgetting all about the locals.
Just noticed you live in Barre, MA, Teach - Hate to tell ya, but you're not A Local to any ASC resorts. Maybe to Machusett or whatever that place is in Central MA. I think there is a phrase for skiers from the Bay State - it began with MASS - I can't remember the rest of it. :idea:

R

RJ

I’m going to assume for the sake of argument ASC, that you do not represent the American Ski Company in any official compacity or are a spokesperson for that organization. If you were, you would therefore embody everything that is wrong with that company. Your professional decorum is non-existent and you become defensive over the slightest criticism of the organization. If you do represent the organization in some official way, you must be either related to an executive of the company or you are sleeping with one. No organization with any contact with the general public would have such an immature representative as its spokesperson.

A

ASC

I represent myself. As far as being immature, I would say that incessant whining about a corporation whose mission is to provide you with the thing you love best (skiing/boarding) is most immature and biting the hand that feeds you. If you want to whine about a corporation, maybe you should do it about ENRON, HALIBURTON, or all of the corporations (AMEX, JP MORGAN CHASE, etc etc etc etc) that are moving our jobs to India, China and the Phillipines. You should be THANKING ASC for attempting to keep mountain sports ALIVE! :eek:
EDIT: and as far as 'The slightest criticism, what got me on a roll was saying that ASC is putting skiing out of reach of the middle class. Rubbish, I say.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
ASC said:
catering too much to the rich and forgetting all about the locals.
Just noticed you live in Barre, MA, Teach - Hate to tell ya, but you're not A Local to any ASC resorts. Maybe to Machusett or whatever that place is in Central MA. I think there is a phrase for skiers from the Bay State - it began with MASS - I can't remember the rest of it. :idea:

I never said I was a local...GOD, if I were a local I definately could not afford to pay for a ticket at an ASC area, Vermont and Maine teachers make about 60% of what Massachusetts teachers make.

My point is...ASC does not cater to skiers! They cater to people with lots of money who "wanna be" skiers. They cater to beginners who tote their Volkl 6*'s, Stockli's or other expensive skis around, but don't know how to ski on them, the BMW, Mercedes, etc. crowd, those who think skiing means taking 2 runs on a green trail (marked with blue or black) then sit in the lodge looking important or retire to the slopeside condo jacuzzi. REAL skiers ski an area for the terrain, not for the "luxuries"

skijay

ASC let's try this one more time... Was there a $299 seasons pass for ASC resorts offer or offered this season.? That was my only question to you. Again, NO WHERE in my post am I complaining about ticket prices.

Please Advise.

A

ASC

Was there a $299 seasons pass for ASC resorts offer or offered this season.?
Yes there was, and it was quite heavily advertised. You are telling me this is the first you've heard of it?

Greg

Staff member
ASC said:
I think there is a phrase for skiers from the Bay State - it began with MASS - I can't remember the rest of it. :idea:
Duh....aren't you from Boston? :roll:

skijay

ASC....Yes it is the first time that I have heard of, that is why I was asking you since you mentioned it. Again, I am not whining about ticket prices.

Was the pass for all of the ASC resorts or just certain ones (if you remember)?

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Ah-ha! a Bostonian....figures!

Again...real skiers go for terrain and can do without the glitzy glammour things....they're there to ski. A ritzy hotel at the bottom is NOT needed...the focus should be on skiing. If they want to focus on skier comforts how about ASC spending some money on the DUMPY lodge and the Summit Building at Mt. Snow. Last year when I was there the roof at the summit leaked and the bathroom had broken fixtures and doors. The base lodge was disgustingly dirty, even when we arrived at 8:15. I'm not talking about making them ritzy, just useable and clean.

A

ASC

Again, teach, you profess to speak for ALL real skiers. Maybe, just maybe, some real skiers like slopeside hottubs and other accoutrements?
Skijay, they offered $299 SunRiv/Attitash combo, good weekends too, only blacked out the 2 holiday weeks and MLK w/e. Great deal. I think they had a midweek Killington pass as well? Plus they have the METicket, which also gives you good discounts. So, in conclusion, if you pay full-price for as ASC ticket, you didn't try very hard in advance.

skican

Geez, enough with the Boston/Mass people. Some of us are really nice people. The $299.00 pass (from our friend who wanted to know) was offered as an early bird incentive late last year. You had to purchase it by a certain time and then they extended it for awhile. Teacher, I'm with you. I ski as cheaply as I can. I (please don't tell my boss) will use an occasional sick day and take advantage of the 2 for 1 at Cannon, Wildcat and other areas. You can go online and print a coupon off for Okemo, 2 for 1. I know it's a long drive but I have gotten great deals at Sugarloaf this year for $50.00 a person per night and included my lift ticket. Was there for Blue Oyster Cult. The first weekend in February they are offering an $89.00 weekend. I booked a condo for the last week in March(5 days midwk) for 4 people and it's only going to cost $300.00 per person and includes lift.

ASC, this is not an oppurtunity for you to pick on me so please don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.