• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What Mountain hypothetically could be the Spring Skiing Capital of the East?

deadheadskier

Staff member
How much time do you reckon it takes off your trip by cutting up 290 through Worcester? I'm certainly not saying your lying, but 3:45 seems way short. I say this because I have family in Westboro, MA and getting there from Portland takes an 1:45 going near 80 the whole way. From my place here in Portland, it's a solid 1:40 to the River. Granted, it takes me 15 minutes to get to exit 53 on 95 and truly on my way.

Not that Mapquest is the end all be all, but it puts the drive from where you are at 250+ miles. To do that in 3:45, you really have to be moving considering the last 70 miles you average maybe 50 mph on 26.

loafer89

Taking route 290 saves about 15 miles each way, but you have to obey the 50 mph speed limit through downtown Worcester because of a twisty road. It's a 65 mph speed limit for most of the interstate driving which I go about 75 in and we also left on thursday evening at 7pm and had the road to ourselves. Route 26 is usually the slowest part, but it was deserted so we made good time going the speed limit for the most part.

It's a 255 mile trip door to door which takes 4 hours even according to my GPS which is very accurate, the breakdown of the trip is:

3.1 miles to I-84
31 miles to I-90
43 miles to I-290
64 miles to I-495
200 miles to exit 11, route 26
254 miles to Sunday River

deadheadskier

Staff member
You know, I do a fair amount of business in the Berkshires and never take 290, always go down to the Pike in Westboro for no other reason than that's what mapquest says to do. I'll have to try it out next trip out there.

loafer89

Route 290 used to be a nightmare with road and bridge construction in Worcester, but now it's completed and nice and smooth, just beware that the speed limit in town is 50mph for about a 5 mile stretch and it's cop infested. Before and after Worcester it's all 65mph.

Usually I am in the middle lane on the interstate part of the drive with the cruise control set at 74mph.

The worst part of a Sugarloaf trip is the 88 miles from the Gray exit through Auburn, Jay, Farmington and Kingfield.

Rogman

Being successful in the spring is like real estate, it's all about location, location, location. Got to have a north facing slope to hold the snow, high enough elevation that it stays cool, a trail well positioned to create a festive atmosphere, and close enough to the major metro areas to draw the crowds. At Killington, Superstar, even sans the KBL deck, meets all those criteria, while the Canyon is a bit isolated, and Bear faces East, so it won't hold the snow as long. Sugarloaf will make a run this year, but it is way too far for a day trip, and even a weekend is tough. Others can do it, but if the current owners ever get their heads out of their butts, K will own spring.

What about Mount Snow..they have a pretty high base elevation and are close to NYC and Boston..and they blew alot of snow this season..Maybe they'll make May..a real embarrassment to Killington..in my humble opinion..When I was in college..I could always count on getting a day in at Killington on Reading day which was around the 2nd week in May..a damn shame..

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
What about Mount Snow..they have a pretty high base elevation and are close to NYC and Boston..and they blew alot of snow this season..Maybe they'll make May..a real embarrassment to Killington..in my humble opinion..When I was in college..I could always count on getting a day in at Killington on Reading day which was around the 2nd week in May..a damn shame..

Considering location, I think Mount Snow could take the title from Killington for the next couple of years. Or to put it better, until Killington managemnet get their heads out of there ass. Once they realize their mistake, they will retake the crown.

loafer89

Being successful in the spring is like real estate, it's all about location, location, location. Got to have a north facing slope to hold the snow, high enough elevation that it stays cool, a trail well positioned to create a festive atmosphere, and close enough to the major metro areas to draw the crowds. At Killington, Superstar, even sans the KBL deck, meets all those criteria, while the Canyon is a bit isolated, and Bear faces East, so it won't hold the snow as long. Sugarloaf will make a run this year, but it is way too far for a day trip, and even a weekend is tough. Others can do it, but if the current owners ever get their heads out of their butts, K will own spring.

The current owners have no interest in an extended ski season. Since they purchased Mount Batchelor the ski season has been decapitated from a November to July season, to closing in mid - May with tons of snow on the mountain.

SLyardsale

The worst part of a Sugarloaf trip is the 88 miles from the Gray exit through Auburn, Jay, Farmington and Kingfield.

This is the worst way to go. Instead, take 295 thru Portland hook back up with 95 in Gardner - 95 all the way to 2nd Waterville exit (Rt104) - RT104 to 139 to US2 to 16 to 27 etc.. You should be able to do it in 2hrs from Portland everytime - winds and weather permitting. Many get off 95 at RT8/27 in Augusta thru Belgrade, but depending on time of day you could be in a conga line using that option. Never-the-less, the RT4 option thru L/A is way too frustrating.

Edit: BTW - Sugarloaf has confirmed lifts thru at least 5/4/08 and possibly longer.

loafer89

This is the worst way to go. Instead, take 295 thru Portland hook back up with 95 in Gardner - 95 all the way to 2nd Waterville exit (Rt104) - RT104 to 139 to US2 to 16 to 27 etc.. You should be able to do it in 2hrs from Portland everytime - winds and weather permitting. Many get off 95 at RT8/27 in Augusta thru Belgrade, but depending on time of day you could be in a conga line using that option. Never-the-less, the RT4 option thru L/A is way too frustrating.

Edit: BTW - Sugarloaf has confirmed lifts thru at least 5/4/08 and possibly longer.

I have done both of the other routes before, but the GPS says that taking 4/27/16 is the shortest distance to Sugarloaf and would probably save on gas. I think we will try the other two routes again and see how they work.

Thanks for the advice

SLyardsale

Yes - you are going more miles but staying on 2 lane interstate longer. SL is approx 1hr and 10 mins from Waterville & approx 1hr & 20 mins from Augusta. Try the Waterville route - it is less stressfull. I drive it almost everyweekend from so of Boston. I'll admit I drive fast and gladdly pay more in gas to get there faster.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I will have to try this. I live in Portland and haven't tried this. I've never made it to the Loaf in under 2.5 hours. Of consideration is that I live downtown.....but I can get to 295 easy. I always did the 95 route, which takes me 15 mins at least to get to.

Funny stuff. I pose a hypothetical question as a thread title about spring ski areas......I come away with good tips on how to drive to two locations I need to get to frequently in New England. :lol:

Vortex

Sunday River to open 1st Loaf to close last.

I think people will drive to where the lifts are running. I think a discount for pass holders at other moutains would increase the volume as well.

IMO the River make the most sense.

It can stay open late and has in the past. Far enough north to stay cold and get late season snow, when many locals get NCP.

Still has access to a large metropolitan area and portland though not a large city is only 1.5 away.

Loon could become a player with new mangement. They use to open early in november with down loading. Could do that late season.

I have made closing day the last 7 or so years and the upper mountain was still covered well. More late season snow making would be needed to make it realistic. The end of snowmaking just before feb vacation plan would need to be extended a couple of weeks.

I have hiked it in May before and lower picked rock had 5 feet in spots still. The boston market would support late tuns.

Potential Loon and SR. Belief is the Loaf will be the one for the near future.

Edd

I will have to try this. I live in Portland and haven't tried this. I've never made it to the Loaf in under 2.5 hours. Of consideration is that I live downtown.....but I can get to 295 easy. I always did the 95 route, which takes me 15 mins at least to get to.

Funny stuff. I pose a hypothetical question as a thread title about spring ski areas......I come away with good tips on how to drive to two locations I need to get to frequently in New England. :lol:

I take that Waterville route but am convinced it's even quicker to take 295 through Portland/Freeport/Brunswick than to stay on the pike through Gardiner.

Plowboy

Sugarbush!!!! Run the Summit chair and download the GMX. It was done in the early eighties, with sking till the end of May. And you have the Glen House for BBQ and BEER.

Sugarbush!!!! Run the Summit chair and download the GMX. It was done in the early eighties, with sking till the end of May. And you have the Glen House for BBQ and BEER.

EXCELLENT...and Sugarbush is alot closer to most of the people in the northeast than Sugarloaf..

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
If Burke ever ends up putting a lift, snowmaking, and trails in the East Bowl, that would be a contender for a great spring skiing area. Currently there is NO snowmaking and the snow retention is excellent on that side of the Mtn which faces NNE, away from the warmest afternoon sun. The morning sun would warm the suface up early but the midday/afternoon sun wouldn't bake it. Additionally, the base of the lift would be around 2000 feet, and there would be minimal runnout. This is all speculation of course 8) .
I know that the two mtn biking trails that go down the mtn in the E Bowl don't typically open until June because they have to wait for the snow to melt (again this is without any snow making in this area).

Currently the two Sugars ('Bush and 'Loaf) are in the best position to service the spring skier.

SIKSKIER

but I have been to Cannon on their closing day on many occasions and they hardly fill the lot. .
We didn't hardly fill 1/2 the lot on Easter Sunday yeasterday.Any ski area that would try to go late in the season and make it work financially would have to build up a reputation over a few years as did K and has Wc and Bw.
Historically, I remember reading someone saying that Cannon actually made a go for late season on the Cannonball one year. .
About 10 years ago we ran into May but not by uploading with the tram.The tram has always shut down in March until a week before Memorial day wkd.One year around the same time Cannon did use the tram to upload for early season.I have an October 31st ticket from that year.Watching Cannon closely as I have for 35 years,it gets severe meltdowns during the season when most northern areas do not.If you drive through there right now,notice there are no snowbanks right at the top of the notch at the Peabody exit.My house in Mittersill is the same way.Go south about a mile and the snowbanks are still huge.We usually close with a small amount of snow,followed by a big dump.Seems to happen almost every year.What does all this mean?I don't know.I thought I'd give you my observations.